• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Refinished Bach Mt Vernon on eBay ... Would appreciate comme

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephensonclan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

New forum member. I am a former player with a way-good 14 year old being urged by current teacher to switch to a Bach Strad. Stuart currently plays a beautiful Olds Recording, but instructor does not like the sound (I do, BTW).

So, am starting to research market - was interested, frankly, in Stuart playing something a bit different than the others in his band (23 of 24 of the trumpet players in the two top bands in his extremely large high school plays a Strads ... Stuart is first chair second band (only Freshman) ... big school), but push may be from inside the band (director?) to have total consistency in instruments.

Can forum members offer opinions regarding refinished Bachs such as this one? I would prefer to work with a known shop, but am price concious, too ... I know this one will go for more ... but, it looks like 100% originals are more expensive than refinished ones ...

Other options that would net the same effect as the instructor is looking for?

Comments?

Thanks in advance ... this is a great forum (well, except when that one guy whacks out about his trumpets and starts telling everyone they are stupid ...)
da_roadrunner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... which refinished bach???
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think he skipped right over that one.

Is it a Bach that your teacher used to own? That one of your friends used to own? How old is it? Have you played it yet?
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stephensonclan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aacckk ... duh ... here is the URL!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2374353985&category=16214

I am sorry ...

Thanks, again.

George Stephenson
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty risky spending that much on a refurbished horn purchased on eBay. Could be a great horn, but you never know without playing it. Does the seller offer a trial? I'd sure insist on one as part of the deal.

As an alternative, you may want to take your son to visit any of the big sellers -- Dillon, Woodwind & Brasswind, or whatever else may be nearby -- and let him play a whole bunch of horns, including other brands such as Yamaha and Kanstul. As is repeated here on TH so often, every horn is different and you need to play a lot of them to find the one that's right for you.

If your search leads to a good used horn, you could still ship it to a restorer and have the valves redone, or whatever it may need, and probably save a lot of money.

One more thought on the horn in the eBay listing. The gold accents are a bit much, in my opinion, especially for a high school freshman who might be wiser (and happier) keeping a lower profile.

Regardless of your decision, welcome to TH! Your son is lucky to have a parent so interested in his playing!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a lot cheaper to get a new teacher than a new horn.
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could find the thread where this horn (or one almost exactly like it from the same seller) was discussed a couple months back. The general consensus, as I recall, was to stay away for that kind of money. It was pointed out that this combination of silver with gold trim is not original, and also that since the base horn is vintage, you don't know what "problems" may be hidden under the replating job. $3K can buy you new (or get you darned close) almost any of the superhorns out there (Wild Thing, Lawler, Chicago Brassworks, Eclipse, etc.).

-Dan

[ This Message was edited by: heavyharmonies on 2004-01-19 19:15 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: