• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High range endurance

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cipetojidi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: High range endurance Reply with quote

Hello, I have a question regarding the development of high range endurance.
I have been playing for about ten years and about a year every day (between 20 minutes or an hour). During the first 4 months that I played daily, my level improved. But now there is no difference. After 20 minutes of playing in high range (c to g or a at the bottom of the staff) I can no longer play at this height. The only way is to blow a lot of air, much more than normal and with less upper lips in the mouthpiece. If I don't do that, the sound (if there is sound) is horrible like a new player playing for the first time.

Why this sound and how can I change this ?

I play a cornet with 4B mouthpiece
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question about 'how you play' -

Are you trying to make your lips buzz - the same way as making a buzz on just the mouthpiece?
Doing it that way is wrong.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years? You need a good teacher!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like me when I try to play a cornet with a Wick 4B.

Kidding aside (sort of) I agree that you really need a quality teacher and a suitable daily routine if you expect to make regular progress.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cipetojidi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers.

I don't know if that could be a reason, but I put the top of my mouthpiece on the red lip but not the bottom.

My mouthpiece is like 1/3 up 2/3 down.

It's the only way I can play, I've played 9 years without placing mouthpiece on the red but I can't hit any notes over the staff without a lot of pressure. Now when playing on red I can reach C over the staff (with a lot of pressure) but before with the same pressure I could only reach a G. Maybe it's the cause because I read a lot of articles in which it's said it was the worst way to play.

I tried a lot of different positions but nothing other works

PS : I don't have a teacher actually
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with the rim 'on the red' is usually not recommended, but some people do it that way - and it can work if done properly.

When playing high notes, do you make any adjustment of the amount of rim pressure on your lower lip? Using rim pressure only on the upper lip can cause the upper lip to not be flexible enough for easy vibrations.

While doing long tones, be aware of how you are using lower lip rim pressure - and make small adjustments with more or less pressure to find the amount that works best. The pressure distribution between upper and lower depends on the range of the notes being played - only a small amount of physical movement is needed.
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a teacher and an embouchure change. Playing with the rim in the red of the top lip is highly detrimental to everything, barring the extremely rare exceptions...one of which, you are clearly not.

Not your fault that you ended up here, but...teacher and embouchure change.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipetojidi wrote:
It's the only way I can play, I've played 9 years without placing mouthpiece on the red but I can't hit any notes over the staff without a lot of pressure. Now when playing on red I can reach C over the staff (with a lot of pressure) but before with the same pressure I could only reach a G. Maybe it's the cause because I read a lot of articles in which it's said it was the worst way to play.

They key phrase imho is 'lot of pressure'. The range you're describing shouldn't require a lot of pressure. Counterintuitively, it may be easier to play if you can learn to use less pressure.

The fact that you can reach the note while playing in the red may actually be a red herring: it's not neccesarily a more optimal setting for you, just one that allows you to force your way a bit further beyond your current limitations.

Ideally you'll want to find a teacher who can help you to learn how to play by technique rather than force. It'll be quite a bit of work to unlearn the impulse to use force to play high. But in the end you'll be a much better player for it, and not just range-wise, but also for endurance and tone.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re using too much air.
You already diagnosed one major problem.

Don’t take it from me though.
Go find a couple interviews of Jim Manley or Roger Ingram.

Ok so use less air so the trumpet doesn’t back up on you…. Now what?

Go get a real teacher and invest in your learning.
Even 1 video lesson can be life changing with your technique.
(You already diagnosed a 2nd problem - “nine years & no teacher”

Notice how many hundreds or thousands of competent trumpet players
Who WILL NOT be commenting here to help you. Its hard to take someone serious who does not invest in their craft. (They’re busy working on theirs)
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: High range endurance Reply with quote

cipetojidi wrote:
I have been playing for about ten years and about a year every day (between 20 minutes or an hour). During the first 4 months that I played daily, my level improved. But now there is no difference. After 20 minutes of playing in high range (c to g or a at the bottom of the staff) I can no longer play at this height. The only way is to blow a lot of air, much more than normal and with less upper lips in the mouthpiece. If I don't do that, the sound (if there is sound) is horrible like a new player playing for the first time.

I play a cornet with 4B mouthpiece

I've sent you a PM.

Mike
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: High range endurance Reply with quote

cipetojidi wrote:

Hi, cipetojidi.

Without being able to watch you play in person this is an educated guess. What you describe about your embouchure leads me to believe that you have an upstream embouchure. Players of this type are more prone to the smile embouchure and the endurance issues you described are very much a characteristic of players with a smile embouchure. Ideally you want your mouth corners to remain more or less locked in place for your entire range, so check to see if you're pulling them back into a smiling position as you ascend.

There are some things that upstream players should do that are opposite of the more common basic downstream embouchure types. They also tend to be a little more sensitive to playing wrong for their type than the downstream types. When it's working great you can feel like a hero, but when it's a little bit off it spirals down pretty quickly and can be frustrating. I speak from personal experience.

Quote:

Again, assuming without watching you play my guess here is that you should stick with the low placement that allows you to play higher and learn to play correctly with an upstream embouchure type. Yes, there are many players who argue that it's the "worst way to play," but they are just assuming that what works for them is best for everyone. It's not so common for players to place on the red of their upper lip, but if that's what suits your anatomy best then you're better off placing the mouthpiece there than trying to play with a less efficient mouthpiece pressure. You're more likely to cause damage to your lips with a placement that's improper for your type.

Quote:
Playing with the rim in the red of the top lip is highly detrimental to everything, barring the extremely rare exceptions...one of which, you are clearly not.

It's not as rare as you think. I had a conventional looking mouthpiece placement up through grad school, but was ultimately more successful when I consciously changed my mouthpiece placement to where it's right on the red of my upper lip. For what it's worth, I'm a trombonist and don't really double on trumpet very well, but here's a friend of mine with a very similar embouchure to mine.

Link

If you firm your lips properly while playing your lips can easily withstand pressure from normal playing, including the vermillion. There is muscle underneath the red of the lips, contrary to what some books and teachers might state.

I wouldn't advise this mouthpiece placement to most players, but when it fits the player's anatomy it's fine. That's my philosophy for all mouthpiece placements, by the way. There are certainly more common patterns, but everyone has a unique face and will have a personal embouchure that has its own idiosyncrasies and quirks. My approach is to learn to work with, rather than against, your anatomical tendencies.

Dave
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipetojidi wrote:
Thank you for your answers.

I don't know if that could be a reason, but I put the top of my mouthpiece on the red lip but not the bottom.

PS : I don't have a teacher actually

10 years is a long time to be playing and only being able to "reach" G or even hi C. Your not playing efficiently. most likely using too much air, definitely using too much pressure and possibly using the wrong size mouthpiece, get a teacher, sure, but maybe thats not possible, you optimally want to be able to produce sound with the least amount of pressure and air as possible. check out the bill adam forum to learn about Leadpipe buzzing. 20 minutes a day is enough time to develop how to effciently play notes, more time gives better technique and skills, but 20 minutes is enough to learn the "feel" of the notes. Seriously, you have invested years without the results you want, that means something has to change. Check out Bill Adam info, or better yet fins a Bill Adam instructor.
High C should have less air and less pressure than low C. its all about feel and maintaining your lips buzzing, the leadpipe does this for us, to much Pressure stops vibration, which forces you to add more air, this is just a downward spiral that leads to being able to "reach" G's and C's instead of playing them. You can do it, but its time for a change. Good Luck
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The videos below have helped me quite a bit. I like his approach and have notice a huge difference in my playing and range.

https://www.youtube.com/@jazzmindwithtitocarrillo605/videos

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud, because I just don't know.

I do not mean to make light of any post above or to seem inappreciative of the good will and time put into it - and I might have missed something that would negate my post - but I see nothing to lead me to believe that the OP is a Reinhardt guy. So, I would think there is some background needed to understand these "Reinhardt-ish" concepts.

I've learned just enough of Reinhardt's concepts to know that, if I'm going to apply them, I would need to 1) know a whole lot more about then and 2) to only develop them, in person with a Reinhardt expert.

I'm not sure how much of Reinhardt's concepts the OP can safely apply unguided.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krell1960 wrote:
... High C should have less air and less pressure than low C. its all about feel and maintaining your lips buzzing, ...

---------------------
Perhaps high C requires less amount of air flow than low C, but I believe that the internal oral cavity air pressure is significantly more for high C than for low C.
I think it is typical to have more rim pressure for high C than for low.

If anyone thinks differently, I'd like to understand your reasoning and experience.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
krell1960 wrote:
... High C should have less air and less pressure than low C. its all about feel and maintaining your lips buzzing, ...

---------------------
Perhaps high C requires less amount of air flow than low C, but I believe that the internal oral cavity air pressure is significantly more for high C than for low C.
I think it is typical to have more rim pressure for high C than for low.

If anyone thinks differently, I'd like to understand your reasoning and experience.

i have no way of measuring how much mouthpiece pressure i am applying when i playing high c and above, perhaps it is more than low c, but what has helped learn to play notes up there is the feeling that it feels the same to me pressure wise as when i play low C, they just don't feel that different. i don't know anything about internal oral stuff. i play strictly by how it feels and its always my goal to make every note feel like second line g to my mouth. thats why i like bill adam routines, lots of the start on second line g and expand upward and downward. Arturo talks about this idea in a youtube interview with some one and i also remember another trumpet player talking about how notes should basically feel the same and explained it using chromatics. but anyway these are just ideas of my own that have helped, maybe the op can play around with them.

all the best,
tom
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krell1960 wrote:
... but what has helped learn to play notes up there is the feeling that it feels the same to me pressure wise as when i play low C, they just don't feel that different. ... i play strictly by how it feels and its always my goal to make every note feel like second line g to my mouth. ...

--------------------------------
I don't understand your description of every note feeling the same. Especially if you consciously strive to have every note have the feeling of second line G.

I imagine that you do have to make some physical changes moving from note to note and I'm curious about what 'guides' you to make the needed adjustment. Do you devote your attention solely on the pitch of the note, and the adjustments just happen - and you do not detect any change to the feel?

I understand the usefulness of that approach while playing within your 'good range', but what about when playing notes that aren't as secure?

I'm asking because this might be an important part of how various people are taught / learn / develop / etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how much micro-analysing becomes irrelevant by just spending a lot of time in the shed.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I do not mean to make light of any post above or to seem inappreciative of the good will and time put into it - and I might have missed something that would negate my post - but I see nothing to lead me to believe that the OP is a Reinhardt guy. So, I would think there is some background needed to understand these "Reinhardt-ish" concepts.

I'm guessing that your musing is directed at my post above.

Fair enough, I completely agree that the OP will be best served by taking some lessons with a good teacher. But based on cipetojidi's description I suspect that some of the advice he has gotten above is opposite of what he wants to be doing. A lot of otherwise excellent brass teachers would give the same advice because they mistakenly believe that how they play is best for everyone.

Furthermore, I don't believe that the basic embouchure types should be something that only "chop docs" discuss or make use of. It's no harder to understand than secondary dominants and key modulations. The only reason it's not more widely understood is because it's traditionally ignored (or outright dismissed).

Regarding making every note "feel the same," playing sensations are often unreliable, but they are an important type of feedback for players to develop the knack for playing. Depending on what the player is already doing and where he or she needs to go, it might be helpful to make every note feel similar. Then again, it might be better for the student to work on a different sensation.

It's generally established that louder and/or higher playing requires more mouthpiece pressure. What I find more often is that students don't use enough mouthpiece pressure, particularly for lower and/or softer playing. Making every note "feel" the same often means making the low register feel more similar to the upper than the other way around. And upstream embouchure players often find this to be an issue and need to work on bringing their upper register embouchure form into their normal playing range like this.

And to just reiterate, upstream players are prone to the smile embouchure. The symptoms of a smile embouchure are quite similar to the issues cipetojidi is complaining of, so that's where I would start personally. Then again, I haven't watched cipetojidi play, so this is just my best educated guess.

Dave
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Bill Adam advice. If you want free advice that’s a great spot.

(You need to learn that you are ACTIVATING THE STANDING WAVE)
That’s the air ALREADY INSIDE OF THE TRUMPET (nodes etc blablabla)

Learn the resistance without the tuning slide in.
It can be felt once you get a good tone on roughly f in the staff.
Then I’m sure you’ll find more things to do from there.
Translate that “feel” into playing with the horn back together.

THIS IS A MIND SHIFT FROM
BLOW AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AS HARD AS YOU CAN AS FAST AS YOU CAN

High range requires LESS of the {“bad” (not even going to mince words or derail on this) pressure} & less volume of air….(remember you are activating a standing wave and nodes) but faster air. Its a knack thing.

(Why do you think the best ones LOOK LIKE THEY ARE NOT WORKING?!)
They learned these things and then playing every day and practicing
actually improves endurance and the skill sets required to make music.

Another concept vs MASHING A HORN
(Many are able to use the inside rear portion of the lips)
Some call it aperture tunnel etc…

Has your mind been flipped upside down yet……? Its ok it will. Enjoy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: