• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet analysis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strobe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Trumpet analysis? Reply with quote

Where could I get a skilled evaluation/consultation/recommendations on bore size, mouthpiece type, gap etc? or some resources so I can learn more and systematically try different options. Is there a book that explains this in detail?
Background: I'm in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I have played since 4th grade am in my 50's and started playing regularly again about 9 years ago (Jazz, concert, rock). Play a Bach Strad for concert bands with minimal issues (But don't like it as much for Jazz), and a Martin Committee(M bore) for Jazz w/Purviance 4*2 mp(relatively shallow cup). Love the Martin and have played it for a few years but it feels as if there is more resistance than I would like so I might benefit from some changes.(especially in the upper register). Played an OLDS SR for some lead and mid/upper register with a 4*K4 this week(narrow but slightly deeper cup) and it seemed to work better but I like the Martin MUCH better for solos. Long post but would appreciate any input or direction. Thanks.
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no universal rule around trumpet specs that will let you instantly know if a trumpet will work for you or not. The most complex element of a trumpet is the bell taper, which cannot easily be compared the way bore sizes can. Within the world of Bach trumpets, the standard venturi is .345", the standard gap is .125", and the bore size of almost every Bach Bb trumpet is .459". It can help to know the venturi and gap of different Bach trumpets to make assumptions about how they play (smaller gap = looser slotting, larger venturi = more free-blowing), but comparisons across brands are complicated by the differences in bell flares, leadpipe tapers, weight, bracing, etc.

Since you said you like your Bach Strad for concert ensembles, it sounds like you're looking for something that will work for lead and big band playing. I would recommend a lightweight trumpet, like a lightweight Bach, Benge, King 1055T Silver Flair, Conn 60B, or Conn 36B.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ What he said, and to add to this, the care in assembly can be just as important as the specs. That's why there are periods of time even with the ubiquitous Bach Stradivarius where some just aren't put together well, and you had to play a bunch to find a good one.

This seems to be less of an issue these day - better manufacturing techniques have led to greater consistency between trumpets of the same model.

You also can't necessarily depend on specs for how something plays because sometimes something that works well on paper doesn't necessarily work in practice.

The example of this I have is back when I was playing a Schilke 14A4 as my mouthpiece for the wedding dance band, which was the primary playing I was doing at the time. My thought was that if I had Schilke custom make me a mouthpiece using the 14 diameter and #4 rim, but go with a deeper cup - essentially a 14C4 - it would make a good legit mouthpiece counterpart to the 14A4.

Sounds great on paper right? It didn't work like I'd hoped, and it was yet one more failed attempt on the mouthpiece safari.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since you said you like your Bach Strad for concert ensembles, it sounds like you're looking for something that will work for lead and big band playing. I would recommend a lightweight trumpet, like a lightweight Bach, Benge, King 1055T Silver Flair, Conn 60B, or Conn 36B.

Interesting discussion. I play in a big band using a Conn 22B with a Curry 7M. At the end of a gig I am quite happy. That is due to the band loading songs at the end that let the trumpets really push. That setup works for that.

But, the band also loads the first set with more delicate playing and exposed solos. The same setup does not blend well with a Bach 37 and 72 which the other players use. What to do. What to do.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too many factors and variables not the least of which is how well-functioning your chops are. If you're struggling against your own chops dysfunctionality it doesn't matter what you're playing on.

Two solid players for whom things are working well might have different impressions of the same equipment. Some of the differences in perception might be psychosomatic.

The mouthpiece can make a night/day difference.

You'll have to do what everyone else does - start with something you feel is okay, try different things, if you find a combination you're convinced is better go with it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: