• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

As an amateur, I decided not practice above E, F above staff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: As an amateur, I decided not practice above E, F above staff Reply with quote

I'm an amateur, not so young and on heart meds. I play in 2 community bands. I practice about an hour on days w/o rehearsals.
My high range practice has been "(not so) long tones Ascending" from Peter Bond's "The singing trumpet" (pg. 83). I find it to be excellent for this purpose. It also has plenty of rest periods.
One could take it all the way up to triple C.
Today when I started playing from it above F over the staff and higher, I felt pressure in my chest, a bit more than I was comfortable with and also felt a bit dizzy.

A sudden thought hit me.
Maybe I should be careful and for health reasons shouldn't push the limit, that is I should keep it no higher than E, F above staff.
I once needed to play up to Eb at the band (on Quincy Jones "Soul Bossa Nova") but nowadays I would never need to play this high.

I think that for amateurs, certainly those who have had heart issues (and those who had a stroke or are prone to strokes), limiting high range is wise. Definitely when you don't need it in your actual repertoire.
Anyway, this is what I'll do from now on.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.

Last edited by Sustained note on Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am struggling with endurance at this point in my "comeback". Here lately I have started really focusing on NOT going to my range limit, and it seems my range limit is gradually, ever so slowly improving.
I do lots of Clarks 1 & 2. On 1 I run through all of them, then redo some of them up one octave (only the ones I can comfortably "play" without excessive strain or mpc pressure). Also started doing a lot of the exercises in "Embouchure Builder" by Lowell Little and some of the first exercises in David Hickman's "15 Advanced Embouchure Studies". On a good day, after doing all that, I occasionally do some "Balanced Embouchure" by Jeff Smiley.

I anticipate someone will chime in with some "wisdom" like use it or lose it, but I would rather have it without undue mpc pressure so am taking it easy and it seems to be improving.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Normal Range Reply with quote

Somewhat in line with the post of Sustained note and ldwoods, Eddie Lewis spells out a “range” strategy in, “One Range,” —
https://tigermusicstore.com/product/one-range-trumpet-range-pdf-ebook/

The book is all text (no exercises) detailing a what-to-practice/when-to-practice regimen (basically using the music that you’re already practicing). There are no high notes or low notes, just the notes within your normal range, but, with a clear understanding of the concepts and fairly strict adherence to the practice schedule, your normal range will naturally expand over time.

Highly recommended for anyone in it for the long haul who is also a devoted practicer.

—Denny
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Denny, thanks for the Tiger tip. Just purchased and tucked it into my forScore.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Bachatit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

My first thought would not necessarily be to avoid notes above the staff but, rather, to ask myself why such limited effort is causing chest pain. Is this a question for your physician? Best, V
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already you need to consult with your doctor. I wouldn't play another note until you do.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Denny, thanks for the Tiger tip. Just purchased and tucked it into my forScore.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Range Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
Somewhat in line with the post of Sustained note and ldwoods, Eddie Lewis spells out a “range” strategy in, “One Range,” —
https://tigermusicstore.com/product/one-range-trumpet-range-pdf-ebook/

The book is all text (no exercises) detailing a what-to-practice/when-to-practice regimen (basically using the music that you’re already practicing). There are no high notes or low notes, just the notes within your normal range, but, with a clear understanding of the concepts and fairly strict adherence to the practice schedule, your normal range will naturally expand over time.

Highly recommended for anyone in it for the long haul who is also a devoted practicer.

—Denny

Thanks Denny. I have also used one of his books that have some exercises and find them helpful also. I stopped doing them just a few days ago so I could focus on the books I most recently acquired, the Lowell Little and David Hickman books. I think the Eddie Lewis book I use is something about a pyramid and it also explains concepts and strategies to intelligently plan one's practice.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
to the OP: you are not alone!
I was operated on April 19 for an inguinal hernia obviously due to trumpet playing (too high and too loud!) because there no other reason (except age!).
So exactly like the OP I decided that at 76, given the experience, I just need to keep a good, clear and musical range up to high E/F. Far enough.
I leave the rest to young people!
So I will change my way of practicing. And yes the books of Mr Bond and Mr Lewis, that I already own, seem appropriate to me.
Regards.
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
Hello,
to the OP: you are not alone!

Hi Voltrane, thank you very much for your comment.
Happy practicing and playing.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: