• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to "Clock" Your Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: How to "Clock" Your Mouthpiece Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8nsmV9cYLU[/youtube]
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

I’ve been clocking my mouthpieces ever since I saw Bill Watrous do it, or at least perceived that I saw him do it, during a NYC brass conference concert years ago.

I now just line up the ‘11B4’ with the same spot on the leadpipe. Do I think it makes a difference? Absolutely not, but a little harmless bit of OCD can’t hurt. 🙂

I also clock my Bremner practice mute…🤫

Last edited by poketrum on Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poketrum wrote:
Do I think it makes a difference? Absolutely not. .

I hear a difference in his next-to-the-last example.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Selmer K-Modified Light Trumpet (for sale)
Benge 3X Cornet
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clocking is a very very real thing. It makes difference any time there is any kind of non-concentricity between the outer rim, inner rim, cup, or throat, and that is the situation with a LOT of mouthpieces.

Many people, possibly most players can benefit from having a different amount of bite on the top lip than the bottom lip. Especially very shallow mouthpiece players.

Sometimes if someone has a “magic” mouthpiece that they cant find anything as good, its because they have been “clocking” a certain way maybe subconsciously, and a “better”made piece that is very concentric can’t get then the same result. Usually this happens when a second operation is done like cutting the blank and then flipping it in the machine and cutting the cup without meticulously recentering it. By the way that has happened a LOT in the history of trumpet:) it does not take much to make a mouthpiece that should be “clocked”
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
TrumpetJoel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, not even once, have I performed a clocking test for a colleague or a student that resulted in a "meh, they're all the same/I can't hear it." There is ALWAYS a difference, and nearly always a preference. I check for bias by playing multiple excerpts, I switch the order, I perpetrate other sneakiness; I don't tell my listeners what I'm testing, I just make sure they don't look and say to them "I'm doing a quick equipment test, can you A/B something for me real quick?"

It is one of the very few trumpet-isms in which I'm confident enough in my result to use the word "always."

BTW definitely make sure you have someone out front. Sometimes the difference you hear behind the bell is the opposite of what the audience hears.

I can't speak to clocking my Sshhmute but I'll ask the Bremners next time we're in touch!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great reminder for me, I agree it’s not just placebo effect, and I tend to forget this. 🤦🏻

Brad
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was BS for many years until Wayne Tanabe walked me through it at the Yamaha shop in NY. Now I'm religious about it - I even do it with my mutes 😅

In fact just last night I was playing a gig and wasn't feeling right. I looked down and my mouthpiece was about 45º out of alignment. Moved it back and voila.

I'm not even fully convinced that there's a "right" or a "wrong" position for it - what's more important is the consistency of having it in the same spot every time.

johnlakejazz.com
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Reeves sleeve. Should I be concerned with clocking the mouthpiece and sleeve independently?
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use a Reeves sleeve. Should I be concerned with clocking the mouthpiece and sleeve independently?

My personal experience is the out-of-concentric potential variance is more pronounced at the rim/cup end of the mouthpiece. But if you are able to test both the sleeve and the rim position please let us know your observations.
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to "Clock" Your Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Branson wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8nsmV9cYLU[/youtube]

Ya learn something new every day. Curious to test.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried "clocking" and have found no difference.

Maybe Mark Curry's mouthpieces that he made for Flip's Wild Thing have greater consistency than mass produced mouthpieces or maybe Flip trued mouthpieces himself before sending them to customers, but I neither feel nor hear a difference when rotating the mouthpiece to a different position in the receiver.

I do not plan on buying a bunch of mass produced mouthpieces to re-test the "clocking" theory.

However, physics dictates that clocking would have an effect only if a mouthpiece got manufactured "untrue" to the axis of the lathe or if the brass itself has impurities that cause it to weigh more in one direction than another.

Brass casting constitutes an imperfect science, because brass results from the mixture of copper and zinc. So, weight distribution during casting could theoretically play a factor.
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Clocking mouthpiece... Reply with quote

I've been "clocking" my mouthpieces since I watched Jay Sollenberger do it after a Stan Kenton concert...
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG wrote:
I have tried "clocking" and have found no difference.

Maybe Mark Curry's mouthpieces that he made for Flip's Wild Thing have greater consistency than mass produced mouthpieces or maybe Flip trued mouthpieces himself before sending them to customers, but I neither feel nor hear a difference when rotating the mouthpiece to a different position in the receiver.

I do not plan on buying a bunch of mass produced mouthpieces to re-test the "clocking" theory.

However, physics dictates that clocking would have an effect only if a mouthpiece got manufactured "untrue" to the axis of the lathe or if the brass itself has impurities that cause it to weigh more in one direction than another.

Brass casting constitutes an imperfect science, because brass results from the mixture of copper and zinc. So, weight distribution during casting could theoretically play a factor.

Clocking can help. But not just because the mpc might be "off" a little. I've measured receivers and have never found one that was exactly "true". So, the area in the gap is just irregular enough to make a difference.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I use a Reeves sleeve. ...

-------------------
don't over analyze it !
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore wrote:
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: