• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Slotting E above High C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtr1023

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Slotting E above High C Reply with quote

Hey there!

I'm working on my high range above high C and am noticing that I can't seem to slot E above high C very well. Oddly, I can slot notes up to A above high C, but the lower E won't slot nicely with any fingerings. If I approach the E from above it works perfectly fine, but if I try to do a scale it requires a ton of effort to slot the note and I usually end up overshooting and then coming back down to the correct pitch.

What can I work on to fix the issue?

Thanks!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Slotting E Reply with quote

Hello,
Welcome to the TH. Check the mp gap to the venturi. You can use a toothpick as a guage. Gently mark your mp with a pencil and compare the two. If the distance is 1/4 inch or more, the gap is too big and that E won't slot like the others. If there is no gap, put a piece of paper around the mp to give you some gap, and the E should slot. If the gap is about 1/8 inch, something else is in play.
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the issue recurrent on every horn and mouthpiece?

Thread killer.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice a soft lip slur up and down high C D E and play all of the notes open. That helps me. (do re mi re do re mi re... etc).
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem in high school. Eb and F was fine, but I had a hard time with E. Unfortunately, I don’t have any advice but I watched a masterclass by Wayne Bergerone where he discusses trumpet players having this issue.

https://youtu.be/f-Q2CkBkTts
E_Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I practice a soft lip slur up and down high C D E and play all of the notes open. That helps me. (do re mi re do re mi re... etc).

What he said

I need to do this with my high C more. Hard for me to slot comfortably. I start on G, then Bb, then C, and back down, slurring with decent speed. Makes the C feel like it's closer to the Bb

UMI Silver Flair | Fullerton Olds Studio
King Legend 2070
1921 Conn 80A
Trumpeter, Pianist, Drummer
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a high note is squirrelly like that one thing to check is the tube leading from the tuning slide to the third valve casing. If there is gunk in that tube, especially near where it enters the third valve casing, it can cause the exact issue you've described.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: