• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any thoughts on 1950's King Super 20 S1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Any thoughts on 1950's King Super 20 S1? Reply with quote

Just snagged a 1950 King Super 20 S1, hoping it's as good as it's reputed to be. Would like to have gotten the dual bore one as I heard they are the best version of it, but prices are high on those, if and when for sale. Anyone have played or own one that has any thoughts on it?

Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)

Last edited by dwgib on Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are likely to find that it is a great playing trumpet.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what wrote:
I think you are likely to find that it is a great playing trumpet.

Hoping so.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know anything about The King Super 20 S1. I own and play a King Super 20 Silversonic dual bore Symphonic the model Harry James played. I will only say that if the S1 is even half the horn that my Silversonic is, you will be more than pleased.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Sorry, I don't know anything about The King Super 20 S1. I own and play a King Super 20 Silversonic dual bore Symphonic the model Harry James played. I will only say that if the S1 is even half the horn that my Silversonic is, you will be more than pleased.

George

Good to hear because I stretched myself a little thin for this month getting it, but it was on my list and couldn't not get it for the price of $300
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwgib wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:

George

Good to hear because I stretched myself a little thin for this month getting it, but it was on my list and couldn't not get it for the price of $300

I'd say you got yourself a good bargain.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:

I'd say you got yourself a good bargain.
George

That's what I thought and why I had to get it. Has one minor issue, a slight bend in the bell rim that should be easily fixed because it not that bad and came with original leather bound case, 2 period mutes, and 2 period Bach mouthpieces
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one that was amazing and traded it to Andy Taylor for a new Flumpet, he got the better part of the deal. I also have a very early model bought as almost new and I’m still breaking in the valves. I have some real special and too expensive horns that at best equal and only 2 of 12 horns better it. None are the equal of the 1st. They hit much above their price even if you pay up to 2k for a pristine one (always play 1st). Keep in mind you are playing a M bore horn and adjust as you must and it will sing and soar and blend with anything. I also think it (they) help me endurance wise, although at 71 2 hrs is about my limit.
Rod
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
I had one that was amazing and traded it to Andy Taylor for a new Flumpet, he got the better part of the deal. I also have a very early model bought as almost new and I’m still breaking in the valves. I have some real special and too expensive horns that at best equal and only 2 of 12 horns better it. None are the equal of the 1st. They hit much above their price even if you pay up to 2k for a pristine one (always play 1st). Keep in mind you are playing a M bore horn and adjust as you must and it will sing and soar and blend with anything. I also think it (they) help me endurance wise, although at 71 2 hrs is about my limit.
Rod

Wow, how'd you find an early one new enough you still have to break it in?
Thanks, although buying off ebay, I couldn't play it, of course, but it sounds like it'll still be great, especially for the price I got it. Getting excited to get it now. Seller just shipped today and is only a state away, so should have it soon. Do you remember which type your other one was? And which type the one you have now is? Just curious about the difference between the S1, S2, & Dual Bore.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dual bore Silversonic is considered a large bore with the following size range:.464 to .468 if that is any help to you.

With the exception of a Selmer medium bore most of my horns are medium-large bore ( approx .459 to .460 ). So the King does take a bit more effort to play but is worth it.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Super 20 today. Wow! This horn plays beautifully, and so easily. Of course all the slides were stuck, got all unstuck except the dual part of the main tuning slide. I assume you take the spacer piece out to change key to C? I really don't know, I have a couple horns like this but have never seen any info on what it does, only my assumptions when the info on them say Bflat, A, & C.
Anyway, like most of the others, they're really stuck together. I love that this horn has the screw type limiters on both the main tuning slide and the 3rd valve slide.
Anyway, beautiful horn. I see from the tone why one guy said in his auction description that it was the poor man's Committee.
I may send it out to get the bell bend fixed and the slide unstuck, way too nice & expensive to try myself. Might even go for a refinish, depending on cost of course.
I may go for a silver plate on it. Although it wasn't offered in that.

Just looking at the HN WHITE site, This one must be early enough to have a 1 piece bell, as they have one for sale a couple numbers off from mine that is. And it seems that tuning slide doesn't come apart, as they have several for sale with all slides removed where they didn't take it apart, which if it did, I would have assumed they would have.
Nice thing, my case latches are broken and they sell new exact replacements, very cool.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that tuning slide is two pieces, though most are completely stuck from decades of sitting closed. It is not intended that the H-shaped section be removed to raise the horn to C -- you'd need a complete set of shorter valve slides to manage that. The stuck slide is the Bb tuning slide. The stop rings on the H-slide are to quickly retune the trumpet to A. In a perfect world you'd also extend the valve slides for playing in A, and older versions of the Super 20 probably had lines scribed on the valve slides indicating how far to pull each one for playing in A.

By the time this trumpet was made pulling slides to play in A was no longer common, but legacy designs still had some of the parts to do so (into the early '70s the Bach catalog still listed the price of an optional main tuning slide rod-stop for quick changes to A).
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
I believe that tuning slide is two pieces, though most are completely stuck from decades of sitting closed. It is not intended that the H-shaped section be removed to raise the horn to C -- you'd need a complete set of shorter valve slides to manage that. The stuck slide is the Bb tuning slide. The stop rings on the H-slide are to quickly retune the trumpet to A. In a perfect world you'd also extend the valve slides for playing in A, and older versions of the Super 20 probably had lines scribed on the valve slides indicating how far to pull each one for playing in A.

By the time this trumpet was made pulling slides to play in A was no longer common, but legacy designs still had some of the parts to do so (into the early '70s the Bach catalog still listed the price of an optional main tuning slide rod-stop for quick changes to A).

That's what I originally thought, but the HN White site, with several for sale, all completely reconditioned, all with a pic of all slides and valves out, none of them have the slide separated into 2 parts, which I'd have to assume they'd do to show 100% functionality to the redone horns.
What would removing the H section do? High pitch?
Mine has a stop section on the screw type stop also on the 3rd slide to quickly extend it about a 1/2 inch, is that for the A tuning maybe? I ask bc I've never seen one designed with a stop at a certain position, usually it's based on an adjustable rod, if a stop at all.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)

Last edited by dwgib on Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
The stop rings on the H-slide are to quickly retune the trumpet to A. In a perfect world you'd also extend the valve slides for playing in A, and older versions of the Super 20 probably had lines scribed on the valve slides indicating how far to pull each one for playing in A.

Nevermind previous question on 3rd slide, both 3rd, 1st, and 2nd slides all have an engraved line around them at different small increments from fully closed, as you said.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: