• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Schools in the Southeast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Schools in the Southeast Reply with quote

Hey y’all. I’m a rising junior, and it’s getting time to start looking at colleges… I want to major in music performance, mostly leaning on the classical side. I’ve been trying hard to find colleges in the southeast, really in and around Georgia. Any advice on what schools are currently great for trumpet players?
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn’t Phil Smith still at UGA?? If you have the talent, he sure has the experience to impart.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
Isn’t Phil Smith still at UGA?? If you have the talent, he sure has the experience to impart.

+1

Also check out Kennesaw State. I think Mike Tiscione of Atlanta Symphony teaches there. Also Doug Lindsey is there and great I hear.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Jensen just accepted a position at Columbus State University for next year. Fantastic player, trumpet teacher, and person. Get a lesson with him once he gets settled over there!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:

Do undergrads have access to Phil or do they study with a grad student?

FWIW, if you want to get away from home, check out the University of Alabama (my alma mater). There's a lot of good stuff happening in that studio.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
ProAm wrote:

Do undergrads have access to Phil or do they study with a grad student?

FWIW, if you want to get away from home, check out the University of Alabama (my alma mater). There's a lot of good stuff happening in that studio.

Yes, some undergrads do study directly with Phil - and if they don’t, they probably take lessons from the other full time professor there, Brandon Craswell, and would probably see Phil in studio classes and the Brass Rep class he teaches there.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Southern Mississippi.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Schools in the Southeast Reply with quote

OtherJMitch wrote:
Hey y’all. I’m a rising junior, and it’s getting time to start looking at colleges… I want to major in music performance, mostly leaning on the classical side. I’ve been trying hard to find colleges in the southeast, really in and around Georgia. Any advice on what schools are currently great for trumpet players?

What is your goal with this degree?
Michael Arndt

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would be happy to talk to you at Middle Tennessee. It might not be the first place people think of, but we have a killer program and graduates doing big things. Our location next to Nashville makes for a lot of opportunities to listen and play. We have some very unique opportunities for undergrads. We also have a trumpet player as the director of Jazz Studies, Jamey Simmons. And I do my best not to screw anyone up too much. Best wishes in your search for the right fit.
mtsubrass.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word about Nashville. It calls up images of The Grand Ole Opry and Country music in general. Don't be deceived.

I was on Nashville Now and listened to other groups which, while in C&W, played very well. But here's the thing. During a break in the show, some of the musicians were jamming and it was Jazz. And they smoked. I later met other Nashville musicians who played in the Country scene but who were very good Jazz players.

This doesn't address the legit scene but for those considering Jazz and Commercial music, Nashville should definitely not be ignored.

An aside, unless you're independently wealthy, consider the opportunities for scholarships and other sources financial assistance and that some schools are not as expensive to begin with. When I attended UNT, out-of-state tuition was the same as in-state tuition at the Univ. of Hawai`i (where I transferred from).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of fine schools. All that have been mentioned are really good.
I attended a clinic done by Doug Lindsey at Kenesaw State and he is excellent.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard Doug Linsey is moving to University of Oklahoma and Mike Tisicione bio on ASO's site says he is an adjunct at Kennesaw.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Schools in the Southeast Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
OtherJMitch wrote:

And how are you going to pay for it? What is your budget?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
HD8353

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished that whole process you're just now starting on, and decided on going to East Carolina University starting this fall. The trumpet professor is Gabriel DiMartino and he's an amazing classical player and teacher. I highly recommend looking him up or emailing him if you're interested. It might be a little too far, but it's worth reaching out.
Forte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Schools in the Southeast Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Billy B wrote:
OtherJMitch wrote:

Hi Richard,

Curious how you funded your euphonium purchase. Do you have a mortgage or do you rent? What is your credit card debt balance? Have you had a recent credit score? Married/Single?

Thanks
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of that post but, generally, financing an education these days has a myriad of options and such advice may be helpful for a prospective student.

Sometime when we're young and inexperienced, there may be factors we are not aware of and it can be helpful for those "who have gone before" to share their experience.

If the OP doesn't need any help or advice along those lines, no harm done.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that ambitious high schoolers too often prioritize getting into the "best" (as in, most highly regarded) school above all else, which can often be a recipe for heartache when all is said and done. A couple of considerations - many schools with big name teachers don't actually give those studio spots to undergrads, in which case the value of the big name teacher to any given undergrad may be meaningfully reduced.

Also, the best choice of school really depends on what the student needs to reach their potential. In my experience, many star players that everyone knows and want to emulate were already basically stars when they reached college, and are best at teaching other people who already have things figured out to an uncommonly high degree, but aren't necessarily as adept at helping people who need help figuring some aspects of their playing out. Similarly, there are a meaningful number of teachers who aren't necessarily household names, but have real skill at making sure all their students leave their degrees with rock solid fundamentals. Honestly, I think most people would be much better served by finding one of the second category of teachers, rather than the first, but unfortunately, this is the kind of lesson people tend to learn the hard way.

Finally, probably well over 95% of music grads struggle to make enough money in their field simply to survive in the first 3-5 years after graduating, to say nothing of paying back sizeable student loans. Even many of the very best, from the very best schools are frequently pushed out of this profession simply because they can't make enough money to survive and to pay their loans back playing their instruments. Taking on significant debt to fund a music degree is a very high risk proposition. The best school might be the one that offers you a big enough scholarship that you're not drowning in debt at the end.

Bottom line - some serious soul searching about what you really need, what you've got going for you, and what you want to get out of school are all critically important to coming out of this experience happy with your choices.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true to an extent but I don't think it should be a distraction or exaggerated. I've always followed the adage, "Do what you love and the money will follow". I've changed musical directions like a chameleon but I've kept it all within the music profession, full time for a lifetime. Go for it,

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Schools in the Southeast Reply with quote

Forte wrote:
Richard III wrote:
Billy B wrote:
OtherJMitch wrote:

Hi Richard,

Curious how you funded your euphonium purchase. Do you have a mortgage or do you rent? What is your credit card debt balance? Have you had a recent credit score? Married/Single?

Thanks

I love these discussions.

When deciding on what to purchase or where to attend college, it is useful to weed out options that are too expensive. Either tuition and fees are too much, or the cost of living in that area is too much. How much is too much? You have to decide if borrowing makes sense.

My opinion is that borrowing rarely makes sense unless the future job is so lucrative that paying off that debt is possible. For most careers, borrowing is creating an onerous life with no end in site.

So knowing what one's budget is is very useful. Of course if the parents are rich and you can afford anywhere to go to college, well then all of them are on the table.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that when I was in high school, I envisioned a romantic life playing jazz in smokey little clubs all my life. Well, reality hit me in college when I realized that was a lousy way to make a living. Then I thought maybe I should be teaching. Well, those jobs were going away. So also a bad choice. Time to get real and following my passion is simply not workable. Time to prepare for a real job with a future. Plus I just wasn't a good enough player to make it in the business. I saw much better players also failing.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: