• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NY Bach "French 23" / "FR.23" bells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: NY Bach "French 23" / "FR.23" bells Reply with quote

OK, another question for the vintage Bach owners - this time REALLY vintage.

One of the shop card markings Roy Hempley and Doug Lehrer said they had no explanation of was those shop cards that have "French 23" or "FR.23" written for bell brass on the card.

Two digit numbers after a brass qualifier in Bach's shorthand are otherwise hundredths of a millimeter thickness indications (ie: 45 is 0.018" stock). 23 would be less than a 0.009" stock, which I don't think you could seam without burning through, stretch without ripping with the hammer, or if you could form it into a bell, avoid crushing with the buffing wheel (or your hand).

Researching the supplier Bach was using, there are three possibilities for metals they could provide: German Silver (silver-looking cupro-nickel used extensively by 19th century makers), classic pale yellow French Brass (which I presume to be the "French" and "Fr." entries without "23"), and a reddish brass. If 23 stands for zinc content (23% vs 77% copper), that would be a rose brass.

So, if you have an early New York Bach with "French 23" or "Fr.23" on the shop card, please see what color your bell brass is and report it here. (Obviously if plated, that would require a wear spot).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a year ago I had this horn put together with a NY Bach 226 bell.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1624098

The bell is some kind gold brass (but a different alloy than modern "G" bells), has a very narrow French bead, but more like it's just folded over flat. And it's VERY light. It's definitely thinner and lighter than a modern lightweight * bell. I noted in that post that it was less than half the weight of my 37G, but I can't find where I wrote that number down, sorry.

This bell model was made in 1946 as part of VB's development efforts with Mager. Unfortunately, there were no valves and thus no serial number to go with it so I could never ask for a shop card to see if this was "Fr. 23". I was looking forward to doing that research with the recent promise of posting the shop cards, but, alas, that was not meant to be. The serials would be between 7,000 and 7500 by my math and there were 7 horns with this bell.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RETrumpet wrote:
So, a year ago I had this horn put together with a NY Bach 226 bell.
The bell is some kind gold brass (but a different alloy than modern "G" bells), has a very narrow French bead, but more like it's just folded over flat. And it's VERY light. It's definitely thinner and lighter than a modern lightweight * bell. I noted in that post that it was less than half the weight of my 37G, but I can't find where I wrote that number down, sorry.

This bell model was made in 1946 as part of VB's development efforts with Mager. Unfortunately, there were no valves and thus no serial number to go with it so I could never ask for a shop card to see if this was "Fr. 23"..

A modern bell is 0.023" stock, so half that weight would be 0.011" stock or so. allowing that the copper in modern goldbrass bells is also higher, we can probably bump that to 0.014", which Bach did mess around with a little. It probably is a very light Auran bell, because I dont think Fr.23 lasted till after the war (because the supplier didn't).

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
HuberMusic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how old is the horn in question?

Early on (1920), Bach was advertising and selling French Besson trumpets that were a "special made model for Vincent Bach."

In 1921 he began selling Thibouville & Lamy Symphony trumpets.

No evidence for this, but if the horn is early enough in his production, is there a chance the bell was made by one of the above companies and marked for Bach?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unfortunately do not have access to an instrument (that would make this easy). I am working from Roy's information. I believe we are talking about the 1926-1929 window. (possibly just 27/28 )

As for Bessons. I originally thought that the batch Bach was selling was a batch of regular Bessons. However, Josh later came up with one of these horns and it was in fact unique. Also, despite what his family told his official biographer Andre Smith, there were parts of Bach horns that did not originate solely from the workbenches in the shop. I am aware of 4 pre-WWII Bach horns with Besson bells, one of which also has a Besson leadpipe, built around a Bach .462 valve block. (there may be more)

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
HuberMusic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for the additional info on the Besson horns.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread, interesting stuff!
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Bach sourced a few valve sets from a French mfg. also, on some (an) early Mercury trumpet in 1926 or so.

What if the French mfg. also provided the bell itself, and not just the sheet brass?

Do you know the serial number range of the trumpets that used the French bell brass? That may narrow it down, and I can also look at the user-submitted Bach instruments in the BachLoyalist.com database to see if I have any owner contact information.

Thanks for sharing those serial numbers? or range to narrow it down it a bit.

Last edited by interfx on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: NY Bach "French 23" / "FR.23" bells Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Researching the supplier Bach was using, there are three possibilities for metals they could provide: German Silver (which Bach would never use for a bell)

This is not true. I had several years ago a NY Bach made entirely on German Silver (Nickel Silver). Every part on the horn was made from this alloy, braces, bell tubing, crooks, receiver etc.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: NY Bach "French 23" / "FR.23" bells Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Researching the supplier Bach was using, there are three possibilities for metals they could provide: German Silver (which Bach would never use for a bell)

This is not true. I had several years ago a NY Bach made entirely on German Silver (Nickel Silver). Every part on the horn was made from this alloy, braces, bell tubing, crooks, receiver etc.

And Roy's adage "just when you think you have it figured out a horn comes along to prove you wrong" proves true once again.

Thanks for the correction Josh, I'll edit the original accordingly.

Should you happen to recall the serial number, bell, LP, etc. I would love to add that to my notes.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: NY Bach "French 23" / "FR.23" bells Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
J. Landress Brass wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

And Roy's adage "just when you think you have it figured out a horn comes along to prove you wrong" proves true once again.

Thanks for the correction Josh, I'll edit the original accordingly.

Should you happen to recall the serial number, bell, LP, etc. I would love to add that to my notes.

8014 shop card just seats Ger for bell brass
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: NY Bach "French 23" / "FR.23" bells Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
OK, another question for the vintage Bach owners - this time REALLY vintage.

Two digit numbers after a brass qualifier in Bach's shorthand are otherwise hundredths of a millimeter thickness indications (ie: 45 is 0.018" stock). 23 would be less than a 0.009" stock, which I don't think you could seam without burning through, stretch without ripping with the hammer, or if you could form it into a bell, avoid crushing with the buffing wheel (or your hand).

Ron,
The thinnest wall I've measured on trumpet bells is about .015" That was a Besson Meha bell from the 50's and the Claude Gordon models, both Benge and CG Selmer.
Claude told me that the guys in the Bach factory hated making the CG bells because they lost so many in learning how to work that thin gauge stuff. They did get it right eventually, for sure. This was in the 80's when Selmer USA premiered the horn.
Thanks for all your research,
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
hoosierben@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FR 23 Shop Card post attempt

[img]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPd116S_Q1r5PSGoThYygzOMBl-veTiv3AQMpaQ

hhmm, color of Bell
[/img]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMllo-_A7HaAtx2wVCPqXqJeRw7OVnnV4Qqnphm

Just joined, researching on this old Bach
very unique Bell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: