• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bogus alerts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Bogus alerts Reply with quote

What is with this site?

I just had an alert check me in, opened the email and clicked the link in maybe all of ten seconds - the thread cannot be found (Thread: Osmun Music lost my trumpet)

It's bad enough that the site can't find a thread if it was just updated and sits at the top of the stack (happens ever couple of weeks), but to send an alert when the thread hasn't been updated recently enough to even show on the home or first forum list pages? What is wrong with this software?

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is generally a lag in the email notifications announcing new posts, but in this case I believe the notification was issued because the thread was actually deleted (I got the same notification).

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the "Osmun Lost My Trumpet" thread got deleted. The existence of a thread with that title is damaging to Osmun's reputation, especially since Osmun did not lose the instrument, and most of the comments were taking the original poster's claims at face value, when the truth was far from that.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
I'm pretty sure the "Osmun Lost My Trumpet" thread got deleted. The existence of a thread with that title is damaging to Osmun's reputation, especially since Osmun did not lose the instrument, and most of the comments were taking the original poster's claims at face value, when the truth was far from that.

Well, I must have missed the end of that.

What else came out?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP of the thread first sent his horn to Osmun in 2014 for a valve alignment. When the horn arrived, they discovered that the pistons had been polished, and therefore were incredibly leaky, and Osmun would not work on the horn (which is understandable given that every horn “blueprinted” in their shop comes with a guarantee of precise tolerances). They recommended that the owner get a valve rebuild. The customer refused any work, and Osmun last heard from the owner of the instrument in September 2015. In June of 2018, the customer again refused to have any work done on their horn, citing illness or another personal reason. Osmun declared it as abandoned at their shop in 2020 (after two years of no communication), and I believe they donated it to a charity some time in 2022 after reaching out to the owner one final time and being met with resistance. The original telling of the story was wildly different, alleging that Osmun lost a horn that had just been sent in for repair work, and that they ought to be liable for replacing that instrument, when in reality, it sat for nearly a decade in their shop before it was finally written off.

I hope that the other readers who did not have a chance to see Bob Osmun’s side of the story will see this thread and realize that Osmun acted with tremendous integrity, attending to this horn for 8 years after it was dropped off at their shop. A reputation like Osmun’s is the result of years of honest work, and it’s a shame to see so many people assume the worst without all of the facts present.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: False Alert Reply with quote

Thanks a million for setting us straight and getting the whole story out! You've performed a most valuable service to Osmun and the whole community.

Steve
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Osmun was the one to set the record straight, not me. I think it was the right call to delete that post, but I'm concerned that not enough people saw the full story prior to the thread getting deleted.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notified Osmun of the thread and they responded here immediately.
I feel suckered and don't appreciate it one bit.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

+1

I noticed that, while the thread has been deleted, the OP remains an active TH member. Perhaps the Moderators should demand that the OP post an apology or face permanent expulsion.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

+1

I noticed that, while the thread has been deleted, the OP remains an active TH member. Perhaps the Moderators should demand that the OP post an apology or face permanent expulsion.

I feel suckered too. It never occurred to me that nearly a decade had passed since it all began.

I hope my contributions during the discussion didn’t harm Osmun too much as I fell for the OP’s side.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I hope my contributions during the discussion didn’t harm Osmun too much as I fell for the OP’s side.

I don't think anyone who responded to that thread need feel too guilty about their responses given how grotesquely the initial post distorted and concealed the facts. I think Osmun Music was thoroughly vindicated once Mr. Osmun gave his account of the situation.

tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, note to self:

Don't believe what you hear until checking as much as you can.
Or, put more eloquently:

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
Don't believe what you hear until checking as much as you can. Or, put more eloquently:

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

An excellent point. In the future when a member (especially a first-time poster!) wanders onto the Forum and publishes accusations of misconduct against a well-established provider of goods or services, a best practice might be to immediately inform said provider and give them an opportunity to respond.

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

I don't think anyone who responded to that thread need feel too guilty about their responses given how grotesquely the initial post distorted and concealed the facts. I think Osmun Music was thoroughly vindicated once Mr. Osmun gave his account of the situation.

I prefaced my comments with "assuming G***** is telling it like it is" which clearly he wasn't. I'm glad kehaulani took the initiative to contact Osmun.

Has the originator of that thread been booted from TH?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Has the originator of that thread been booted from TH?

See my second post on this thread. I used the PM function to search for him, and his userid can still be found.

OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to nit-pick, but do you suppose there is any way we could do something to eliminate alerts for non-existent threads? If it's being deleted, sending out an alert to click here to see an error seems unnecessary at best.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Not to nit-pick, but do you suppose there is any way we could do something to eliminate alerts for non-existent threads? If it's being deleted, sending out an alert to click here to see an error seems unnecessary at best.

A PM to trumpetherald would be the way to find out.

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

I never get any alerts on non-existent threads. But then I don’t turn on alerts on any threads.

I personally don’t think an alert or two after the mods clean up a thread by deleting it is a big issue. But then perhaps I am missing some pertinent details (again).
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
Bob Osmun was the one to set the record straight, not me. I think it was the right call to delete that post, but I'm concerned that not enough people saw the full story prior to the thread getting deleted.

Thank you.

I certainly did not see the full story prior to deletion. Thank you.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda makes me want to buy something from them just for good karma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: