• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

F. Besson International Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of these horns? My friend would like to sell one and we are trying to come up with a standard price.
THANKS!

1957 Olds Ambassador
Callet Symphonique Bb-C
Bach Strad Flugelhorn
Selmer-Paris Pic
Curry 5BC

[ This Message was edited by: LFRoberts5 on 2004-02-15 14:59 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a French Besson International...I think there may be an Besson International series, but I don't think it carries the term "French."

I don't know any more...
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that's correct. It doesn't have French in the name. I have played several of these at music stores over the years and have found these horns to play as well as some professional horns.

Mike
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare these to the Kanstul 610 model. Oooooops, My Bad. I think the Kanstul 610 compares to the Besson 609.
Tim

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2004-01-23 08:59 ]
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that on the sound of the Besson International - Beautiful deep tone on it. I think mine has a red brass bell, it isn't a French Besson though. The valves work great on it too, admittedly they took a while to wear in good and proper and they have just been serviced by a pro but there you go I love it. I'd be intereste in knowing if you find out what its worth.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson International (also called "BE 800) were made in North American by Kanstul who, upon losing the Boosey Hawkes contract, are now redirecting those parts into a model that carries their own brand and model number. The Besson International was also built in Europe for some time for the market "over there". I believe that the European ones could be had in either lacquer or silver, the Kanstul horns were all silver plated.

I've had one for about 5 years now...my son plays it in school band. I found it to be a fairly lightweight horn with excellent slotting and a very "nimble" feel to it. It was (at least in my opinion) relatively easy to "overblow" and I would get buried "in section" with our adult community band. I replaced it with a Bach Strad (which was a mistake...it was actually more accurate than the Strad). The valves (at least the Kanstul ones) are quite good. I believe that the current Ebay price is somewhere around $350 for a pristine one, $200 to $250 for a "used" one. I think it would be a great "intimate setting" or small, accoustic ensemble horn or perhaps when used with an amplifier in a small jazz group. It wouldn't work well with a marching, concert, or symphonic band where you need stability at higher volumes.

It also makes a very nice horn to "keep at home for practice" or emergency backup for the student.

As always, your experience may be different.
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the horn in my hands. The bell says F. Besson International Series U.S.A. Under the bell is the serial number, either, C25520 or 025520. Can anybody tell me anything about this horn.
THANKS!
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played several of The International Series when I was visiting Capitol Music in Montgomery AL. I always thought that they played as well as many Pro-horns eventhough they they are considered more of intermediate horn. I believe that most stores sold those horns new for around $800 to $900. A really great value. I'll be down there Wednesday and verify the price.

Mike
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area they were pitched as an intermediate horn below the French Besson Classic. I only played one of them and it seemed fine to me. Since Kanstul is not involved anymore with this line, it is sort of an orphan horn in that respect. As with the French Besson Classics, that is good for you if you are a buyer looking for a good playing horn for the money, but not so good for the seller. Like when Yamaha decided to discontinue the 6310Z in favor of the 8310Z, it affects the street price of the horns, but they still are as good as they ever were.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: