• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback Horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Comeback Horn Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player after 11 years and I'm looking for a new trumpet. I have a fixed budget of about $1,500 max and I'm more interested in a new trumpet partly because I don't want to inherit problems and partly because where I live there are no places to try different horns, so I'll be buying online (likely from ACB, Dillon, Thomann, etc.).

For reference, my last trumpet was a custom LA Benge 3X. Before that, in high school, I had a Yamaha allegro and before that I had Getzens (which I always had valve issue with for some reason).

I am looking for one trumpet for the forseeable future due to finances and kids. So, I don't really want to buy a lower model with the intent of buying another later as I likely won't be able to. My goal is to get my chops back and maybe find a local jazz group or find some gigs. I'd like the horn to be able to play warm in case I find a more legit group locally. That said, my preferred trumpet style is jazz/blues.

Here are some of the horns I'm interested in and wondering if anyone has thoughts:

Adams Prologue (or ACB Collab)
I've seen good things about this brand and this horn online. The only thing I'm a bit hesitant on is the recessed valve caps. I've never played with recessed caps and not sure if there a big difference. Still, this horn looks nice!

Manchester Brass RLGB
I've also seen great things about this horn. My only concern here is the reverse leadpipe. I don't have a lot of experience with reverse leadpipes, but for me they tend to play more inconsistently than standard leadpipes.

Schagerl JM1 (or Mnozil) or Schagerl 620
This company seems to get nothing but praise. I don't like James Morrison's name stamped on the horn, but could get over it. I also wonder if it's a marketing gimmick. The other two seem nice alternatives, but the 620 is likely a step down.

Any advice on the above horns? Any good "new" alternatives for less than $1500?
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: New horn Reply with quote

Hello,
Welcome to the TH. ACB has a nice used Yamaha 8335 for $1375. I would do that. The reverse leadpipe would just open the horn up a bit. I bet it plays nicely and you would have resale value...Even though you stated you did not want to think of being on a safari, sooner or later, you may want another change, and you would be ahead. Think of it like buying a Honda or Toyota...There will be a buyer and good resale as they are known and trusted brand. The other horns you mentioned, maybe not so much. Just my opinion. Yamaha horns are consistent. For a couple hundred more, you could find a nice Schilke B5 or S32 or a Bach 37.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New horn Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:

Think of it like buying a Honda or Toyota...There will be a buyer and good resale as they are known and trusted brand.

I'd go with a used Bach or Yamaha for this reason. If you want to move on to something else later, you can resell for what you paid and have a better idea of what direction you want to go in.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buying new, those are good horns. In that range, I really like Carolbrass, which is likely the OEM for one or more of the instruments you listed; the 5000 would be more like your Benge and the 5060 would be more like a 37. That said, Christian's advice to buy a good used horn is probably the best advice. If you buy the 8335 and decide to switch you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it, but that's not true of the other horns. If you could push your range up to $1500-2000 then you can really buy a lot of mint name brand horns.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you played and liked the Benge 3X, why not another one? I got mine from Dillon Music and it's a very good horn. https://www.dillonmusic.com/search.php?search_query=benge%203x&section=product

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about https://www.dillonmusic.com/carol-brass-5000-series-light-weight-trumpet/

Details: LINK

The reviews of this horn on TH are very good. The advertised price at Dillon is the lowest I've seen lately and within your budget.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote, FWIW, buy a quality used horn. Resale is the primary driver. A used Schilke (or other popular brands) will hold their value.
Padre08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an RLGB about 7 months ago from ACB. I'm about 2 years in my comeback, after first using a modified Olds Ambassador. I went with with this horn after reading great reviews and because of its price point. I practice about 2 hours a day, which for a dad of 8, a full-time job and an Army Reservist, is a lot. I get creative. I feel like I've put some good time in on the RLGB, and can offer some fair feedback. Here's my experience with this horn:

- The valves are just ok. I didn't realize how long it would take to break the valves in on a new horn. They were really sluggish at first, often sticking in the down position. It freaked me out some, and I event contacted Josh. They've improved some over time, but I have to oil them a lot. I used Ultra Pure Ultra Light oil and ACBs recommendation. I followed Trent's guidance to the T on breaking in valves. But, they're still just mediocre, which for Carol Brass block, surprised me. I switched over to Hetman's. Not much of a difference.

- The horn is beautiful! A little heavier than I thought it would be. It definitely stands out in a trumpet section of silver!

- The horn feels like it has a governor on it, if that makes sense. I play in a community band, and when I want to push it, I feel resistance. I honestly don't know if this the horn, or me (likely that latter).

- The sound is warm and dark, only varying slightly with mouthpiece change. Until recently (like 3 weeks ago), I was primarily using ACBMV3CS. I would sometimes switch between that, the TA2 and 3B.

- Slotting for me takes work. Although I've improved my accuracy quite a bit, I find that that I'm still inconsistent. Again, this is probably and most likely me, but I just wonder...

- It's hard for me to bend a C (3rd space) down a half step so that the B speaks. Is this the horn? Don't know.

- The folks at ACB are great. I received a video from Kyle right before shipment, sharing the horn was reading, with him playing it. Too cool!

Would I buy this horn again? No. I'd wait to buy a Yamaha 8335II. Again, I am spending a lot of time on the horn and I'm quickly catching up to my where I was 20 years ago. I'll keep the horn, but I'm looking to upgrade already!

Anyway, hope that was helpful.
Rusty[/list]
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2c, a good used Bach 37 or Yamaha Zeno can be bought in that price range. I haven't kept track of used Schilke Bb trumpet prices but a Schilke would do you well too. I played a B5 for a number of years.
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
Moose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I wanted to drop an update here. I found a good deal on an open box XO 1602s-LTR that arrived today! While it is a very light weight horn, the sound is certainly solid and I can already tell the intonation and slotting is great. At some point I will probably want to upgrade from the XO 3C that was provided with it but it will do for now. THANKS FOR THE INPUT FROM EVERYONE. I ALMOST GOT A YAMAHA ZENO BUT WHEN COMPARING, I COULD NOT JUSTIFY SPENDING AN EXTRA $500 FOR A USED TRUMPET WITH OBVIOUS TARNISHING OR DAMAGE REPAIR WHEN THIS ONE WAS CHEAPER AND PRACTICALLY BRAND NEW.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose wrote:
Hi, I wanted to drop an update here. I found a good deal on an open box XO 1602s-LTR that arrived today! While it is a very light weight horn, the sound is certainly solid and I can already tell the intonation and slotting is great. At some point I will probably want to upgrade from the XO 3C that was provided with it but it will do for now. THANKS FOR THE INPUT FROM EVERYONE. I ALMOST GOT A YAMAHA ZENO BUT WHEN COMPARING, I COULD NOT JUSTIFY SPENDING AN EXTRA $500 FOR A USED TRUMPET WITH OBVIOUS TARNISHING OR DAMAGE REPAIR WHEN THIS ONE WAS CHEAPER AND PRACTICALLY BRAND NEW.

Those are actually pretty solid and I think you'll enjoy the lightweight bell.

I've played a Jupiter XO since 2015 - mine is the 1600I Roger Ingram model in lacquer - and it's been a really nice axe for how I use it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to be truly satisfied with what you'll get.. you need to look for a good used top-line "pro" horn.
all the others: "as good as", "step-up", are lesser made or lesser material copies / want-to-be trumpets.

Go find yourself a Bach 180 or 190, Yamaha Xeno, Schilke etc...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I'd say to be truly satisfied with what you'll get.. you need to look for a good used top-line "pro" horn.
all the others: "as good as", "step-up", are lesser made or lesser material copies / want-to-be trumpets.

Go find yourself a Bach 180 or 190, Yamaha Xeno, Schilke etc...

The Jupiter XO 1602 LTR is a pro level horn.

Prior to his untimely passing, John Blount was playing Jupiter XO trumpets, or at least he was the last time I talked to him. If they're good enough for John Blount, the retired lead player of the US Navy Commodores, they're probably pretty solid.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did playtest an XO flugel a while back and quite liked it. It was on the lighter side and sounded like I wanted a flugel to sound. So, yes, I’d look into XO if I needed another horn.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I did playtest an XO flugel a while back and quite liked it. It was on the lighter side and sounded like I wanted a flugel to sound. So, yes, I’d look into XO if I needed another horn.

Something to take into account when looking at Jupiter XO Series trumpets are that they have possibly made some changes to keep prices down. A student I was working with in a HS jazz band ended up getting some variation of a 1602 as a step-up horn, and his specimen didn't seem to be put together quite as well as my 1600I, but that's purely anecdotal and may have been just that one particular trumpet.

My 1600I is put together really well. I've made the claim since I've had it that I'll never purposely buy another silver plated trumpet, and part of that comes from how well the lacquer has held up on my 1600I. I have one place where the lacquer has worn, and it's mostly because of how I grip the trumpet. I tend to hold with two fingers over and two fingers under the 3rd valve slide and my wedding band rubbing on the bottom of the slide caused the lacquer to come off of the nickel there.

Otherwise, the lacquer is in excellent shape. I've never had that kind of luck with ANY silver plated trumpet I have ever owned. My hands eat through the plating much more quickly.
- ACB Doubler

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I have exactly the same lacquer damage at the same spot for the exact same reason on my Bach. Been pondering one of these cool KGU yellow or red leather guards lately.

On the XOs - I’m not currently in the market for a horn but will keep your comment in mind, should I look at XO.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: