• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting gigs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexBazinet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Getting gigs Reply with quote

I am a highschool trumpet player with a relatively small jazz combo. We've been rehearsing regularly and played in student organized and school sponsored concerts ,but finding gigs outside of that has been really hard individually I've been able to go to a couple of jam sessions and sit in with bands but getting a gig for my whole group has been really hard.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't this address that?
link

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
AlexBazinet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kehaulani that's a weird coincidence this is my first time on the trumpet herald
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting gigs Reply with quote

AlexBazinet wrote:
I am a highschool trumpet player with a relatively small jazz combo. We've been rehearsing regularly and played in student organized and school sponsored concerts ,but finding gigs outside of that has been really hard individually I've been able to go to a couple of jam sessions and sit in with bands but getting a gig for my whole group has been really hard.

I play trumpet in a jazz trio and piano in a piano-bass duo. I play about 50 gigs a year with these groups.

For a high school band, just starting out and looking for gigs, here are a few suggestions.

Are there any farmers markets close by? Some markets are always looking for music, in part because they don't pay much. But for a group like yours, it might be a good way to get the word out and pick up some gigs. I regularly pick up gigs from people seeing us perform at a local farmers market.

Print up some business card ($20 on Vista Print). Make a demo and put it on YouTube (and put the link on your business cards). Go around to the farmers markets in your area, talk to the organizers, and see if they're looking for music. When you get gigs, put out the tip jar and the business cards.

Another option are wineries. This is a growing industry in Maryland, and they like to have small jazz groups or singer-songwriter type bands perform. Search for the wineries in your area, drive out to each of them, talk to the owners, and given them your business card.

Another option are nursing homes. They are ALWAYS looking for entertainment. Some pay very well. Others not so much. And just like above, make a list of the nursing homes in your area. Call them up, talk to the entertainment coordinators, ask them to hire you.

You get the idea.

I've avoided talking about bars and restaurants, which might be hard to break into as a high school group.

Best of luck,
Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexBazinet wrote:
@kehaulani that's a weird coincidence this is my first time on the trumpet herald

Maybe try collaborating then with the other Alex Baz from Massachusetts that posted the same thing then a month ago.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexBazinet wrote:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions here, just be upfront and honest, you’re much more likely to get positive, helpful and cooperative answers.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Alex Baz from Massachusetts and Alex Bazinet from Massachusetts are different? What a coincidence.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Didn't this address that?

Maybe. But maybe not. The first post asked about getting gigs as a trumpet player, and the OP did go to some jam sessions, as was suggested. This second post is about getting gigs for his band.

I realize most of us on TH are old farts, myself included. And I realize things were different when we were in high school, and that we had to "walk to school uphill both ways". The OP is a high school trumpet player, with little information to go on, and is just looking for some advice.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a little curious why he changes his Poster name.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: