• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blackburn Picc Pipe Q

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Blackburn Picc Pipe Q Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a Blackburn P4 pipe for Yamaha piccolos will fit multiple models? For example, a 9835 and a 6810 with the same pipe? I understand the length might be different... focusing on the "will it fit in the hole"...

Thanks,
sj
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Pickett)Blackburn’s website - https://www.pickettblackburn.com/leadpipes-piccolo-leadpipes-c-161_148_152/blackburn-leadpipe-p4-p-1081.html - does list a few different models in their drop-down menus, leading me to believe there are differences in length, OD, etc.
FWIW, I had an A pipe made for a DEG piccolo I owned years ago. When I contacted Pickett to order a pipe for that model, they had dimensions on file associated with their P4 (Yamaha) taper. As it turned out, the pipe wasn’t a perfect fit to the leadpipe housing of at least that particular horn, but I then sent them an original pipe along with the one they made for me, and they cut the OD to match and turned the project around relatively quickly.
You may notice the DEG mode is now listed in the drop-down alongside several different Yammies. The 9830 and 9835 are listed separately, however so are the 991+ model C piccs, while C isn’t an available key in the drop-down…so, as with so many things where careful attention is required, a quick call could get you the answer you want.

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, give them a call. I found Cliff Blackburn to be very helpful, and there was another fellow who was also an expert on trumpet stuff but I forgot his name. I have three aftermarket pipes for my Schilke P5-4 picc and they made a substantial difference in playability (for this once-a-year picc player) and especially intonation.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a Bb leadpipe for my Selmer picc made by MG Trumpets in Holland. Was much better in tune the my A leadpipe made by Blackburn.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
I once had a Bb leadpipe for my Selmer picc made by MG Trumpets in Holland. Was much better in tune the my A leadpipe made by Blackburn.
That's interesting. My very limited experience with two high horns is that a pic generally plays more in tune in one of the two possible keys (mine being better in A) and whoever makes the lead pipe for the 'worse' key is not going to overcome that inherent difference.
sjtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I did call a couple times but got voicemail.

In any case, I was able to try a P4 pipe from a 9830 and stuck it in my 6810. So, the answer is yes, it fits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: