• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Upper lip swelling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Upper lip swelling Reply with quote

I’m not sure this is the right forum for this post but here goes.I enjoy playing high trumpets, piccolo and Eb. I have a good working range up to G above high C on the pic. What I’ve found is that it takes several minutes of playing before I can reliably play the notes above high C. In this extended warm up period I find that the center of my upper lip swells a bit and it seems this is necessary for me to play high. I don’t use a lot of mouthpiece pressure and the small amount of swelling doesn’t seem be causing any problems. Is this normal?
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , as you warm-up it increases blood flow to your embouchure causing a slight amount of swelling. I'm sure you will get plenty of different advice from people who will tell you how to play high, loud ,tongued ,slurred etc. Get a teacher. Unfortunately too many people can't do what they tell you to do.
There are people on line who have the answers to every question, yet not only can they not do what they telling you, they have never been able to do it.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably just that some swelling is needed to allow / help you position your lips in the appropriate configuration for those notes.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that my upper register above D over high C is more accessible if I stretch my upper lip down slightly. I think this positions my aperture just below my top teeth. Without doing this, my top teeth, which are a little long, seem to block the necessary air flow. These are all assumptions I’m making. Whatever it is, it seems to work reliably for me.

Perhaps when your lip swells a bit it becomes slightly distended and naturally positions your aperture in the optimal position relative to your teeth?

Are you happy with your sound, endurance, and control playing as you do? If so, doesn’t seem like anything to worry about.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread on TPIN about 20 years ago started by a pro in Houston (can't remember his name but his nickname was Tiger) who talked about "bubble" players who can't get a decent sound until their upper lip starts to swell in the center. He changed his way of playing to not be dependent on the "bubble" and even wrote a book about it, but the details escape me. Anyone who knows more, please chime in.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie 'Tiger" Lewis. A good player and great human being.

Rwwilson - for more information (maybe too much) read this thread:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161473&highlight=swelling

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: