• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stability When Playing Lead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtr1023

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Stability When Playing Lead Reply with quote

Hey there!

I am experimenting with high-range stuff and notice that the louder I play the more squirrely the notes become. They want to crack up to the next highest pitch most commonly.

What could remedy this? Would soft practice help eliminate this in any way?

Thanks!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stability When Playing Lead Reply with quote

gtr1023 wrote:
Hey there!

I am experimenting with high-range stuff and notice that the louder I play the more squirrely the notes become. They want to crack up to the next highest pitch most commonly.

What could remedy this? Would soft practice help eliminate this in any way?

Thanks!

What would be the most likely path to remedying it is practice. How high are you talking about?

Playing any given note becomes different as you go through the continuum of dynamics - playing a note loudly has different requirements than playing the same note softly. The higher you go the closer the partials ergo it gets harder and harder to be accurate. So you've got layers of issues to be dealt with.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a result of overblowing or overcompensating with the facial muscles, or both. Best advice I can give is to get with a good private teacher, especially one with good command of the upper register to get some guidance on this.

Best of luck!
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan's advice is the most sure way to address any trumpet playing issues so +1 to finding someone to study with.

I will add that the one thing that helped my lead playing more than anything else was practicing soft long tones and articulation exercises in the upper register. The soft dynamics helped build a strong small aperture, steady breath control, and helped train me not to use too much pressure. Once those notes are established at soft dynamics, I slowly increase dynamics to build from there. Based on what you said in your post, you may just need more time working in the upper register at a soft volume before bringing the dynamics up.

Allen Vizzutti has some great concepts he wrote about in his book "High Notes" and the exercises in there were helpful material to work on soft upper register playing. Charlie Parker also has some great videos on whisper tone playing on YouTube that are worth checking out. This video from DHCZach also illustrates the soft playing concept well: https://youtu.be/C6K9RZyO6gc

YMMV though so Matthew's advice is still the best out there.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the louder I play the more squirrely the notes become.

Your post is titled "Stability When Playing Lead," so I'll address your concern in that context. Are you overblowing? You probably don't need to play lead as loudly as you think you need to, particularly in the upper register. Try backing off and see what happens.

Second, the partials of the harmonic series sit closer and closer together as you ascend into the upper register. This makes it easy to overshoot. Try working on flexibility studies to help you get a feel for those partials and "locking in" the right ones. Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities is a good place to start.

Third, loud (and soft) playing with good control can be quite taxing. Work on that as part of your practice routine. Caruso's Soft-Loud-Soft and Loud-Soft-Loud exercises from Musical Calisthenics for Brass can help you get a feel for that.

Finally, work with a good teacher if you can. That's the surest way to address issues like this and generally build up your skills.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: