• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago Custom Model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone played this horn. If so, can you tell me what you think of it?

Custom Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
Olds Super (LA)

[ This Message was edited by: MaynardProdigy on 2004-01-22 17:44 ]
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one. I didn't like it much. I prefer lighter trumpets. It is a very heavy trumpet. It did produce a beautiful tone. Intonation was ok. If I remember correctly it is a .470 bore.

camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes I've played a few at Andy's factory over the summer. In my opinion they are excellent trumpets.

Yes they're heavy and yes they need a fairly strong player to get them warm and working. The reward is a warm, dark, velvety sound and if that's what you want that's what you get...particularly with the one on the right as it looks as if it's got a red brass bell (in my opinion that may be a little too much). The valves are superb and I know some guys complain about intonation problems but personally I've never had an issue. I find I dont even need to use the valve slides!! It is probably a 470 bore but some of the newer ones are 460 bore, they have 460 on the lead pipe. Bear in mind though that although it's 470 bore the weight gives you the impression that the horns a buit tighter.

The down side is that the sound is so distinctive that I don't think they blend very well so if section playing is your thing the Custom probably isn't for you. Playing in a small jazz combo and it's perfect. I chose the Standard because of this reason as it was more useable (for me) but still had the characteristic sound.

If you get the chance try one. Peoples responses are usually extreme..they either love them or hate them. Both responses are probably valid.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: