• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn That's Been Sitting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now in a rotation where I play all my horns at least every other day. I have a Bb that I didn't play for a month or so. Now after oiling the valves, the 3rd valve sticks ocassionally. This was never a problem before. I have not completely washed the horn out yet - that's this weekend. Any other suggestions?
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I accidentally dropped one of my valves on my old conn and got it repaired that valve would stick alot even after repairing (it wouldnt even fit into the casing before repair)....I didnt take it back cuz i figured the horn was 80 years old and they werent used to dealing with "relics" so i put it back in its case and threw it in my closet...I recently broguht it back out and it doesnt stick....not even alittle...weird huh? I say give it a good cleaning....even the littlest of dirt or crud in a certain spot would cause it to stick.

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore suggestions?
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try soaking in some valve oil for half-an-hour or so.

If that doesn't work take it to a repair shop - its not worth bodging it a thome.

Steve
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"bodging it at home"...well there's a phrase I don't hear enough in Rhode Island, USA. Too bad...bodging...what a word. We Americans really are lacking in the language department. We bodge, but have no word to describe our behaviour that equals this. A pity, really.

Meanwhile, sounds like the valve oil you use did not like the idle time. Al Cass oil does this to my horns...so I have steered away from it. But, thorough washing and relubrication...and, oh yes, playing regularly should cure the problem. No reason to believe repair is needed. kpb
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz,

Funny you should mention Al Cass oil. That's what I was using and what I've always used. I'll just keep cleaning and oiling and see what happens.

What valve oil are you using now?

[ This Message was edited by: BrassClass on 2004-01-25 14:23 ]
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know you won't be playing a horn for a while, I found that it helps to remove the valves and wrap them in something protective. I have a lot of horns sitting around on stands that don't get used frequently, but I do make a point of taking a few seconds each day to move the valves on all my horns. I have found that this keeps them from freezing up or sticking.

For valves that habitually stick, even after cleaning, I will remove the valve piston, wipe it clean, apply toothpaste or Brasso, remove the bottom cap, and insert the valve in the bottom of the cylinder. Work the valve while applying a small amount of pressure in all directions. I then insert the valve in it's normal position, and work it up and down again applying pressure in all directions. Remove the valve, clean and oil. I have found this to work really well.

If a valve is staying down, you might just need a thicker felt.

[ This Message was edited by: bent trumpet on 2004-01-25 15:03 ]
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played my flugelhorn or cornet since before Xmas. I just ran through some fast Vizzutti exercises with both of them and the valves are perfect.
BiNak Pro. It doesn't evaporate and doesn't leave residue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: