• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece help for student range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breosbourn13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: mouthpiece help for student range Reply with quote

Hello. I have a student who has very full lips and she was doing ok on developing her lead chops....and then she got braces in December.

Suggestions on how a mouthpiece I can use to help her with this? And I am not one of those teachers that thinks anyone can be fine on any mouthpiece if they have solid control of air and buzz. She's a kid and she is learning how to develop and everyone's face is unique and needs the right fit just like you need the right fit of shoes.

Thank you in advance.
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found in my 38 years of private teaching that many of my students with braces benefit when switching to a larger diameter, like from a 7C to a 5c or a 3c. It usually puts the rim on a more comfortable spot than before. However, like you said, everyone is different.
The main thing about playing with braces is that the student has to learn to play with less pressure and rely more on the proper delivery of the air.

Barry
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly Pro - under $30. Large but not too large rim ID - not too much undercut - cup gives some zing to the sound. A forgiving rim. Speaks quickly. It's inexpensive and plastic - you could actually take a file to it and custom shape the rim. (I've turned Kellys into DIY Wedges and Neill Sanders rims. It's a pain - I don't recommend it - but it can be done.)

Bach 3CW - not the 3C - totally different mouthpiece. The 3CW has a forgiving rim - not much undercut and a lot of zing to the sound. If you look at a scan you would think it to be a mellow cornet mouthiece. It is not. I think the Kelly Pro must have been inspired by this mpc.

After that - the Marcinkiewicz 300 series mouthpieces - they feel larger than a Bach 3C but smaller than the 3CW. Nice rim - you might start with the 308.

While rim shape helps , you also need a mouthpiece that speaks quickly with zing to encourage less pressure.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece help for student range Reply with quote

breosbourn13 wrote:
... was doing ok on developing her lead chops....and then she got braces in December. ...

---------------------------------
Perhaps rethink the suitability for 'lead chops'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with the Kellys, too. Need a different size/model and you can afford to experiment. I would take a look at the Screamer. too, if you're looking for a lead mpc. (although for a kid, I personally do not go for shallow mouthpieces),

Take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqh5ROtQRgBTW,

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: