• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cinco de Mahler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Cinco de Mahler Reply with quote

Cinco de Mahler (given today's date...)

Last night we got a belated Christmas present from our daughter. Tickets to hear Mahler Symphony No. 5 by the Atlanta Symphony, Donald Runnicles conducting. So we drove the 3 hours and went to the concert.

Given the prominent role of the trumpet in this symphony, and given that I am a CD-aholic, it's no surprise that I have over 50 CDs of this symphony, but this was the FIRST time I had an opportunity to hear it live, and as might be expected it was a great evening.

On Wednesday there was a disturbance in Atlanta that caused a lockdown causing the symphony to lose a last rehearsal. They made the decision to consider this concert an "open rehearsal" where they would play the entire piece, then possibly go back to "fix" things, if needed. I suspect this was influenced by the first piece, 3 Excerpts from Berg's Wozzeck, sung by Irene Roberts (as Marie). It was my understanding that they'd had no rehearsal with the singer due to the cancelled rehearsal. Nevertheless, it was a fine performance, done in it's entirety followed by the "open rehearsal" where they did go back and touch on a few things.

Then Mahler..... First, Michael Tiscione (acting principal trumpet) did an outstanding job throughout the symphony as did Susan Welty on horn. His trumpet just had a huge great sound that sat on top of the orchestra when required. The dynamics of the orchestra, in a very good hall, were also exceptional. From soft playing to louder than I expected!

And as I expected it was much better hearing it live than on a CD or DVD regardless how good the playback system is.
savannasanders

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, what an amazing experience! hearing Mahler's Symphony No. 5 live is incomparable to any recording... . the dynamics and nuances in a great hall truly bring out the essence of the music. despite the challenges, the Atlanta symphony delivered a remarkable performance. live performances have an energy and connection that recordings can't replicate. By the way, if you have some additional questions about microbiology process while playing music check it out https://myhomeworkdone.com/microbiology.html.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: