• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Am I going to Jazz Hell?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

If I don't really care to listen to Louis Armstrong am I going to Jazz Hell? I really like more contemporary jazz. Terrell Stafford, Terance Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis. I like Miles' music but I don't really care for the Fusion stuff.I like Dizzy but I don't ever see myself being able to play BeBop (fast)!

Anyway, how horrible am I?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to jazz hell? If you have to ask, the answer is probably yes.

More seriously, not every likes everyone. As trumpet players and musicians, you respect their abilities, creativity, and accomplishments. But we all have our own personal preferences.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and it's good you are honest about your taste. However, keep an open mind and know that you will change and grow. I used to not dig a lot of players. Who and what I like has gone through many iterations. I suspect at some point you will go on a Pops kick...
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TrumpetMD
weeeeve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I might add is- it's fine to not really dig Louis Armstrong, but hopefully you can learn to appreciate him. Learn to appreciate how he influenced the trumpet going forward; the beautiful way he could interpret a melody (both playing and singing); the joy in his playing. I think the more you can listen to and appreciate the history of jazz and of the trumpet, the more you will be able to enjoy all that it has to offer, past, present, and future.

Steven

Bach Strad Model 72
Holton Firebird

My music: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5vmwM185PWOnMCC1I8Cwjr
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just starting. Start where your passion is. Later you can widen your awareness and knowledge. It will help you but you're not tied down to it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Armstrong is an important element to jazz, including the contemporary artists you mentioned. Those artists understand the significance and influence Louis has on the lineage of jazz trumpet. I would recommend that give him more listening time to understand his influence and contribution.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say listen extensively before giving an opinion about a player. I've always said I don't like Miles. I made myself listen to a lot of his material and I still don't favor that style, but at least I can point to specific reasons. The reasons are not his playing, but the style of that period in jazz.

I was recently trapped on a cruise ship without my usual sources of listening material. I did have The Essential Louis Armstrong on my phone. I started working through all the recordings and found it fascinating to hear his progression over time. I appreciate his work so much more now.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people just never really connect on a personal plan even if they respect and maybe even appreciate each other. The same can be said about music. One might still appreciate it from an analytical point of view, but if the connections aren't there, there's no "Wow!". However, in both cases, it can change, suddenly or very slowly, due to personal change, changes in society, changes in knowledge and the list goes on.

Music is emotions and emotions change with time. Louis Armstrong, he's such a force in his own way. There's so much pure joy in his music whatever the theme is and there might be many decades in a life when that kind of joy just don't touch a person. One might feel that it's too much, that it's just nothing (where's the darkness?) etc. but that day when one is at the same page, then it's incredible, like nothing else. That may happen suddenly, slowly or never.

Sometimes we never connect, sometimes we do.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of players that are important in the history of the music that I don't relate to musically. That's a matter of taste and your personal taste (and choosing your own role models) is how one develops a personal voice. Armstrong is interesting to me as he relates to the anthropology of the jazz tradition. I also have learned his music as a prerequisite job skill for freelance jazz/commercial work. But I don't find his music that interesting as a model to emulate.

See you in hell!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase Curtis Mayfield, if there's a jazz hell below, we're all going to go!

My secret shame is that I'm also in the camp of not being a Louis Armstrong fan. As somebody else noted, it's the style and era I'm not a fan of, not the musician. I do recognize Louis's place in the jazz pantheon. Whenever I hear Louis on the radio (yes, I still listen to radio!), I make a point to listen to see if he grabs me. After 50+ years, he hasn't yet.

I have no fight with those who, for example, don't care for Miles' electric Stuff - I happen to like all of Miles's music - there are few of us who truly like everything. For those of us who have personal dislikes, we'll just be in different corners of jazz hell!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Harry James and Ray Anthony, Bix Beiderbecke. But it was listening to Pops' St. James Infirmary late one night when I was supposed to be sleeping, that made my blood curl. And I really appreciated just how deep jazz could be.

Preferences? Bix more than Pops. Chet more that Wynton. Coltrane more than Getz. So what? You can learn a great deal from each of them.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago, maybe around 1990 or so, I was in a master class that Wynton was presenting. He said that his goal as a player was to create an identity so unique that you knew it was him from the first note. Then he said "you know, like Pops whether he's singing or playing".
I kind of scoffed at that as I believed Wynton to be a superior player. This turned out to be the beginning of my journey to understand Pops better. It's been a fun journey. Today, I'm older, wiser, and a huge Pops fan.
As one person said, perhaps you will go on your own binge at some point and become more of a fan. Or, maybe not, we all have a right to like (or not) any player.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tastes change over time as understanding increases. When I was a teenager I heard Chase and was astounded because I didn't know trumpets could do that, having started as a Herb Alpert fan in elementary school. So I read that Bill Chase played with Woody Herman. My dad had some Woody Herman records from the 40s and 50s so I listened to those and learned stuff. I worked my way back through jazz trumpet history back to Louis and then forward again. In my early college years I couldn't comprehend bebop, and only listened to Dizzy in small doses. Then a friend turned me on to Clifford Brown and I was hooked. I have my favorites, but I try to listen to all of them at least a few times to grasp what they're doing. As I studied more and listened more I finally began to understand and appreciate Dizzy. Diz, Roy Eldridge, Clark Terry, Clifford, Miles, Woody Shaw, are included in my current library along with disproportionate amounts of Doc, Maynard, and Chase. I love them all, some more than others.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
It depends...do you prefer Kenny G more than Coltrane??

Seriously, historically speaking Louis is required listening- but can I all day long? No...
Chet or Clifford, however is a different story!

Peace,
Andy
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always room in Jazz purgatory.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that he's too important to ignore. He essentially invented modern popular music, jazz, bebop (yep, listen to the opening cadenza of West End Blues and tell me otherwise), modern scat. He possessed an upper register that virtually no one else had, a sweet sound that wasn't too brassy, and he was simply made of music. Everything was about melody.

One of the finest jazz players of the modern era, Lew Soloff, exclaimed that Louis was THE deal and he advised me to listen to him as often as possible, started with the Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings. They are incredible, and you hear modern licks in much of what he does. Give him a chance with these recordings.

ed
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Louis and a stupid kid Reply with quote

I was on the Sam Donahue led Tommy Dorsey band during an English tour in 1963. A month previously I was there with Stan Kenton playing mellophonium which were featured. I was the lead player and soloist and got a bit of recognition in the magazine Melody Maker. When there again the next month I was asked to do a four person blindfold test also with Melody Maker. The four of us included Larry O'Brien, Tommy Check, Charlie Shavers and myself. They played a really good British dixieland band recording and I was stupid enough to say "nothing makes me sicker than the flu as dixieland". Charlie looked at me and said, "the best airplane ever built was the Wright Brothers plane". Like I said, stupid kid.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
I believe that he's too important to ignore.

+1

I seem to recall reading that, according to the major critics and musicologists who have a jazz focus, Louis Armstrong brought jazz further along its evolutionary path than anyone.

Anyone.

If he didn't know about this while he was alive, I hope he knows it now from on high in jazz heaven.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Am I going to Jazz Hell? Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
If I don't really care to listen to Louis Armstrong am I going to Jazz Hell? I really like more contemporary jazz. Terrell Stafford, Terance Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis. I like Miles' music but I don't really care for the Fusion stuff.I like Dizzy but I don't ever see myself being able to play BeBop (fast)!

Uh, all of the *contemporary* players you listed are around 60 years old. There's a full generation and a half of more contemporary players (and Wynton is famously traditionalist as a jazz player anyhow). I'm just saying.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: