• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions pls: Martin Comm vs King Super 20 vs Olds Recording

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the meantime I learned that there is a King Super 20 trumpet
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
And in the meantime I learned that there is a King Super 20 trumpet

Yes, and great players, too. Mine's only the S1(.448 bore)Model 1047. They make a S2(.458 bore) model 1048 and a “Dual Bore” .458-.468 model 1049 and a “Dual Bore” .458-.468 Silversonic with a sterling silver leadpipe & bell, model 1049S.
I've seen many call the it a "poor man's Committee" but I've never played an actual committee, so IDK

I've got my sights on the DB Silversonic as my next acquisition

https://trumpet-history.com/Early%20King%20Models.pdf page 50-51
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attitude is that the whole "vs" thing is silly. It makes for purely subjective analysis, but it all comes down to personal preference.

For example - I have owned several fine automobiles: Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW. A few of them being "flashy" ... "eye-candy" ... very quick / fast. I prefer to drive a Lexus.

I own / have owned all the horns the OP has proffered in his hypothetical "face-off".
They are all fine horns. No question.
I prefer to play an 80+ year old French Besson, with leaky-valves, misc / sundry patches, very little original lacquer, various dents, scratches.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
My attitude is that the whole "vs" thing is silly. It makes for purely subjective analysis, but it all comes down to personal preference.

For example - I have owned several fine automobiles: Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW. A few of them being "flashy" ... "eye-candy" ... very quick / fast. I prefer to drive a Lexus.

I own / have owned all the horns the OP has proffered in his hypothetical "face-off".
They are all fine horns. No question.
I prefer to play an 80+ year old French Besson, with leaky-valves, misc / sundry patches, very little original lacquer, various dents, scratches.

I understand what you're saying. Even with my newer, technically better acquisitions, I think my favorite to play so far is my 1927 King Liberty, i also like my 1932 York 40, and the 1932 Buescher Aristocrat that's kinda banged up, it's one of the ones I'm going to fix first and it only cost me $50
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
chiefgearhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100%. I’m not saying the OP is this guy, but I have a friend who collected guitars. He had dozens of them. He literally could not play a lick.

As I near my 6th decade on this planet I’ve come to appreciate the fact that owning fewer “things” is not only more rewarding, it’s better for the planet as well as my bank account. So my goal has been to spend my money and time only on considered and “curated” items. Be it motorcycles, cars, shoes, watches, or trumpets, for me, less is more. I also feel much better knowing that someone else is enjoying and playing the original owner Olds Recording that I recently sold. Between my Committee and the Bach 37, and the Benge, and my Solo Max, the Olds just sat in silence. A closet full of horns that never get played is a sad thing in my view.

At the risk of sounding a hypocrite, I have quite a lot of horns in my .sig. The Conn is simply too dear to me to ever sell…it was literally my first horn, given to me at age 7, and it’s precious to me. The bugle is just a totem, the Blessing is in very poor condition and thus an object d’art, and the Courtois is merely in a holding pattern. It belonged to a dear departed friend and I intend to have it restored and donated to a local school in his name.

Richard III wrote:
Same question I have for all collectors is, do you realize that there might be people out there looking for what you just bought? And they actually want that horn to play it. If your intent is to play them all, then no problem. My beef is with the people who collect them to just have them.

-tj
18 Adams F2
In the closet
82 L.A. Benge MLP
71 Bach 37 Stradivarius
69 Courtois flugelhorn
1949 Blessing Artist
84 DEG Dynasty 2v G Bugle
74 Conn Director
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s always a way to rationalize conspicuous consumption.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefgearhead wrote:
Agree 100%. I’m not saying the OP is this guy, but I have a friend who collected guitars. He had dozens of them. He literally could not play a lick.

As I near my 6th decade on this planet I’ve come to appreciate the fact that owning fewer “things” is not only more rewarding, it’s better for the planet as well as my bank account. So my goal has been to spend my money and time only on considered and “curated” items. Be it motorcycles, cars, shoes, watches, or trumpets, for me, less is more. I also feel much better knowing that someone else is enjoying and playing the original owner Olds Recording that I recently sold. Between my Committee and the Bach 37, and the Benge, and my Solo Max, the Olds just sat in silence. A closet full of horns that never get played is a sad thing in my view.

At the risk of sounding a hypocrite, I have quite a lot of horns in my .sig. The Conn is simply too dear to me to ever sell…it was literally my first horn, given to me at age 7, and it’s precious to me. The bugle is just a totem, the Blessing is in very poor condition and thus an object d’art, and the Courtois is merely in a holding pattern. It belonged to a dear departed friend and I intend to have it restored and donated to a local school in his name.

Richard III wrote:
Same question I have for all collectors is, do you realize that there might be people out there looking for what you just bought? And they actually want that horn to play it. If your intent is to play them all, then no problem. My beef is with the people who collect them to just have them.

-tj

I don't play that well any more. It used to be one of the ways I relaxed, running, and riding my motorcycle the other choices. Running is out, and not enough country roads left for riding. I stopped playing in my 30's after the 1920's Holton my mom bought me was stolen. She just recently passed which is what got me thinking about it, and started my buying spree. So, I get them, most of which have sat through a couple cycles of auctions because of this or that repair needed, so when the price is right, and I think I can fix them, I get them, most will go to a needy kid once I figure a way to do that. Hate to give them to a school because without ownership, they'll just end up as junked as some cheap rental horn. Anyway, fixing them gives me satisfaction and a hobby. A few I've bought because I always wanted one, or I heard they were good and wanted to see the differences. Actually surprising, only 3 or 4 of the 30 I now have were well cared for, the rest were so totally neglected, I really wonder about why someone would have such a nice horn and not care for it. So regardless, they all get a new life except the few I haven't been able to fix, mostly for lack of parts, or so neglected, like the Martin Dansant that's been sitting in vinegar in my bathtub for a month because nothing will come apart. And later they'll get new owners who hopefully will take better care of them.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: