• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet to Trumpet Mouthpiece Adapters?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Cornet to Trumpet Mouthpiece Adapters? Reply with quote

Two quick questions about cornet to trumpet mouthpiece adapters:

* Is there any disadvantage to using an adapter?

* Should adapters be from the same mouthpiece manufacturer as the mouthpiece?

I,e, does it make any difference, if you have, say, a Curry cornet mouthpiece and marry it up with a Reeves adapter or should you stick to Curry mpc,/Curry adapter combination?

Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the cornet/trumpet adapters you will find at online music stores or eBay will play too flat and give you screwy gaps. So, if you are going to use one you should probably stick to Reeves or GR. (I didn't know that Curry sold one.)

Remember - most of these adapters just give you a "step" backbore where the ID of the cornet backbore dumps abruptly into the adapter ID that is the diameter of the OD diameter of the cornet backbore. (I hope I explained that correctly.) With this type of adapter, a Bach cornet mpc with a #10 backbore will not sound and play like a Bach trumpet mpc with a #10 backbore. You might like it but it will not be the same.

You might talk to a mouthpiece maker about a custom adapter for the brands that you use. That could take care of the length, gap, and perhaps adapter backbore shape.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Andy. That really gives me what I need to know.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Andy has said, even if the extra step in the backbore was eliminated (adapter would have to be counterbored, matching a single mouthpiece only) this would not resolve the issue of design mismatch between the original, shorter backbore of the cornet mouthpiece and the lengthened backbore with the adapter in place.

In other words, a cornet to trumpet mouthpiece adapter is not a useful item for playing. Instead, I have used it for attaching a flexible water hose to flush the horn. The hose, when so attached, would not mar the edge of the receiver.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on the TH awhile back that Bunny Berigan played a cornet mouthpiece with a trumpet adapter.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe GR has 3 options to their cornet to trumpet adapters. I purchased the middle (#2) size. I’ve got a Curry VC (Vintage Cornet) mouthpiece that I really like, and occasionally use it on trumpets.

I’ve used the adapter several times. It’s not perfect, but frankly it’s pretty good; I’m pleasantly surprised with it. Not quite as smooth as a Reeves sleeve, but along that line. I’m impressed with GR overall, they do a nice job with this adapter. Intonation may be off slightly, but not much. I can imagine that a bad cornet to trumpet adapter could be a pain. My GR is good enough that I’ll probably pick up a flugel to trumpet adapter - for those rare flugel mouthpieces that I really like and would like to try on trumpet.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
I’ve got a Curry VC (Vintage Cornet) mouthpiece that I really like, and occasionally use it on trumpets.

Actually, Jonathan, that's why I'm asking - to uae my VC on a trumpet.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got only a little experience with them. I used a cheap aluminum adapter once and more recently, a brass one made by Breslmair and the quality difference between them is noticeably in favor of the Breslmair one.

For context, I'm currently using a cornet-to-trumpet adapter with my Olds Super cornet that has a trumpet receiver, to be able to also play it more like a cornet (in addition to either using a regular trumpet mouthpiece, or a deep-V one with a short trumpet shank). Since I have modular mouthpieces I've been able to compare the same cup with both a cornet shank/adapter and a short trumpet shank (so the setups are virtually identical, except for the backbore). In short, I prefer the cornet/adapter as it seems to make the horn respond/resonate better, and it feels more balanced. Definitely more cornet-like.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I splurged on a Bob Reeves cornet to trumpet adapter because I really like my new cornet mouthpiece. I had it in mind for my pocket trumpets and Kanstul cornet w/trumpet receiver but it works great on all of my horns. Sound, intonation, range, etc...everything is spot on. It's like having a bunch of new cornets. I chose the Reeves because it got all five star ratings while the other cheaper ones got panned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: