• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where to get a horn modified?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach_314

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Where to get a horn modified? Reply with quote

Apologies if some of these questions seem obvious, but horn mods are one of the areas I'm least knowledgeable about. I have a Yamaha 6810 piccolo trumpet that I absolutely love, but find intonation frustrating without the ability to move my slides. I'm curious about how possible it is to have the third slide modified to move freely and have a ring installed. It currently is not an over/under configuration, so I don't know how much that affects things. It is also not perfectly in line, and sits at a very slight angle off the valve block. If these modifications are possible, does anyone know who could perform them? Thanks!

Yamaha First Gen New York Bb
Yamaha Third Gen Chicago C
Yamaha Ytr-6810 Piccolo
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask:

J. Landress Brass
https://www.jlandressbrass.com/

Charlie's (Melk) Brass Works
http://charliesbrassworks.com/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a retired engineer, my favorite saying to my boss was, "If you wanna pay for it, we can do it!" But I would find a trusted tech to work on your baby. It wouldn't be necessary to reverse the tubes, since the ring would be attached to the ferrule in n the end of the slide. Mainly just align the tubes, lap them, and attach a ring like the one on my Stomvi Elite Pic, or my old Kanstul 1520.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Instrument Repair in Oakland will give you excellent service and a reasonable price.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
larsken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Larson BrassWerks Reply with quote

www.brasswerks.com I have some time in September... We seemed to have fallen off the the first hundred pages or so of google lol
Thx
Ken
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I inquired a couple of years ago, Toni Possegger told me that anyone can copy his 3rd-4th slide trigger system...

https://www.musik-possegger.at/Piccolo-Trumpet/Perinet-Piccolo/
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to sell what you have a get Brent Peters to make you a Pujé Pique (piccolo trumpet)! Google it to see pique-tures. You can tune down any note on the horn with the left thumb-actuated pushrod ("trigger") system to the main tuning slide. Lots of options. Big sound, being a 3-valver...plays very well in tune without the use of the main trigger, btw.
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get a horn modified? Reply with quote

Zach_314 wrote:
Apologies if some of these questions seem obvious, but horn mods are one of the areas I'm least knowledgeable about. I have a Yamaha 6810 piccolo trumpet that I absolutely love, but find intonation frustrating without the ability to move my slides. I'm curious about how possible it is to have the third slide modified to move freely and have a ring installed. It currently is not an over/under configuration, so I don't know how much that affects things. It is also not perfectly in line and sits at a very slight angle off the valve block. If these modifications are possible, does anyone know who could perform them? Thanks!

I thought I would jump on here and add myself to the list of available repair techs who would be happy to assist

Adding a ring to the 3rd slide should be no problem. Whether you would like it positioned on the top, bottom, or even at the front of the crook (like older Selmers and others), that would be fairly easy to fabricate and fit onto your YTR-6810 3rd slide.

As another option, and I refer now to what dstpt mentioned here about Anton Possegger's dual 3rd-4th slide trigger assembly, you can have a trigger assembly installed to actuate your 3rd slide. For reference, here are some pics of what I did for my Bájoc Bb/A piccolo prototype (this does have a dual 3rd-4th trigger assembly installed, with adjustable 4th):

Feel free to send me a PM or reach out to me on my contact page (https://bajocmusic.com/connect/) if you are interested or have any questions. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jacob

I am driven to work generously in the service of others' musical creativity.
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a recommendation for Jake's work at Bajoc Music, he just finished an orchestral Eb bell for my E3L which included fabricating the outer sleeve that attaches to the bell and slides over the tube exiting the 1st valve. He's also done some general repair work on my horns and everything he's done has been fantastic!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from? Most of the great names in the USA are shared frequently on these forums...but for other parts of the world, not so much.

Is there something like say, a sticky or something that lists skilled technicians both in the USA and around world? If not, should we ask the moderators to make such a thread?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered this online today...

https://www.lastrowmusic.com/brass-repair-directory/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: