• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton's setup circa 1983

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chet_fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Wynton's setup circa 1983 Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what horn/mouthpiece setup Wynton used on his recording Standards and Ballads. I know it's 98% the player but it sounds so good. Especially on the third track Embracable You.
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s an early Monette Raja on the Standard Time vol 2, Intimacy Calling cover, where Embracable You is collected from! Probably the trusted B2 mouthpiece

BUT in 83, it would have been a Strad 65 Vindabona! Hot House Flowers from 84 is played on that one, and the sound he has on that album is by far the nicest trumpet sound I’ve heard!

Last edited by Gonzalez on Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton's setup circa 1983 Reply with quote

chet_fan wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what horn/mouthpiece setup Wynton used on his recording Standards and Ballads. I know it's 98% the player but it sounds so good. Especially on the third track Embracable You.

The album "Standards and Ballads" is a compilation album of recordings from 1983-1999.

https://wyntonmarsalis.org/discography/title/standards-ballads

The Embraceable You recording is from Standard Time Vol 2. That album was released in 1990. Wynton was playing a Monette of some sort. You can see the horn on the album cover.
chet_fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights. I was under the mistaken impression that he was playing a Bach on that.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzalez wrote:
It’s an early Monette Raja on the Standard Time vol 2, Intimacy Calling cover, where Embracable You is collected from! Probably the trusted B2 mouthpiece.

I don't gush over all of Wynton's work but this is one of my all-time favorite recordings.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: