• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Partials Bending

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffardo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Partials Bending Reply with quote

Return player hear rebuilding embouchure.

When I lip slur to e on fourth space on a Bb trumpet, it bends into place instead of slotting. I am using as relaxed embouchure as I can see and not clamping down.

I am using a new Yamaha YTT 4335GII and a 1 1/4 C equivalent mocha but it happens on a Yamaha 11b4 as well. I am not one to blame equipment, especially given my history of range issues, but this is a weird one for me. Basically, notes start bending, instead of slotting, into place.

Any ideas what’s going on?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say " bending instead of slotting" do you mean playing, for example, a fourth-space E and instead of bending down and back up, it snaps into the C below it?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Partials Bending Reply with quote

Hello all,
When working on lip slurs, there needs to be a quicker movement of aperture/lips and tongue. 4th space E tends to be flat anyway, so if you have tentative movement, you will have a tentative slot...and it will be flatter than normal.
You could try using an alternative fingering at first. 3rd valve or 1-2 from open C. Once you get the feel of the slot to the right intonation you want, go back to using open. I would be using a tuner at most times. I have been successful on my C trumpet, 4th partial work with this concept. I still need to use 1-2 every now and then, for certain passages. That is just the nature of the beast.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Partials Bending Reply with quote

cliffardo wrote:
Return player hear rebuilding embouchure.

When I lip slur to e on fourth space on a Bb trumpet, it bends into place instead of slotting. I am using as relaxed embouchure as I can see and not clamping down. ...

-----------------------------
The 'relaxed as I can' might be too relaxed, I strive for 'relaxed AND effective' - as habit and skill improve, more relaxed might become possible.

I view each note as having its own 'feel' and 'pronunciation' - learning them is the trick.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be many things or most likely a combination including improper delivery of the air. Find a teacher.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a video for best possible help. Lots can get lost in translation.
cliffardo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
When you say " bending instead of slotting" do you mean playing, for example, a fourth-space E and instead of bending down and back up, it snaps into the C below it?

Almost like I hit an e-flat and then up to E, like lipping it up. Is it an instrument problem?
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Not likely a horn problem.
Read Biily B's answer. You are cutting off the air flow and ending way under the pitch.
You've got to hear the E and move the air accordingly.

R. Tomasek
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic problem and a basic question says to get a teacher like Billy B said.

“History of range issues” & “rebuilding embouchure”

Probably not too smart to go it alone desiring an online remedy.

Cheap yes however
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above posters (in general). But I thought it worth taking a stab at a mechanical solution.

It sounds like the OP is describing a smear. The note doesn't slot when slurring upward. Rather, it "smears" into place. It occurs more frequently above the staff, but it can happen anywhere.

Many times the issue is tongue position. Here is a simple approach to resolving it. First, tongue the upward interval. If that works well, then slur the interval. Go back and forth. Pay close attention to the position of the tongue. Get the slur position more in line with the tonguing position.

This generally improves the slot, regardless of register.

Jeff
Erik.Hasselquist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree!
cliffardo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject: Thanks for replies! Reply with quote

I have looked in the mirror after studying some embouchure technique from Stevens-Costello and learning how the trumpet actually works. I was jamming the mouthpiece into my face and not letting the air do the work and not having a proper setup. Definitely not the horn!
cliffardo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more update:

The distance between my lower and upper teeth was like an inch apart, which is definitely far fromfrom a relaxed starting point (or the 1/4" Stevens-Costello recommends). I was otherwise using my lips as prescribed, but my lips were so stretched out I don't think I was gonna get anywhere.

Of course it's gonna take time to unlearn the huge gap I've been using (and wonder why my university teacher didn't point it out before they said I should play euphonium, which amounted to a kind of musical death sentence, as far as I am concerned), but now the issue I was having isn't an issue anymore!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: