• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
Is this the guy on The Simpsons? I generally avoid lessons with cartoon characters personally.

That's his father, TV personality, Kent Brockman
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
It just floors me that people buy into this sort of garbage. But, they do and they'll keep doing it.

I think the problem is that a lot of people are quite trusting and coercable the first time they encounter this sort of stuff. And this stuff relies on extracting as much money from someone as it can, then moving on to the next gullible person.

I don't think people get repeatedly get sucked in to these things (I hope), it's a one-time thing, but there are enough people out there is always a fresh victim.
Scott Steward

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Shark01 wrote:
Is this the guy on The Simpsons? I generally avoid lessons with cartoon characters personally.

Very interesting. Rich kid probably still living at home while he scams people into his "training program".

So, I ran into this kid via his video "tips" on my "reels" feed and was instantly turned off by his "my way is the only way" attitude. Literally he is telling people (PROs) twice, thee and four times his age that everything they have been taught "is wrong". The more I read of this thread, the more confident I am in my level of discernment.

Wow! This kid is a piece of work. And that is putting it nicely (after using the backspace a lot on what I really wanted to say).
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Steward wrote:
Destructo wrote:
Shark01 wrote:

Very interesting. Rich kid probably still living at home while he scams people into his "training program".

Sorry if I'm missing the joke here, but Kent Brockman is definitely a fictional character, and not Matt Brockman's dad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Brockman

I'm not crazy about the way Brockman presents his ideas either, but let's try to stick to the trumpet content, and not who (we assume) this guy is or isn't.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, a friend of mine told me last night that she did a lesson or webinar with him recently and then this guy wants $8000 a year for lessons. I told her I’m a second year grad trumpet performance student and my tuition is less than that a year and I even get to play in advanced ensembles and write research papers! Well, aside from that we agreed she could get more out of private lessons cheaper. I told her to give Jeff Purtle a call. It’s less expensive and she’ll get real feedback and help.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be Kurt Thompson’s long lost twin!
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it’s son of Cpt. Kirk?
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s going back a bit!

CS_Shofar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Video call with Matt Brockman Reply with quote

Summary of the call:

Matt Brockman was rudely blunt, demeaning, verbally abusive, argumentive and had a very controlling demeanor.

Started the call demanding I tell him why I think he could help me as opposed to somone else...caught me off guard as I was expecting him to tell me or through a collaborative discussion of how he can help me...very odd.

He used unethical high-pressure timeshare like sales tactics, and he wanted $8,000USD/yr.

I told him I needed to think over it, and I could not make a decision on the phone call. He wanted a yes or no answer, and called me a "scared pussy" stating he felt like saying that because I had also served in a US Army Band...and retired from the National Guard.

No additional information on his playing abilities provided.

I kept my composure and refused to argue with him. Just told him I needed to pray over it, and he called me a few more names in an insulting manner, and then he abruptly ended the video call.

Thus, I do not recommend Matt Brockman to any students. His behaviors were unacceptable, completely disrespectful and unprofessional at all levels, and reflects negatively on the professionalism of the US Army Bands.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent Brockman would never act in this manner.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stop wasting time with this guy. Honestly.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I've been waiting YEARS for a user car salesman to teach me trumpet technique!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to add one more thing.

What is being offered here, and what is it's value?

Forget all the "extras," the only unique thing he has to offer is himself. There is an abundance of fantastic literature, recorded workshops / masterclasses and audio recordings that can be obtained for a fraction of $8000 / year. So, let's cut the crap and assume that he values his trumpet lessons at $8000 / year. These are over Zoom, I am assuming.

I don't know the regularity he offers these lessons, but I would assume it's either 2x or 4x a month at an hour a piece.

2x / month x 12 months = 24x
4x / month x 12 months = 48x

$8000 / 24 = $333 or
$8000 / 48 = $166

This would be his per-hour charge. Assuming a 40-hour work week with 4 weeks off per year (let's not forget, he has a full-time gig), he would be making a yearly wage in the range of:

$318k - $637k

So, I'm not a "pro" and I haven't been in the loop for a while. However, the last time I asked, a private teacher with a Master's Degree was making about $40-50/hour teaching private, in-person lessons. I took one lesson with Barbara Butler--arguably one of the world's greatest trumpet pedagogues--and I paid $150 for an hour well-spent. $330/hr minimum for a 20-something post-grad playing with a regional military band? That's straight-up highway robbery.

If anybody is reading this post and even REMOTELY considering purchasing his services, I highly recommend you look elsewhere.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this one has me almost at a loss for words.

I never saw any of this guy's videos, so after reading this thread I went and randomly chose his video on 10 brands of trumpet for beginners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D5satT5GSM
It seemed like he was reading a script written by ChatGPT on a particularly hallucination-prone day.
- He just spouted marketing BS - and not always from the brand he was reviewing.
- He recommended 2 trumpets that have been out of production for decades.
- He treated "Director" as a Conn model, not recognizing its a brand name for a line of dozens of trumpets over a 6 decade period.
- He stated that the Eterna line was specifically designed for students
- Best of all, he talked about the Schilke 14A4a as a student model ML bore trumpet, even while showing the mouthpiece - except for when he showed a bass trombone instead.

So this guy does not know the difference between a trumpet, a mouthpiece, and a trombone - and people pay him for lessons?!

Also, how can he be a former Army bandsman (unless he got kicked out)? Most have graduate degrees before landing that gig, and after the 20 years, you are going to be in your 40s. He looks barely old enough to enlist. I really wonder if that's true.

The most depressing point is that while he would make a viable candidate for president, as the combination of both mental deficiency and pathological lying would appeal to almost 100% of today's voters apparently, I do not understand how this video gets 80+ comments praising its wonderful and informative content - Is the average person today really too stupid to recognize a trombone is not a trumpet?

Just unbelievable....

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
CS_Shofar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OldSchoolEuph"]Also, how can he be a former Army bandsman (unless he got kicked out)? Most have graduate degrees before landing that gig, and after the 20 years, you are going to be in your 40s. He looks barely old enough to enlist. I really wonder if that's true.[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion in my review on the unethical trumpet program saleman Matt Brockman.

What I meant to convey is that I served in a US Army Band and retired from the National Guard...

...and since I had served and retired from the military, Matt Brockman felt that gave him the right to be verbally abusive and disrespectful to me.

I was reserved and did not respond in a hostile way towards him...I only stated that his outlook and mine are very different...my outlook being a very positive one.

I prayed over this, and felt like I needed to post about it on TrumpetHerald to protect others from this unethical and disrespectful person. Then I found this thread on trumpet herald from a year ago.

I didn't know about all the bad reviews concerning this person until afterwards. I was just being open minded and interested to chat with him to learn what he was about and what the program consisted of...and what I learned and experienced in talking with him was horrific.

Again, Matt Brockman reflects poorly on the professionalism of the US Army Bands and negatively on the trumpet community.

Since his program is about results...just imagine how abusive he would be if someone in the program did not get results...or better yet, he probably doesn't care as he has already committed highway robbery in the $8K fee.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS_Shofar wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Also, how can he be a former Army bandsman (unless he got kicked out)? Most have graduate degrees before landing that gig, and after the 20 years, you are going to be in your 40s. He looks barely old enough to enlist. I really wonder if that's true.

Sorry for the confusion in my review on the unethical trumpet program saleman Matt Brockman.

What I meant to convey is that I served in a US Army Band and retired from the National Guard...

...and since I had served and retired from the military, Matt Brockman felt that gave him the right to be verbally abusive and disrespectful to me.

I was reserved and did not respond in a hostile way towards him...I only stated that his outlook and mine are very different...my outlook being a very positive one.

I prayed over this, and felt like I needed to post about it on TrumpetHerald to protect others from this unethical and disrespectful person. Then I found this thread on trumpet herald from a year ago.

I didn't know about all the bad reviews concerning this person until afterwards. I was just being open minded and interested to chat with him to learn what he was about and what the program consisted of...and what I learned and experienced in talking with him was horrific.

Again, Matt Brockman reflects poorly on the professionalism of the US Army Bands and negatively on the trumpet community.

Since his program is about results...just imagine how abusive he would be if someone in the program did not get results...or better yet, he probably doesn't care as he has already committed highway robbery in the $8K fee.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

This is so sad to hear. For those curious, I think he is probably late 20s. Very predatory business model, preying on those who might not know the market rate for extremely high quality one-on-one lessons with a professional musician that lives close to them. I just hope not too many people have their dreams of learning to play trumpet crushed under the consequences of this kind of scam. I’m open to being proven wrong, but my current impression of Matt is that he is a piece of trash.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

I wondered the same thing - he says he's a former member of "The US Army Band" which obviously implies the DC band. Was he in *the* Army Band or *an* Army Band? From the sampling I listened to his sound is clean if somewhat rigid. I find his ballad playing boring. I saw a "range" video where he doesn't demonstrate any playing...?

Nothing specific on his website about which Army band he was part of. I think it's safe to assume if he'd been in the DC band or any of the specialty bands he'd make prominent mention of it.

Quote:
A few months prior to graduating college, I accepted a position as an army musician and relocated to Savannah, GA. In addition to his position, I enjoy freelancing in the Savannah and Hilton Head Island areas.

He refers to himself as a "recording artist" - is this based on his having made recordings for YouTube videos?

I find the style of his "instructional" videos annoying - all the head turning, angled looking at the camera that seems deliberate and practiced like every local TV news anchor and some of what he says strikes me as nonsense such as making a direct analogy to singing - a "baritone breath" a "soprano breath"...?

deanoaks wrote:
heavily auto-tuning his performance to the point of effectively just being a midi file. In certainly instances, it's apparently that he's splicing takes together at the 16th note but trying to pass it off as legitimate.

Okay, I see I'm not the only one to pick up on the artificiality of his recorded sound - that would explain it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Finally, I've been waiting YEARS for a user car salesman to teach me trumpet technique!

Kurt Thompson has been doing it for years. I think he's a real estate agent in real life.
Supposedly a real obnoxious individual as well.
BRM2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually enrolled in his course. I did not sign up for a year though. I flat out told him that that was not an option at that price. We worked out a shorter deal.

I am a former Army Bandsmen and wanted to support another Army Bandsmen so I bought his book. I thought the concepts were interesting and had some success with implementing them into my playing. I contacted him originally to try to get a lesson so I could learn more about some of his concepts. He was not interested in giving a single lesson. Against my better judgement after negotiating a way more inexpensive cost, I took a chance on the course. It sounded fine and I felt like I could trust someone in my former line of work. I have also supported other Army Bandsmen in the past and have had good interactions with them.

I immediately had buyers remorse when I delved deeper in the course. My main reason for getting the course was to improve my endurance and I wanted more in depth information about his concepts of sound production and addressing embouchure issues. I found that the information concerning this topic was no different from the free materials online and his book. Also, because of my location, all of the live coaching calls occurred during the middle of the night for me. While I could not attend the coaching calls, they are all recorded and archived. Also, while Matt is available to answer questions, I have not seen him on a coaching call.

He does add in lots of standard exercises with descriptions of how to practice the items as well. Things like tonguing, articulation, flow studies, etc. There are additional items addressed like dealing with performance anxiety as well as how to approach various excerpts. It is very organized.

There are also lots of masterclasses from well known players as well which I thought was pretty good.

One on one lessons are now available, not with Matt though. Upgrade to course which is good.

The members of the course seem pretty happy with it. I think the majority of people are older adult comeback players, older adult beginners/intermediate players, and a handful of more advance players. There is definitely a sense of community there and different monthly challenges especially if you don't have an ensemble nearby to play in. Everyone cheers everyone on because we are all working on improving. All of the members are very nice and the instructors are great people as well. It is a complete contrast to the way Matt comes across. I hope none of the member's are paying as much as what was mentioned earlier in the thread.

At this point, I still have a little buyer's remorse but the one on one lessons and availability of coaching calls now has improved my thoughts slightly. I am ensuring that I get my money's worth by using all of the resources the course provides. I am viewing all of the master classes, participating in coaching calls (which are now available at more convenient times for me), taking all the one on one lessons I can, and getting all of my questions answered.

I think the course is best for adult comeback players and adult beginners/intermediate players if you have the money and enjoy practicing with a group and the community aspect. I would still recommend that the same individual could take weekly lessons with someone local and get just as far, if not further or sign up for a more inexpensive course that charges monthly. If you are an advance player, you should steer clear of this course.

Nothing is worth the price point mentioned earlier in the thread.
Marcinkiewicz E13 C. FINDLEY
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
GR 67MS
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRM2 wrote:
Also, because of my location, all of the live coaching calls occurred during the middle of the night for me. While I could not attend the coaching calls, they are all recorded and archived. Also, while Matt is available to answer questions, I have not seen him on a coaching call.

Can you clarify the above? What does a coaching call consist of? How does someone coach you if you're not there actively participating?

Did he clarify the specifics of his Army Band career? Which band or bands was he a member of?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: