• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting gigs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexBazinet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Getting gigs Reply with quote

I have asked a similar question to this one before and have even asked some gigging musicians I've met at jam sessions. How do you get gigs but not just where to go to find gigs who do you talk to. What do you say. What shouldn't you say. Hoping to find an answer here thank you.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Getting gigs Reply with quote

AlexBazinet wrote:
I have asked a similar question to this one before and have even asked some gigging musicians I've met at jam sessions. How do you get gigs but not just where to go to find gigs who do you talk to. What do you say. What shouldn't you say. Hoping to find an answer here thank you.

Get to know other trumpet players. Hang out with them. Play sessions with them (even if only play-alongs in their/your house).

When I moved back to NYC I got almost all my gigs from other trumpet players needing a sub.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if your age, but when I was in college that’s where I was able to network the most and picked up plenty of gigs.

Once you start gigging, it’s not too hard to meet more musicians in the community and pick up more work.

Check Facebook. Sometimes your area will have a group for musicians of a specific genre where you can post and say that you’re available to start gigging.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts on this:
Getting lessons from or simply getting together (coffee, etc) with working players is an obvious way to connect and grow your network. The advantage of a “lesson” is you get to demonstrate your playing, but there will likely be an undertone of networking. I have experienced this on both ends, and while there have been meaningful lessons, the interactions are usually strained as this meeting is more of an audition than a true lesson.

At the professional level, it can be assumed that most people are highly skilled and often the character of the person is what is being evaluated. “Do I want to spend three or four hours sitting next to this person?”

I have found that meeting someone after a performance, or inviting them out for a conversation and a free beverage has been more beneficial than simply “getting a lesson.” It might be suggested by one party or the other to get together for a trumpet hang, play duets, etc., but now the intention of the meeting is clear, and is less about fishing for work and more about becoming a part of a musical community.

That phrase above - becoming a part of a musical community - is key. Go to performances, be supportive of those you wish to be your colleagues (everyone). Be seen!! And NEVER criticize others. Never ever. Let your playing do all your talking, be humble, and be as prepared as you can be, no matter what.

Of course the real audition is when you’re on the gig. Were you on time? Prepared? Dressed appropriately? Play well? How did you behave when/if things didn’t go “perfectly”? Are you a team player? Did you thank everyone for the opportunity?

If you can do those things, the phone will ring, and it will ring often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: