• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback Mouthpiece Selection

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see there are apparently clones of the Bach mouthpieces at about 1/10 the cost of the Bach. Are they identical except for the brand name, or in some way of lesser quality?

The first thing to note is that many, many manufacturers have adopted Bach's numbering and lettering, and even the sequencing. But, often, they do not use the same dimensions as Bach. So, a 4C from one manufacturer might be equivalent to a Bach 7D or something like that. If you have a Bach 5C, I would try a Bach 3C and a Bach 7C and leave it at that for now.

Second, just because it doesn't say "Bach" doesn't mean it won't work for you (and vice versa).

Third, Bach adheres to high manufacturing standards. The plating on their mouthpieces generally lasts a long time. [Same with Schilke, Pickett, Stork, Yamaha, Reeves, Warburton, Hammond, Frost, Black....] For best results, stick with a reputable manufacturer.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
I see there are apparently clones of the Bach mouthpieces at about 1/10 the cost of the Bach. Are they identical except for the brand name, or in some way of lesser quality?

----------------------------------
The really inexpensive mouthpieces shouldn't be thought of as being 'clones' of Bach - they do use similar numbering, but who knows if the dimensions are similar? There's also a question about the quality of the fit / finish / and silver plating.

And I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the usefulness of a real Bach based on the results from an off-brand with similar name or specifications.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodwind Brasswind says they have a 45 day return policy on trumpet mouthpieces, so you can try something and return it if you don't like it.

I can see how they (and other vendors) likely end up selling more units this way, but do they sell the returned item new after cleaning it?
It's the same policy for large vendors of telescope eyepieces btw- as long as the returned item is in new condition.
MLGaudet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation 9 months ago. In HS and college I used a Schilke 14A4A exclusively, except for drum corps which I used a Bach 3C. When I started back up I went with the Schilke. Both my teacher and myself thought my tone was off. Tried the 3C and was not much better. He lent me a Bach 1 1/2C and I took to it right away. So I bought my own. It works well in the community band I am in. The Schilke I'll try again maybe for small Jazz ensembles or lead trumpet parts.
Bach 1.5C
Schilke 14A4A
Eastrock 3C
Monosect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m yet another in this situation - in the before times I used a Bobby Shew 2, but have discovered that the Bach 1 1/4C I played before that is now suiting me better. The teenage switch was to a piece more suited for big band lead, whereas now I’m expecting to play small group. I’m not getting any range benefit from the Shew, it feels tight, especially with a practise mute which is unavoidable living in a terraced house. It’s also too bright and thinner in the low range. Currently pondering where to go for a step darker, maybe to Donat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: