• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Prodigy vs. Working for it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Prodigy vs. Working for it Reply with quote

How many of the pro trumpeters are prodigies vs they just worked their a$$ off to get good?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see. How do we quantify that?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Prodigy vs. Working for it Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
How many of the pro trumpeters are prodigies vs they just worked their a$$ off to get good?

This is the easiest answer, ever.

All of them. All of them worked their butts off. Anyone who is pro that you've heard of and most of the ones you haven't practiced more, better, smarter, and harder than anyone who isn't one. There are plenty of people that didn't make it to that level that probably worked that hard as well, just not as successfully.

The idea of a prodigy or being a "natural" is mostly bull$h!&. It helps to have some natural ability, sure, but it's meaningless without the actual work.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the pros didn't work for it. None. Most of the lazy prodigies make it through college and that's about it for them.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main advantage to having talent probably isn't that a person has to work less hard, but rather that the result of their efforts is even better. But the whole notion of being able to play a musical instrument at even a semi-professional level without putting in loads of effort seems ridiculous to me. Then again, I don't have talent so what do I know?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject: What is prodigy? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Let's see. How do we quantify that?

I guess it begins with defining, "prodigy".

FWIW, it seems to me that most professional musicians did not start as prodigies.

It also seems to me that the majority of musical prodigies start on instruments other than the trumpet..... not that we can't find examples of 7-year-old (or younger) kids playing trumpet as well as some young adults (20-25 years of age) who have been playing for 10 years.

Finally, it seems to me that the majority of professional musicians do start in musical activities of some kind at an early age, and use the huge time windfalls of their childhood to practice and hone their skill while their non-musical, or music-casual, peers do other things with all that free time childhood offers.

Nothing I wrote so far really defines prodigy. They are only my observations about the pro trumpeters I know of, when I hear them give testimony to how they started and how they practiced.

Nearly all of them reveal that they were deadly serious about practicing and playing the trumpet by the time they were 16 years of age, sometimes slightly younger. But it doesn't seem to me that they are many of them who were playing the Haydn concerto with the local professional orchestra at the age of six. Or tossing off a mature interpretation of the Hindemith sonata like it was an afterthought when auditioning for an arts-oriented junior high school. Or entering some kind of special arrangement with the local conservatory in which they study music at a super-high level with college-age kids while either being homeschooled or tutored in the other subjects, all at the tender age of 8. Or signing their first major recording contract at the age of 13.

I accept that I can be wrong. What I wrote in the above paragraph doesn't even apply to players like Wynton Marsalis, or Sergei Narkariakov, or Tine Thing Helseth, yet I'll admit I'm unsure about it in general.

Here are some definitions of prodigy I pulled from the 'net:

Merriam-Webster
A highly talented child or youth

Cambridge
Someone with a very great ability that usually shows itself when that person is a young child.

Collins
A prodigy is someone young who has a great natural ability for something such as music, mathematics, or sports.

MacMilland
Young person with great natural ability.

Brittanica
A young person who is unusually talented in some way.

Urban
A person who is usually unbelievably, exceptionally good at the things they do, sometimes with little to no effort at all.

LOL, the online Urban dictionary seems to give the most useful definition, but someone can come along a nitpick about what they mean by the adjectives used.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real 'prodigies' are rare, and probably a very small percentage of all 'pro players'.

It is likely that many (most / all ?) 'pro players' found trumpet playing fairly easy and enjoyable from the start. From that beginning they continued to work hard and improve. But there are situations where successful players needed to learn and make changes to the way they played in order to continue. At some point their 'natural ability / inclination' was not enough and they needed to find what was wrong, and then fix it.

My view is that with good teaching and good practice, trumpet is fairly easy for most people. Part of the 'problem' is that 'good teaching' is not always available, and 'good practice' is not always the chosen path.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

« Le génie n'est qu'une plus grande aptitude à la patience.«  ( Buffon, French naturalist of the 18 th century)
(« Genius is only a greater aptitude for patience« )
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, you might be a natural "musician" or a natural "performer," but there is no such thing as a natural "professional." That takes work. It's the same in every field.

I'm a programmer, and the same is true in my field. I don't like working with "natural" programmers. They're too clever for their own good. The code they write is over-engineered and poorly tested and it's up to the real professionals to sort through it. The last kind of person I want to work with is a genius. No thank you. Give me a professional.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LaTrompeta"]The way I see it, you might be a natural "musician" or a natural "performer," but there is no such thing as a natural "professional." That takes work. It's the same in every field.
[n/quote]

100% True.....

But let me add that being a pro incorporates a number of important abilities. I worked on my playing 8 hours a day (outside of classes and rehearsals) for my first few years in college. I had range, breath control, great sound and pretty good technique.

My best friend worked just the same, had about the same abilities in those areas. But watching his progress versus what I was doing convinced me that he had the stuff to be a pro. I lacked his focus and attention to detail in his playing. Try as hard as I could, I was too easily distracted. When he practiced, he corrected his mistakes and went on. I practiced those mistakes until I really had them committed. Shiny things still break my focus!

As the old cowboy saying goes:
"How you doing?"
"Better, since I gave up hope!"
Made finishing my college a lot easier, too!

Success in performance truly is all in the details in any area. Especially in music.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream on till you gonna believe it.
The pro musician is the qualified servant of art.
The genius is the creator of art.
Big C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional players all worked hard to get to where they are.

That said, if you take 100 random people who all want to be good players, have them study under the same good teacher and practice the same XX hours a week, you're going to get pretty much 100 different results. Some will be better overall. Each will have different strengths.

Nurture is important, but nature is a thing, too.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a course on personality right now, and I believe that personality traits play into everything we do in life. I think it may be harder for some people to succeed at a profession like music, not so much because of talent but instead, because of personality. People high in agreeableness are more likely to get "call backs" in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: