• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marching_Trojan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Olds trumpet Reply with quote

I've gone through a few trumpets, recently I got a jupiter ctr-1065. My main trumpet up until now has been an olds Ambassador. it has the jazziest sound of any trumpet I've played, I'd like to re lacquer/restore the Olds but would that effect the sound?
Marching_Trojan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I'd like to know the overall opinion on the ambassador.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marching_Trojan wrote:
also, I'd like to know the overall opinion on the ambassador.

Yes you're right, they're jazzy trumpets. I wouldn't relaquer the horn. Maybe a precision valve alignment by Bob Reeves or Charlie Melk would be money better spent.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Olds trumpet Reply with quote

Marching_Trojan wrote:
I'd like to re lacquer/restore the Olds but would that effect the sound?

Supposedly modern lacquers have very little to no effect on the sound of a trumpet. However, the old lacquer might (and personally, I like the 'worn look'...gives a horn character.

Other restoration changes can affect how a horn plays (whch in turn an affect your sound). The valves on my Olds Recording were so worn they started to stick and they had to be adressed. The horn played well before the repair, and great afterwards. My sound has changed because it plays better though, in most ways an improvement (the upper and lower register were easier to play afterwards). The notes below the bar especially sound a lot better. Still, if I'd have had the option to keep it as it was, I probably would have. Part of the charm of vintage horns are the challenges and quirks that come with the horn...makes them unique.

Financially, restoration wouldn't be wise. Ambassadors are cheap compared to say, a valve rebuild or a replate/relacquer. However, if you really like the horn, you're not gonna re-sell it, so what you really gotta decide is whether it's worth it for you.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 1957 Olds Ambassador about 10 years ago. The horn was in good condition. I had the horn restored by Kanstul (back when they were still operating), with the work including minor dent work, prep work, and re-lacquer. All of this was done for personal reasons, not economic. The horn cost me $80, and the restoration was $380. So I put about $460 in a trumpet, which after restoration, was probably worth about $300 at that time.

There are varying opinions on this. But a restoration is unlikely to change the way the horn plays in any appreciable way. I've restored 4 of my horns, my 1974 Bach 43*, 1965 Bach 37, 1980 Bach MLC, and the Ambassador. No problems and no regrets.

And to answer your other question, the Ambassador is a good horn with a lot of fans. Some of the praise is well-deserved. But some of the reasons are due to nostalgia. It's a good horn. But there are definitely better ones out there.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad shop could ruin any horn. With a good shop I wouldn't worry.

And in all generality the Ambassador is a very sturdy horn. And it might be harder to break than some.

I'd probably advise against putting too much $ into the horn. As much as you like it I'd be surprised if you don't find something even better that would be a better investment.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 80s I saw one of the big name bands in Jackson, MS (I think it was Lionel Hampton's band if I remember right) and the lead trumpet player had a sizzling sound on his Olds Ambassador! He told me he just loved the way it played for him.

Also, in 1988 I saw a fantastic Mariachi group performing in the Ciudad Juarez central market in Mexico. The top trumpeter, a monster player, was playing an Olds Ambassador held together with Popsicle sticks and tape. (Do you suppose he was afraid the horn might lose its sound if restored? Haha!) I was with the El Paso musicians union president that day and he told me never to venture into Juarez with my Conn trumpet. He was not kidding when he said, "They will kill you for it." (The trumpet was locked in my car trunk back at the union office.)

Play your Ambassador and enjoy it!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: