• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Front Teeth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrlamkin2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Front Teeth Reply with quote

Hello fellow trumpet player’s. I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but here it is!
Currently, I’m experiencing a looseness in my two top front teeth. My dentist says they’re strong, but I can feel the movement as I play. Have any of you felt a looseness in the top front teeth when playing, and if you have, what have you done to solve the problem. I need some other dental work done, and my dentist discussed the possibility of implants. Have any of you experienced having implants put in. If so, how many implants did you get and how did that work for you? How long did it take before you could play again, and how was your playing after having the implants put in. Is there another procedure other than implants that I can get that will help strengthen or save my front teeth. Or is there a dentist or a dental school that trumpet player’s go to for dental advice? All suggestions and recommendations will be much appreciated. Thanks.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up.

I think it is unfortunate but TH’s policies forbid medical discussions. I personally feel that discussion on how others got through medical issues that affect playing is a big benefit to the community. If nothing else just to educate the members on what to discuss with their medical caregivers.

Hopefully the moderators, I am just a member, will allow this discussion. Perhaps if someone who can contribute assistance reads this before/if it gets pulled, they can communicate via PM.

Good luck.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pressure on the top teeth can be relieved by using a little more pressure on the lower teeth - either through tilt of the mouthpiece or forward pressure of the jaw (not much actual jaw movement, just control of the pressure itself).

If you can feel actual movement of a tooth in its socket, that seems like a problem to me.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front Teeth Reply with quote

jrlamkin2 wrote:
My dentist says they’re strong, but I can feel the movement as I play.

Red flags should be going up over this statement.

Dentists typically don't find front tooth movement to be normal, much less characterize such teeth as "strong."

Is it possible that you are imagining the movement?

Jeff
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Heads up.

I think it is unfortunate but TH’s policies forbid medical discussions. I personally feel that discussion on how others got through medical issues that affect playing is a big benefit to the community. If nothing else just to educate the members on what to discuss with their medical caregivers.

Hopefully the moderators, I am just a member, will allow this discussion. Perhaps if someone who can contribute assistance reads this before/if it gets pulled, they can communicate via PM.

Good luck.

BINGO !!

I agree with Mr. Rusty. Topics of this nature can, and should be discussed here on this forum.

I recently went through necessary dental implant procedure. Very much affected how I now play the horns.
LadFree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that might help the teeth from moving are
1) Salt water on the area a few times a day
2) Use a rubber tipped massager you can buy at most CVS stores
3)Peroxide after brushing.and flossing
4) Water pic warm water on the gumline
5)Get Calcium mineral pills with D vitamin

I would also consider taking a day or 2 off from playing and
doing all these things above..And make sure to get a cast made of
your teeth from the dentist;
Good luck!
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates ?
O.P. ?
chickenburger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates about this?
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my undergrad years as a music ed major, when I was still doing a lot of playing, I still wore my removeable retainers at night. After I got my braces off, I had a permanent retainer installed behind my top two front teeth and also had removeable upper & lower retainers. At the end of a hard playing day, ESPECIALLY marching band game days, I could feel my teeth moving back into place after I put the retainers back in. Often, it was quite painful; however, I really believe wearing the retainers as long as I did kept me from having major dental issues due to playing with too much pressure. I have known several players older than myself who can wiggle their top front teeth.

My suggestion is to consult with an orthodontist as they are someone who specializes in moving teeth and getting them to stay put once moved.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: