• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I accidentally blasted out a double C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: I accidentally blasted out a double C Reply with quote

I accidentally blasted out a very loud double C while toying with my trumpet and my 10.5C. That's like an octave beyond my normal range, not counting accidental squeaks every now and then. After that I tried to repeat it but I'm trying too hard I think.
It felt really easy when it popped out, but if I try it consciously itÅ› not easy at all.
How does one convince one's muscle memory that it's not a Herculean effort, BRACE FOR IMPACT! HULK SMASH! but just the right lip setting and some coordination or something...
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post!

Not sure how to calm the lip and pump out Double High C's consistently, but it you figure it out - do let us know.

It's still thrilling to do it every now and then. It's kind of like an eagle in golf... It keeps us coming back for more.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it was in tune also.. on a Bach mp shocking
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've ever read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series, you'll remember that Arthur Dent learned to fly by falling and forgetting to hit the ground. Sometimes I think trumpet playing is a lot like that.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect the few remaining 10.5C mouthpieces listed on marketplace to vanish due to suddenly increased demand. Ones listed after will be listed at a substantially higher price and will bear an "easy double C" advertisement moniker.

Bach might approach you to copy the unique shape of your 10.5C (there is enough variability at Bach so just any 10.5C will not do).

Consider writing a book and opening a remote learning school "Dryuff Double C".
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: I accidentally blasted out a double C Reply with quote

Druyff wrote:
How does one convince one's muscle memory that it's not a Herculean effort, but just the right lip setting and some coordination or something.

Repetition and knowing which muscles are a supporting foundation and where to let them be pliable.

I had a solid High C for warm-ups, but my consistent playing range was really about an A above the staff. Then I switched to sax and that called for a different mentality about how to use the embouchure. Psychologically, high notes were easy. I had a different mental approach to high notes.

Decades later, switch back to trumpet but with a different attitude about embouchure. I did not force the embouchure muscles and did not clamp down to the degree that I previously did. And I did not see high notes as (relatively) difficult.

Two approaches helped me over the hump to Double High C. (I would say, I had a practice-room Double High C and a workable E over High C). My two "helpers" were "The Balanced Embouchure" and Maggio's exercises; Balanced Embouchure for, really, just showing me that there really wasn't only one way to use your embouchure. And Maggio's exercises (not his "monkey" embouchure) that kept me moving gradually higher and higher.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that happened to me last year, playing a Benge 7C piece. Loud and strong, double C.

It hasn't happened since, but I'm still trying!
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an intermittent double C player myself like all notes the dub C will come out every time you hit just the right combination of manipulation of all the elements involved - it's more than just the lips, it's *everything* - air, oral cavity, lips at the right position to each other, the right kind of tension, pressure distribution. You've learned it's possible to do, the hard part is learning to make it repeatable on demand.

Unfortunately you don't have a way of "dialing it in" other than through feel. I imagine most people sneak up on it over time. You think you're doing things the same way but if it's not coming out then you're not doing it the same way - the difference might be subtle but it's real.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: I accidentally blasted out a double C Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Druyff wrote:
How does one convince one's muscle memory that it's not a Herculean effort, but just the right lip setting and some coordination or something.

Repetition and knowing which muscles are a supporting foundation and where to let them be pliable.

I had a solid High C for warm-ups, but my consistent playing range was really about an A above the staff. Then I switched to sax and that called for a different mentality about how to use the embouchure. Psychologically, high notes were easy. I had a different mental approach to high notes.

Decades later, switch back to trumpet but with a different attitude about embouchure. I did not force the embouchure muscles and did not clamp down to the degree that I previously did. And I did not see high notes as (relatively) difficult.

Two approaches helped me over the hump to Double High C. (I would say, I had a practice-room Double High C and a workable E over High C). My two "helpers" were "The Balanced Embouchure" and Maggio's exercises; Balanced Embouchure for, really, just showing me that there really wasn't only one way to use your embouchure. And Maggio's exercises (not his "monkey" embouchure) that kept me moving gradually higher and higher.

Jeff Smiley's book helped a great deal. A bit of a chin bunch did the trick. I found a sweet spot where everything sounded right. Just a slight roll in or roll out to change registers. I don't use the tongue on the lips he advocates. I use the anchored tongue on my bottom lip and articulate off my top lip and teeth. I guess it's an older version of what Callet taught. It works for me.
I wish I knew this in my younger days when I was practicing and playing regularly.
Even though I don't really play these days I pick up my Yamaha once in a while. I can still play a decent A Flat over high C without a lot of motion or strain when changing registers.
I don't think Jeff gets the credit he deserves.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't use the tongue on the lips he advocates."

I haven't read his book in a while, but my carry-away was that tonguing between the teeth was an exercise for making you sensitive to keeping enough of a gap between your lips to let the air flow freely. An exercise, not a way of playing.

Quoting Andy Bumatai (Peanuts will know), "No quote me. I might be wrong".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"I don't use the tongue on the lips he advocates."

I haven't read his book in a while, but my carry-away was that tonguing between the teeth was an exercise for making you sensitive to keeping enough of a gap between your lips to let the air flow freely. An exercise, not a way of playing.

Quoting Andy Bumatai (Peanuts will know), "No quote me. I might be wrong".

My kama'aina bride still talks about All In The Ohana!
I'm more of a Rap Replinger guy.
Johnny Okole, he's your okole, he's my okole!!!!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
If you've ever read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series, you'll remember that Arthur Dent learned to fly by falling and forgetting to hit the ground. Sometimes I think trumpet playing is a lot like that.

Good to know that there are other hoopy froods here.

But seriously, was that in HGG or the Dirk Gently Holistic Detective Agency books?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
spitvalve wrote:

But seriously, was that in HGG or the Dirk Gently Holistic Detective Agency books?

It was in HGG vol 3, Life, the Universe and Everything, I think.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
cheiden wrote:
spitvalve wrote:

Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened again for me, this time on the Curry 3C, and I think I know why.

- more time on the P.E.T.E. (hey, it works for me)
- a bit of a curl-back at the center the lips
- less pressure mouthpiece-to-face
- but more air just shoved through the damn thing, from the core.
- everything was light, tiny, whistly ... but more air.
... and I can pre-hear and aim for the pitch a bit more easily.

One might ask what happens when you're unsuccessful? Does it get all stuffed up? Then less pressure might be needed.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:

One might ask what happens when you're unsuccessful? Does it get all stuffed up? Then less pressure might be needed.

There's no one answer - something about your setup isn't where it needs to be - it *all* has to be in place. You can hit the edge of the bullseye and get a weak dub C, the closer you get to the center the more robust it will be. You can huff and strain and turn 7 shades of purple and it's not going to happen if things aren't aligned right. If everything is in place you need to blow for sure but it will happen without having to risk rupturing something.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
cheiden wrote:
spitvalve wrote:

I might need to re-read these now! Fun memories.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
spitvalve wrote:
cheiden wrote:
spitvalve wrote:

I might need to re-read these now! Fun memories.

Just be sure you know where your towel is.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
mograph wrote:

There's no one answer - something about your setup isn't where it needs to be - it *all* has to be in place. You can hit the edge of the bullseye and get a weak dub C, the closer you get to the center the more robust it will be. You can huff and strain and turn 7 shades of purple and it's not going to happen if things aren't aligned right. If everything is in place you need to blow for sure but it will happen without having to risk rupturing something.

Oh yeah, it's all gotta work together. I guess my point to the OP (who is not me) is that when the good note doesn't happen, look at what does happen as a clue to what's missing, or not optimal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: