• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do I play in the high register without embouchure change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexBazinet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: How do I play in the high register without embouchure change Reply with quote

I'm in the 10th grade. I've been able to hit a clean double G and up for about a year now but my tone in the middle register suffered. I changed my embouchure to accommodate tone and my upper register has struggled. I can still hit a strong D but getting up to the G or even the E cleanly requires me to change my embouchure to the old way. My main problem is relaxing with the old embouchure it takes less air ,pressure ,and tension but as soon as I shift to the new one the sound gets thin and spitty. The actual change I made in my embouchure was a shift closer to the middle of the mouthpiece going from 80 to 20 top to bottom with the old embouchure to a more even 60 to 40. I also play a monette Unity B2 and an old holton T602

Normally I'd just ask my lesson teacher but he's on break till October and my teacher put these notes in my parts.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what I understand is that you have an old embouchure that sounded bad, and now you sound better but have less range?

The way you play in the high register without embouchure change is to . . . not change the embouchure. If you're saying that you have a tendency to revert back to the old embouchure, then we would need to know why your lesson teacher thought it was best to move your placement. Unless you chose to move your placement.

Either way, no answer that you get on trumpetherald is going to be a good answer as there are too many unanswered questions and nobody has seen or heard you play.
Jason Draper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in what both rafael mendez and sergei narciokoff have said. If you want to play high, then learn to play low. Could describe in some detail what your practice routine looks like?
Regards,
Jason
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many moving parts to give a more specific answer, but if it were me, I would keep my original placement and spend a lot of time on long tones and flow studies in your weak register.

Also, flow studies crossing in and out of your solid register to your "weak" register.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason Draper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might consider checking out master classes and methodology by Scott Belck.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me as if you need to develop your embouchure muscles and recalibrate your sensations, using the 60/40 embouchure that gives you good tone. Gradually work your way up from the top of your "good tone" range, slowly.

The Knevitt-Cimera Method for Developing the Upper Register (from qPress) has a series of exercises, or "lessons." The idea is, you do each lesson over three weeks: a slightly different way each week, in terms of dynamics, breath, slur. After the three weeks, you move to the next lesson, which is the same thing, but a semitone higher. I think that this slow progress, but with the good tone embouchure, might help you.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do I play in the high register without embouchure ch Reply with quote

AlexBazinet wrote:
I'm in the 10th grade. I've been able to hit a clean double G and up for about a year now but my tone in the middle register suffered. I changed my embouchure to accommodate tone and my upper register has struggled. I can still hit a strong D but getting up to the G or even the E cleanly requires me to change my embouchure to the old way. My main problem is relaxing with the old embouchure it takes less air ,pressure ,and tension but as soon as I shift to the new one the sound gets thin and spitty. The actual change I made in my embouchure was a shift closer to the middle of the mouthpiece going from 80 to 20 top to bottom with the old embouchure to a more even 60 to 40. I also play a monette Unity B2 and an old holton T602

Normally I'd just ask my lesson teacher but he's on break till October and my teacher put these notes in my parts.

Post video of yourself playing throughout your range - tongued, slurred.

By embouchure do you mean only the placement of the mouthpiece or the totality of what you do with the facial muscles and jaw when playing?

There's no way to tell what you consider a "strong D" and a "clean G".

Would you be able to play something like this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dWNIsfBS1-qahKDTcqTntOzK9Tlp2R9F/view?usp=sharing

Post video of yourself playing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is ditch the old embouchure, be patient and gradually develop your new embouchure. Sometimes you have to take one step back to be able to take a few steps forward. Trumpet playing is a turtle race. There are no magic exercises, mouthpieces, or horns as much as we all want there to be. You cant rush the process.

FWIW I went through a complete embouchure change in my 10th grade year of high school. It sucked while I was doing it because I went from playing first parts to playing fourth parts. By the end of the year, I was back on first part, had better tone and the best range in the section.

Best of luck and stay with it.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a drummer friend who could play loud double Cs and above with the most god awful sound.
AlexBazinet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to clarify a few things
1. I'm not going back to the old embouchure intentionally it just kinda happens

2.I'm going to make a recording so you all can get an idea of my actual playing

one other thing is I'm the only one at my school ,other than a trombone player, who can play in this range.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your making a video will be a big help towards getting good advice.
I suggest that the video shows you playing a true musical piece - maybe a recognizable song - even if you have to take it up an octave to get the range you have mentioned.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexBazinet wrote:
I'd like to clarify a few things
1. I'm not going back to the old embouchure intentionally it just kinda happens

I would recommend either practicing chromatic exercises similar to those in Clarke Setting Up Drills or scale exercises similar to Clarke Technical Studies #5. Its more difficult to change your embouchure setting when playing a continuous string of notes. Focus on not allowing it to occur during the exercise. Stop when you feel the change occurring.

With some time and correct repetitions you should be able to get rid of the old embouchure.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: How to play high Reply with quote

Hello all,
Alex, I would say to be patient, and wait to get in a routine with your teacher. It sounds with the 80/20, 60/40 that you have a normal overbite, and a normal embouchure. I would say that more work with technique and flexibility will aid you in the long run. You don't want to aid bad habits so take your time. Sounds like a good start for being in 10th grade. I would study videos of trumpet heroes, and watch what they do and how they sound. Vizzuti, Severinsen and others for the commercial side. Watch some classical guys and see how they interpret the various etudes...There are hundreds of videos of very refined players. Pick an artist, and strive to follow their footsteps. There is much more than high notes.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had a clean double G and changed your embouchure? Perhaps you need to learn to play the rest of your range with that setting with a more open and resonant tone. That might be better in the long term than trying to play with a setting that doesn't allow you to play in your upper register.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm reading is you're not changing your embouchure, you're changing your mouthpiece placement. You're not changing the way you uses your lips, roll in , roll out, pucker, upstream. downstream. All these can be played with the same mouthpiece placement.
Find your sweet spot and learn to work with it.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how far you're changing the mouthpiece placement you absolutely can be changing your embouchure. Air stream direction, for example, is determined by the ratio of upper to lower lip inside the mouthpiece, not horn angle. There are also some things that a brass musician can do that constitutes as embouchure type switching that aren't related to changing the mouthpiece placement.

But yes, once your find your "sweet spot," you should keep it consistent and learn to play your entire range with it. Again, I haven't seen the OP play, but as a general rule of thumb I would lean towards going with the high register embouchure and working on playing well with that setting than the other way around.

Dave
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do I play in the high register without embouchure ch Reply with quote

AlexBazinet wrote:

We've seen some of your other threads, and I defended you at one point with the "git uh teechuuuur!!!!!" crowd because of your claim to be able to hit/play a 4th ledger G. This was in your thread about how to get a darker tone. At the time I assumed you were further along than you probably are. Now I'm not so sure - we have no way to really tell. If you posted some recordings of your playing, we'd have a much clearer idea of what your capabilities are and whether or not a diversion towards developing upper register beyond 2nd ledger C is warranted.

But moving on, from what you've told us before, you do have a teacher. Why not just trust your teacher to help you along the path of advancement as a player?

I think you're trying to force development rather than to continue to steadily work towards attainable goals.

Rather than worry about range, why not worry about how clean you can play through exercises, and how good your sound is? That's what's really important.

You're in 10th grade - you have time to work towards those other goals, but you should take care of what's important first, and should allow for some trust in your teacher that they are giving you what you need to advance at a reasonable pace.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: How do I play in the high register without embouchure ch Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
You're in 10th grade - you have time to work towards those other goals, but you should take care of what's important first, and should allow for some trust in your teacher that they are giving you what you need to advance at a reasonable pace.

+1 this well written post by Patrick.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: