• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double Tonguing Not Clear

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerdpants19

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Double Tonguing Not Clear Reply with quote

Student trying to learn to double tongue:
I can say the syllables "tu-ku" at rapid pace without the mouthpiece.
With the mouthpiece I can articulate clearly two syllables at slow tempos while buzzing. But at any relevant speed, the second articulation using the "ku" syllable is not audible. The result is not a proper articulation, but a fluctuation in tone during the "ku". How can I make my "ku" articulation clear enough that it sounds how it is supposed to sound? (Nearly the same as "tu"

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend practicing isolated Ku by itself a lot. On the trumpet, not just buzzing the mouthpiece. Ku, rest, Ku, rest, etc. for quite a while until you get the Ku to speak. Then alternate Tu and Ku slowly. Then practice the triple tonguing exercises in Arban starting very slow and gradually increasing tempo.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions about 'where' in the mouth the KU feeling should occur?
To me, TU feels very forward and with tip of tongue and lips and back of the front teeth.

Is KU a downward arch of the tongue, more towards the rear of the tongue, etc. -- I've never got the hang of it.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. When learning double tonguing, there's no rush to get fast. Go slower than you think you need to go for longer than you think you need. The first goal is to make them sound the same. No one should be able to hear a difference or tell which syllable you're using.

2. Isolate the K sound -- you've practiced the T sound your entire playing life, spend lots of time with the K. Practice K alone and all sorts of other patterns (KTKT, KKTT, KKKT, etc.); try accenting different notes -- particularly the Ks. Come up with your own patterns. This can be tedious and frustrating work, so try to make it a creative and interesting process.

3. Start with easy notes -- usually in the middle/upper part of the staff -- and then expand out in terms of range.

4. I like to use the leadpipe to teach the K sound. Go back and forth between repeating T and then repeating K, playing a very resonant note around first space F on the leadpipe without the side. Try to make the T and K sound the same. You can really hear the differences between the syllables this way. Go, TTTT T; KKKK K; and repeat until they're even. Then try the same thing on the horn.

5. Once things are under control in terms of ease and sound, then and only then SLOWLY speed up. Start slower than you think you need to go -- like half the speed you think is slow. Slowly increase the tempo (I like to go up no more than 4 bpm) only when one tempo sounds good. Always start your day at the absurdly slow tempo before slowly speeding up. Always use a metronome. Arban is fine, so is Clarke, or anything else really.

6. Experiment with different mental models for the articulation -- Ku, Ka, Gu, Ga. Observe what they do.

7. A relatively forward K sound (rather than back in the throat) will probably work better.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tu-ku works well for most people with practice, but every one's oral cavity slightly different.

Even within different parts of one's range, changing syllables can help due to the necessity of a particular tongue position required for the notes played.

Try: Ta-ka, Du-gu, Tu-gu, Da-ka, et cetera.

Main thing: just find something that works with the part you must perform.

As trumpet players, we need to adapt when the most common and reliable methods fail us. Take a minute to introspectively examine what you just did that did not work, think about what you need to do in the most objective way possible, examine the possible variables, and adjust those variables.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people have good advice on how to work it up. I am going to share something that helped me with articulation that I was very late to realize: articulation is temporarily sealing the air off from flowing through the lips.

Now, it sounds basic, but when you are working on your "ku" you are, in part, working on the speed and quality of the seal.

I know that the following is a slightly dangerous experiment, but you can see that articulation is this phenomenon by playing a long tone, and then temporarily sealing it with your "T" without changing anything else. When you seal it, you shouldn't really still be "blowing," it should feel like all of a sudden you're now holding your breath (not turning red) easy and at equilibrium. You can then start a note by releasing the seal. It should start very easily. After you get the hang of that you can try and achieve that same thing with your "K."

This should highlight some valuable insights for your articulation across the board. If you can really do it well (articulate properly), it will be incredibly beneficial for your trumpet playing.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can talk all day about how to learn to multiple tongue and clean it up. Talk is just that - talk.

The way to get better at multiple tonguing is to work on it. A LOT.

During my first enlistment as a military bandsman in my early 20s, I'd do entire practices where I would only work on one area of technique, typically split into 3 separate areas:

1. Articulation
2. Long tones/sound/breath control
3. Flexibilities

Sometimes I'd split articulation into separate things too - sometimes I'd just work on single tonguing - speed, crispness, control. Everything from the lightest attacks and legato to sharp and crisp staccato. Up and down scale patterns and other exercises - getting the coordination between the tongue and fingers is important too. Some days all I would work would be double tonguing or triple tonguing - again, legato to staccato, and I'd work scale patterns so that I could multiple tongue cleanly through passages.

Once you take the time to work on it in a very focused way, you'll start to figure out the little adjustments that are going to clean it up.

Ultimately there's no secret tip, trick or other bits of wisdom that's going to fix it. It's going to be you spending the time to focus and work in the practice room, and you'll have to have the patience to keep diligently working on it even if it doesn't start to improve right away.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most articulation problems are a result of poor delivery of the air
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play it as if it was a long tone interrupted by the tongue, but with air constantly flowing.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Play it as if it was a long tone interrupted by the tongue, but with air constantly flowing.

Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes more air when tonguing but many folk "back off". Doesn't work that way for me. The tongue should be like a finger flicking through a stream of water (air), not like your hand turning on and off the faucet.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
It takes more air when tonguing but many folk "back off". Doesn't work that way for me. The tongue should be like a finger flicking through a stream of water (air), not like your hand turning on and off the faucet.

I'll agree that air issues can cause articulation issues, but I still submit that talk is cheap - one can't really make the fine tuned adjustments until they put in the time behind the horn IN THE PRACTICE ROOM.

What exactly does "poor delivery of the air" or "it takes more air" mean? It certainly doesn't mean to blow harder. What's more important, good focus or "more air?" Does it mean to breathe deeper? More support from the diaphragm? Actually push harder?

I've said over and over on this board for nearly 20 years that working on articulation is a good way to improve a lot of things about playing because in order to articulate clearly and cleanly, the air has to be moving well, and there has to be a balance between of airflow and compression that leads to chops focus.

nerdpants19 - I'll stick to my suggestion. If you want to improve your multiple tonguing, your best bet is to get in the practice room and get to work. Keep fundamentals in mind - don't use too much mouthpiece pressure, breathe and support properly, etc, but ultimately you'll have to work on it a lot to improve and refine it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Billy B wrote:

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

I'll agree that air issues can cause articulation issues, but I still submit that talk is cheap - one can't really make the fine tuned adjustments until they put in the time behind the horn IN THE PRACTICE ROOM.

What exactly does "poor delivery of the air" or "it takes more air" mean? It certainly doesn't mean to blow harder. What's more important, good focus or "more air?" Does it mean to breathe deeper? More support from the diaphragm? Actually push harder?

I've said over and over on this board for nearly 20 years that working on articulation is a good way to improve a lot of things about playing because in order to articulate clearly and cleanly, the air has to be moving well, and there has to be a balance between of airflow and compression that leads to chops focus.

nerdpants19 - I'll stick to my suggestion. If you want to improve your multiple tonguing, your best bet is to get in the practice room and get to work. Keep fundamentals in mind - don't use too much mouthpiece pressure, breathe and support properly, etc, but ultimately you'll have to work on it a lot to improve and refine it.

Did not, and would never, argue that practice is not important. Just suggesting to make sure you are keeping up the airflow. I have had students in the past severely back off the air thinking it would make tonguing easier, softer, whatever so am sensitive to that issue while they practice.

And talk is cheap, of course, in fact free on the 'net, so feel free to ignore mine.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
nerdpants19 - I'll stick to my suggestion. If you want to improve your multiple tonguing, your best bet is to get in the practice room and get to work.
Patrick, what makes you think nerdpants19 doesn't spend time practicing?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
trickg wrote:
nerdpants19 - I'll stick to my suggestion. If you want to improve your multiple tonguing, your best bet is to get in the practice room and get to work.
Patrick, what makes you think nerdpants19 doesn't spend time practicing?

I do think they spend time practicing. However, I also believe that many students are looking for some kind of "special sauce" that's going to turn on the lightbulb or make things click, which seems to be what inspired this person to create this thread in the first place.

There are a lot of different ways people spend time in the practice room, and it isn't always productive.

I've gone back and found one of the times I posted something I experienced at a percussion clinic, and I'll share it again here by quoting it:

Quote:
There's a story that I've shared that I originally heard at a percussion clinic.

The clinician, a collegiate percussion instructor, was recounting when he first entered college as a percussion music major. He approached his instructor with the question: how do I improve my snare roll?

What he was looking for was some sage words of advice - some secret trick that would turn on the lightbulb or open his eyes on how to do really good snare drum rolls.

What his instructor said? "If you want to improve your roll, then roll - 10 minutes a day, every day."

He further went on to explain that in general the student is responsible in part for teaching themselves. A teacher can assign drills or studies, but the student needs to put in the focused work to refine their efforts, and there are no shortcuts - sometimes it's just tons of repetition, really focusing in on the minutiae - how the tip of the tongue is hitting on the teeth, how the air is flowing in conjunction with the back "K" tongue for multiple tonguing, mastering the coordination between fingers and tongue so that tonguing through fast passages remains clean, doing long soft long tones to really get the chops to focus so that you have a robust sound. Etc.

How often does a younger or newer student of the instrument work really hard in a very focused way to refine one single aspect of their technique? I'd submit that oftentimes technique gets refined in a more generalized way - a teacher will assign studies that have various technical aspects in kind of a moving van approach: throw everything in the van and then drive it to the destination to be "unpacked" (performance) later.

This is especially true in formative years when a student is just starting on the instrument. Often times technique gets ignored altogether, and especially articulation when it comes to initial attacks and cleanliness through moving lines.

I never once made any kind of suggestion that nerdpants19 didn't spend time practicing. My suggestion to nerdpants19 was to focus on just one thing as part of that practice - really work that one thing, and really pay attention to what's going on between themself and the trumpet as a means to make the little adjustments in airflow, tongue position, where the tip is striking, how it's striking, how the back of the tongue is striking, where it's striking, etc, to refine the technique.
- ACB Doubler

trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My posts above are a bit long - apologies for that.

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that no matter what instructor a student has or what they tell or assign that student, it's up to the student to put in the work to figure out if what the teacher is telling them is going to help them or not, and as often as not it's the student who winds up figuring things out. An instructor can help guide, but the student has to be the one to put in the focused work to improve, and a lot of times, that's all it is - just a lot of work.
- ACB Doubler

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using "ti-ki", as in "ticket" without the ending "t". I learned to double-tongue off horn riding my bike around on a long paper route back in the late 1960s. Wanted to play the 3rd mvt of Hummel (for some reason that now escapes me) and wanted to play faster than I could single-tongue it.

I believe the distance the tongue moves in this syllable is shorter that with "tu-ku" and we're using a more natural word to work from. In te end, however, the flow of wind is the most important component as others have chimed in above.

For example: when teaching Goedeckie "Concert Etude" to a new student I usually start by having them play the double-tongued lines as long, slurred eighth notes in the same pulse tempo before we approach them as sixteenths (2 per eighth). It establishes the melodic line in their ear, establishes the interval mechanics/technique and embouchure set as well. Once this is attained and the student is creating a decent flow on what is not really a difficult passage, adding the duples is often more easy.

One last observation: Some students envision their tongue as actually making a sound during articulation, just as some actually try to use an audible "buzz" while playing. In my "book", the tongue is silent, it is merely a valve that opens and closes to create sound from the energized wind.
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the articulations (for low range) are wrong.

When you check the Arban's book it's the following:

Tee Kee Tee Kee or Ta Ka Ta Ka for double tongueing.

Tee Tee Kee Tee Tee Kee or Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka for triple tongueing.

When you go Tu Ku, Te Ke or Ti Ki you are in the extreme upper register or on a pivot aperture; then you tongue arch goes more from Ah to Uh and then to Eeh or Eh.

The biggest challenge for triple and double tongueing is being able to do it across the entire modern range of four octaves. You can also use the suggested sillables at the beginning of this thread but you'll miss the tongue arch in the registers and the compressions.

For jazz you also have the Doo Dle Doo Dle Doo Dle in expressive combinations with different sillables.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbievantetering wrote:
No, the articulations (for low range) are wrong.

When you check the Arban's book it's the following:

Tee Kee Tee Kee or Ta Ka Ta Ka for double tongueing.

Tee Tee Kee Tee Tee Kee or Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka for triple tongueing.

When you go Tu Ku, Te Ke or Ti Ki you are in the extreme upper register or on a pivot aperture; then you tongue arch goes more from Ah to Uh and then to Eeh or Eh.

The biggest challenge for triple and double tongueing is being able to do it across the entire modern range of four octaves. You can also use the suggested sillables at the beginning of this thread but you'll miss the tongue arch in the registers and the compressions.

For jazz you also have the Doo Dle Doo Dle Doo Dle in expressive combinations with different sillables.

That is what the Arban's book says, but I got more traction when I was developing my double tonguing by using the syllables "Da Ga." That winds up being a more of a legato articulation, but it helped to keep the air moving, which is important to developing the technique. Later, once that became more consistent I was able to sharpen the attacks, but once I got it going I wasn't really thinking about the syllables specifically - just the sound I was trying to achieve.

That's where the time in the practice room comes in because that's where I learned to make the minor adjustments that created the shifts in the attacks, and that will take you from being able to multiple tongue in both the lower register and upper register.
- ACB Doubler

kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can also use the suggested sillables at the beginning of this thread but you'll miss the tongue arch in the registers and the compressions.

Exactly what are you referring to by "the compressions"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: