• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton ST-100L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinBorecky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Holton ST-100L Reply with quote

Hey all. I was wondering the value on a Holton ST-100L. Emphasis on the “L”. This is what Stahl has played on for years. As in his personal model. Not what Holton sold to the masses…only a few exist.

Anybody have any ideas?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Stahl is an inspiration and a role model in many ways. He is the embodiment of a solid reliable professional. His personal standards, his achievements, his influence on others all comprise a remarkable legacy for one of the more modern generation. (yes I know, its weird to talk of legacy when someone is still out there, but I challenge anyone to argue that Mr. Stahl has not built a remarkable one)

That being said, the ST-100 is not a particularly sought-after instrument. A personal version, instead of being more so is arguably less so because of a lack of any substantive influence on other horns. Playing on this will not make you sound like him. There is a chance it will make you sound worse. What works for one person, no matter how skilled they may be, might be the opposite for another.

I think my standing as a Holton collector is pretty well known, and I have to admit that I would not go over $500 for such an instrument (out the door). I would say $400-600 is the likely range.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Holton ST-100L Reply with quote

JustinBorecky wrote:
Hey all. I was wondering the value on a Holton ST-100L. Emphasis on the “L”. This is what Stahl has played on for years. As in his personal model. Not what Holton sold to the masses…only a few exist.

Anybody have any ideas?

What does L stand for, large bore ?
JustinBorecky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the Brisbois bell on it. Only a few were made this way.

Now here’s the fun part. The lead pipe isn’t stamped with the L, yet the model number matches with the ticket stating it’s an L.[/img]
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that your EBay listing is up and I can see the horn in detail, I am wondering if it is as low-volume as you indicated (which if it is more common, would raise my valuation - though not near yours which is clearly based on being his personal horn, not the playing characteristics). I pulled out my 1973 ST-100 (marked apparently by hand on the receiver in this case), and confirmed that in every other detail that you list (medallion, throw ring mount, waterkeys, etc.) it matches. (see image below)

You may want to tweak your listing for some typos, and also to mention that the included cornet is a 1946/7 Olds Super - despite the minor red rot, a very desirable example otherwise.

Your listing is clearly selling the personal tie to a widely respected artist. I hope it succeeds, as it would be fitting. However, to a collector of personal memorabilia, provenance is everything. The photos are a start, but the ultimate would of course be a list of models and serial numbers with a handwritten "these are my horns" signed by Dave. Another option would be an annual insurance renewal listing the serial numbers in the rider details. Documentation of authenticity is what someone would be buying in your sales model, so I would advise adding something of that nature to the "lot" you are selling - it sounds like you have the access necessary.

My 1973 ST-100:

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JustinBorecky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could. I asked and Dave being the person he is, as many musicians out there can attest to what I mean, absolutely refused.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinBorecky wrote:
Wish I could. I asked and Dave being the person he is, as many musicians out there can attest to what I mean, absolutely refused.

I do have some past experience with such refusals in similar instances, so I get it.

What I have realized with the benefit of years, that might have swayed things in those past instances, is that the provenance does not just make a dramatic difference in potential market price (My example is in top-dollar condition as you can see, and cost $676), but determines if these will be treated as just another horn, or preserved and protected long into the future.

A middle-of-the-road option would be for you to draft a letter detailing how you came to own these, attesting to your opportunity to verify their past use, etc.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: