• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When u no longer have much interest in trying something new

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: When u no longer have much interest in trying something Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

I've got to the stage where I'm really happy with my current instruments to the point that I'm not really interested in trying something new or different, and I'm wondering whether anyone else feels the same.

I'm INTERESTED but it's POINTLESS. (I feel).

I play a low grade Yamaha (trumpet). It's the only horn I have. It works for me. I got rid of a Strad because it kept collecting dents. I don't miss it at all. The brass people I play with don't mind (the non-brass people haven't even noticed). I don't miss any of the vintage horns I have played during these last 65 years either (Besson, Schilke, Olds, Martin, King, Callichio).

What interests me STILL is the MOUTHPIECE. It has to fit me and it has to fit the horn. I have one that seems to do it (Reeves). But I continue to be INTERESTED in mouthpieces.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
As an inveterate collector and sampler, I can totally relate. There are two horns that I cannot part with: My NY Bach, and my wartime Olds Super. My '28 King is a close third and gets a lot of mileage, and even with its age has better intonation than anything I play.

Well, then there's the Committee, but I digress.

When you lock into something that works, it beats shopping.

ed

Hi Ed

I completely agree. I also think that there is an element of sounding like you. As a case in point, admittedly they are very similar, but I changed my old and scruffy Yamaha Xeno cornet for a like new Neo in the same configuration (yellow brass bell in lacquer) a few weeks ago, and told nobody in my band lol.

To me the Neo sounds different because of the gold brass leadpipe, tuning slide crook, and crook where the tuning slide enters the third valve. I'm not sure how gold brass for the leadpipe changes the sound in comparison to gold brass for the bell, but to me the Neo clearly sounds warmer. It also sounds a little more open to me, but I think that this is because it a little more open to play.

My point is that although I have never done a back to back comparison, I immediately notice a difference in sound on the Neo and still hear this difference. Nobody else appears to have noticed.

I think that we personally tune more into our sound, whereas an audience just listens to the overall performance. My husband is an extremely good modern jazz/bebop saxophonist, predominantly alto. I've gone with him to try different saxophones/mouthpieces, and although I hear the differences in a direct comparisons, when just listening to him play, I don't. He has two soprano saxes, a professional curved model and a cheap Gear for Music straight model. With the same good quality mouthpiece, I'm not convinced that I'd be able to tell which he is playing, without a back to back comparison. Sometimes when I'm not looking at him, I can convince myself that he is playing alto, then he goes too high for alto, and I think, he's on soprano. Admittedly I'm no saxophonist, but he just sounds like him on everything. With different horns/different mouthpieces, his sound, style and approach are what I hear.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, everyone else who has replied. I'll try and get back to you overtime. I have something else I'd like to post, then must get on with a few things at home.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good place to be; once you're over the fact that your gear is good enough, all that remains is practice, perfecting your skills and learning new music.

I think mentally it's an important distinction, because you don't really want somewhere in your mind, nibbling away that your instrument is holding you back.

I'm more or less at that point, the only things I'll be really looking at still, may be mouthpieces and some other aids. Relatively cheap by comparison, but overall, my cornet setup tends to work well for my purposes, so I'm not really bothered to look for anything new, I just need to play.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good post! In these days of buy-wear-throw away!
In 1970 - I know long time ago - I realized that I had to buy myself a trumpet. Coming from the brass band in which I grew up musically I tested and played most of the fine horns of that day amongst which the King Super 20 Symphony DB stood out. I liked the tonal quality, the phenomenal valves (they still are), the superb slotting. And I never ever regretted that decision. The King served me well during all these years, in vastly different settings, mostly big band lead.

Then I found the TH. Realizing people change horns. But I was stubborn.
However one day I had the opportunity to test a Van Laar B3 (I think) which seemed a little bit more open perhaps somewhat more easy to play???More easy? Should come in very handy at this point in life.
So I bought this Yamaha 6335 RC immediately feeling this was my horn (after testing a lot of other horns). No need for other horns. Because it seemed to help me, a little more punch for the same input.

However some time ago I pulled out the King again and began to wonder - why on earth did I buy a new horn??? The same super quality sound, the same valves.......
I am the same guy but at the same time I´m different. I´ve come to the phase in my life when easy does it is to be preferred. So I´ll continue with the Jammie which sure helps me more - but does not have the same "flair"as the King. But good enough!

Reflecting on what I´ve and the other posters have written the idea strikes me that sometimes we are lucky enough to find a horn (or car, camera, what ever) that in some intangible way seems to be the perfect fit to our being. To become enjoyed!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are lucky in that we can buy and try top of the line horns for comparatively modest sums. I've never spent more than $1,500 for a horn, though I've only ever bought used. Violinists can pay $10K for a bow.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

It's hard to beat the quality and sound of a Yamaha 8335 II Xeno trumpet. Enjoy your fine Xeno trumpet forget about the zillion other trumpets out in the world.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much everyone for all your replies, which I am really enjoying reading, and finding very interesting. I haven't time to reply properly, but thank you very much your replies are very interesting. I've already read all your replies in detail, but will skim through and make a few comments.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I’m about to come full circle these days, so can relate to Louise quite a bit. When I started I had one trumpet and one mouthpiece and played that combo for over a decade for everything.

Then switched to a more aggressive mouthpiece and bought my Bach in the signature. Played that combo for 20 years.

Then got tenure and for the first time in my life had some disposable income. Went on a bit of a mouthpiece safari - Monette, GR, Warburton, Lotus, … - and finally landed on AR after ca. 5 years. Also bought the rotary because I always wanted a rotary (and love it, wonderful instrument).

On the way I also bought a few trumpets because I wanted to “try out some cool horns” but really found they are not adding much to my capabilities and in some cases even fit me less good than those I had.

So, after time, I sold all of them again and really am down to those in the list plus a few that need a cleanup before I dare selling them. There are very few instruments I’d like to try at the moment - Selmer Radial, Olds Special, Conn 6B - and there are really only two trumpets I have played where I thought, wow, that would be an improvement over the Bach: a Martin Schmidt piston horn and the X-13.

Long winded post, sorry, but nowadays I really like the idea (again) of taking one horn and one mouthpiece. Sort of the plug and play approach, I guess. One combination for orchestra, one for big band and commercial stuff, and then the C and the flugel.

I use just one trumpet mouthpiece. I'm rather a jack of all trades trumpeter nowadays, symphony orchestra, a community light orchestra (light classical repertoire, show tunes and popular music), and an American Songbook style jazz band. I use what is effectively a copy of my large variant (larger apparently than an average 1 1/2C) Bach 3C for everything. Works well enough.

Rarely play the cornet and been thinking about selling that one, too.

I play cornet as my primary horn.

One thing I am still interested is tinkering with some details. My flugel needs water keys on 1 and 3, the trigger is at the wrong location, that kind of stuff.

Interesting. I tinker with mouthpiece gaps and valve alignments, but never waterkeys and triggers. Not that I think that people shouldn't tinker with these details, rather than I've never personally thought about doing so.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Hi, Louise! I haven't seen a post from you in ages. I hope you are well.

Hi Brian. I've just been busy. I am well, thanks, and hope that you are also well.

To answer your question, Yes, no, sort of, yes.

Yes - When I started my comeback around 2005, nothing but my Benge 5X interested me. It was the greatest trumpet on the planet and I knew it. Then, it started giving me valve trouble and I began to spend time at the Kanstul showroom. Eventually, I had to admit that there were better trumpets on the planet.

No - Enter Flip Oakes. In 2009, I was introduced to the Wild Thing trumpet. It staggered me! People here get tired of me writing about it, so I'll just admit one goofy truth about owning and playing it: I always wanted to find a different trumpet. It was never about the sound, the incredible way it plays or any of the real attributes that count. I wanted my Wild Thing to look like a Benge, instead of a Bach. That's it. Stupid, right? But I've got this aesthetic magnet in me that pulls hard when something I think is attractive happens by. I've never thought the WT is particularly beautiful.

Sort of - Fast forward to my time in Arizona. I stopped playing anywhere but my bedroom for most of the past 12 years, up until the past two when I joined a local Community Concert Band. Since joining, I have struggled to feel comfortable in that trumpet section playing my horn. The tone is great, though a little brighter than I'd like, but the sound is too big. We have a bunch of trumpet players of different skill levels and it is hard to get down to dynamic levels that balance with them, at least that's how I perceive it. I've spent three semesters trying once again to tame my horn. Rather, I've worked to be able to play accurately and consistently at much lower volume levels than even what I use in my bedroom.

One day, I had some time and was in the neighborhood, so I stopped at Milano Music in Mesa, AZ and played the Shires CVLA-L. Dang! It slotted better than any trumpet I'd ever played, to be honest. That meant that I could see myself playing through my entire usable range at really low dynamics and not lose accuracy. Why "Dang!?" Because, I cannot afford to buy another trumpet and I will never sell my Wild Thing voluntarily while I'm alive.

Yes - I made a trip back to Southern California this past April and took time to visit Flip and Joyce Oakes while there. I love to spend time with Flip in his shop doing trumpet stuff, so I made sure to take some of the day to catch up there. Flip handed me a little brass disc with a hole in it and told me to try putting that in the bottom cap of my flugelhorn's first valve. When I got back home, I did, but I tried it in the trumpet first. BAM! Slotting and response like that Shires! Holy cow! I used it for the final concert last Spring.

With the timbre (and beauty!) of my new-spec copper WT, the versatility of multiple tuning slides that significantly alter how the horn plays, with the new-found improved slotting and accuracy, I am satisfied.

Very interesting, thanks very much.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd4f wrote:
I think this is a good place to be; once you're over the fact that your gear is good enough, all that remains is practice, perfecting your skills and learning new music.

I think mentally it's an important distinction, because you don't really want somewhere in your mind, nibbling away that your instrument is holding you back.

I'm more or less at that point, the only things I'll be really looking at still, may be mouthpieces and some other aids. Relatively cheap by comparison, but overall, my cornet setup tends to work well for my purposes, so I'm not really bothered to look for anything new, I just need to play.

Hi sd4f

I completely agree, thank you very much.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
A very good post! In these days of buy-wear-throw away!

Thank you very much Seymor

In 1970 - I know long time ago - I realized that I had to buy myself a trumpet. Coming from the brass band in which I grew up musically I tested and played most of the fine horns of that day amongst which the King Super 20 Symphony DB stood out. I liked the tonal quality, the phenomenal valves (they still are), the superb slotting. And I never ever regretted that decision. The King served me well during all these years, in vastly different settings, mostly big band lead.

Then I found the TH. Realizing people change horns. But I was stubborn.
However one day I had the opportunity to test a Van Laar B3 (I think) which seemed a little bit more open perhaps somewhat more easy to play???More easy? Should come in very handy at this point in life.
So I bought this Yamaha 6335 RC immediately feeling this was my horn (after testing a lot of other horns). No need for other horns. Because it seemed to help me, a little more punch for the same input.

However some time ago I pulled out the King again and began to wonder - why on earth did I buy a new horn??? The same super quality sound, the same valves.......
I am the same guy but at the same time I´m different. I´ve come to the phase in my life when easy does it is to be preferred. So I´ll continue with the Jammie which sure helps me more - but does not have the same "flair"as the King. But good enough!

Reflecting on what I´ve and the other posters have written the idea strikes me that sometimes we are lucky enough to find a horn (or car, camera, what ever) that in some intangible way seems to be the perfect fit to our being. To become enjoyed!

Very interesting, thanks.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
Lou,

It's hard to beat the quality and sound of a Yamaha 8335 II Xeno trumpet. Enjoy your fine Xeno trumpet forget about the zillion other trumpets out in the world.

Thank you very much plankowner110.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given a few replies, to either more personal posts from people that I've known on here for sometime and have corresponded with more, or otherwise when I've had something I'd like to say in response.

I really wish that I had the time to reply to everyone personally, and to thank them very much for their really appreciated replies. Even if I haven't said anything in response to your particular post, I have still enjoyed your post, and found what you had to say very interesting. I've simply had nothing specific to say in response.

Many thanks again

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not an equipment-oriented guy. I've been playing essentially the same Bb trumpet model since 1969. I played the same C for nearly 40 years but did buy a Yamaha Chi model which I really enjoy. Same Eb/D since around 1977 and after a few other pics, settled on a P5-4 30 some years back and still using.

I find if/when my general interest in playing wanes, getting out new etude material, or finishing up on things I began even 50 years ago but did not follow through on is more than enough motivation. That, and always having some really great people to perform or play with.

I'm probably the only trumpet player in the world that believes his equipmwnt is probably better than he... Or that it never has been the equipment that holds me back...
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Louise, thanks for your reply. I guess everyone has their own preferences and, like you, I could certainly do everything with one mouthpiece. I just found that having my current set helps me achieve what I want soundwise. This is really just for my own enjoyment, I don’t think anyone in the band or orchestra notices or cares. But music is my only serious hobby, so there should be a fun aspect to it

Craig: I have not been equipment oriented for the first 30 years but then I discovered all the online classifieds, TH, the German Trompetenforum and the fact that there is a surprisingly large number of custom builders. As I like beautiful mechanical things like old watches, this naturally also piqued my interest in other horns. The fun thing is, though, that I essentially stick with the horns in my sig (minus the cornet, which only comes out Christmas, when it’s dark outside and I need to be really close to the music stand to read the Christmas carols). So I guess I’m reasonably close to what you do (but don’t say no to an occasional stray horn).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Personally, I'm not an equipment-oriented guy. I've been playing essentially the same Bb trumpet model since 1969. I played the same C for nearly 40 years but did buy a Yamaha Chi model which I really enjoy. Same Eb/D since around 1977 and after a few other pics, settled on a P5-4 30 some years back and still using.

I find if/when my general interest in playing wanes, getting out new etude material, or finishing up on things I began even 50 years ago but did not follow through on is more than enough motivation. That, and always having some really great people to perform or play with.

I'm probably the only trumpet player in the world that believes his equipmwnt is probably better than he... Or that it never has been the equipment that holds me back...

Thanks very much, Craig, your reply is really appreciated. Regarding your last comment, you are a very wise man. A reputable professional trumpet in good playing condition is unlikely to hold anyone back.

I can't remember who, but I remember a story of a pro player I believe, who visited a school to do a clinic. As an example of what we are talking about, they asked who had the worst trumpet, and encouraged by his mates, a kid came up and handed the pro player a really beaten up trumpet. The pro player then asked who had the worst mouthpiece, the equivalent happened, the pro put the worst mouthpiece in the worst trumpet, played something amazing, then said, it is not the equipment, now go practice, or something on those lines.

I wouldn't take it this far. I nearly sent my Yamaha Xeno II back when I trialled it, as it played and sounded stuffy. I then reduced the mouthpiece gap via sleeves, and the difference was night and day. Both the sound and response opened up, and I thought wow. I'm a firm believer in dialling in mouthpiece gap.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Hey Louise, thanks for your reply.

Hi Brassnose

You are welcome.

I guess everyone has their own preferences and, like you, I could certainly do everything with one mouthpiece. I just found that having my current set helps me achieve what I want soundwise.

Fair enough!

This is really just for my own enjoyment, I don’t think anyone in the band or orchestra notices or cares.

No they probably don't.

But music is my only serious hobby, so there should be a fun aspect to it

I couldn't agree more.

All the best

Lou

Craig: I have not been equipment oriented for the first 30 years but then I discovered all the online classifieds, TH, the German Trompetenforum and the fact that there is a surprisingly large number of custom builders. As I like beautiful mechanical things like old watches, this naturally also piqued my interest in other horns. The fun thing is, though, that I essentially stick with the horns in my sig (minus the cornet, which only comes out Christmas, when it’s dark outside and I need to be really close to the music stand to read the Christmas carols). So I guess I’m reasonably close to what you do (but don’t say no to an occasional stray horn).

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, and here I am, looking at a Conn 6B about a week after I posted I really didn’t need another horn Truth is I don’t need it but it’s been on my want to try list, so there you have it.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
OK, and here I am, looking at a Conn 6B about a week after I posted I really didn’t need another horn Truth is I don’t need it but it’s been on my want to try list, so there you have it.

Lol. Don't get me wrong. If I had loads of spare income, there are plenty of horns that I'd like to own or at least try, but I'm confident that what I already own gets the job done very well, and I really like my Xeno II trumpet, Neo cornet and Bach 183 flugel. My Kanstul made F Besson Classic C is good enough, as are my Yamaha straight D (I forget the model number) and 6610 D/Eb.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: