• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet Jazz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krafty934
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
It's been a while since I posted in this section, but I've been really busy checkin' out trumpets lately. I just recently brought home a Conn Vintage One and a Getzen Renaissance for a trial period. I also tried out many Bachs, Yamahas, Courtois, etc... What I want to know is how is the Callet Jazz? I've been reading awesome reviews on it and was just wondering if I could use it for both symphonic style work and jazz work. I'm a sophomore in HS (not a pro) so I was wondering if I can get feedback from people who own the Callet Jazz and from people who have tried it. I currently play on a Bach and I really want to get a unique and awesome horn. Thanks in advance for all the help.

P.S. I already have a private teacher (in case people suggest I get one first:wink:) who plays a V-Raptor. He suggested the Callet along with many other horns.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very fine horn that plays amazingly well! I'm not sure I would use it for Symphonic Work though ... Jazz for sure (obviously) .. but it may not be suitable and a good fit for some symphonic literature. Callet does (did) make a Symphonique that would be a better choice for that type of music though.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, believe it or not the symphonique horn was the exact same horn as the jazz except it had symphonique on the bell, I heard from a very reliable source. I own a jazz, and I love it. It's got an awesome sound and really fits well with any music. I've been playing the solo cornet part on Holsts second suite in F the last week or so and got nothing but comments.
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

|Actually, believe it or not the symphonique horn was the exact same horn as the jazz except it had symphonique on the bell.|

That's true. I heard it from Jerry himself. He said that at the time the trumpet players in Japan didn't want anything to do with a "jazz" horn, so Jerry just changed the name to Symphonique.
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Jazz/Symphonique thing myself, though I thought hte Symphonique moniker applied to C trumpets now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above posts are correct. The Jazz and Symphonique Bbs are one and the same.
I played a Jazz a few years ago and it was one fine horn. Big sound, dark, responsive and very even throughout the registers. It wasn't for sale or I might have been very tempted.
I believe the guys in the Houston Symphony were using them. This was a few years back and things may have changed.
I thought the horn would be good for any purpose, but if one is not ready to play a horn this open, one will not get what it can give you.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also heard the Houston Symphony was using the Callet C Trumpets. The Jazz/Symphonique is a great all around horn. I always have thought that it is the most versatile of the Callet horns. I think the conical bore is largely responsible for this. It expands into a larger bore but the conical shape allows you to play and control it in the lower register as well as in the higher register.

Mike
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets run this Callet C Symphonique .470 Expand-a-bore horn through again?
I quote Jerry, "This is NOT A CUT DOWN Bflat JAZZ horn." I just got through checking carefully both horns. Although the bell is virtually the same....the lead pipe (natually being a C horn... and tuning slides are also different, as the valve cluster.

As in my previous posts....I was BLOWN AWAY that my C horn's didn't have the strange intonations as my old "borrowed" Blessing Pro C horn was plagued with. In reality...my false fingering was mostly a thing of the past. In fact my Callet C horn plays in pitch center and in tune better than both my Yamaha and Selmer horns. The biggest advantage is just how nicely this Callet voicing and tonality is in the upper register is so much better, not only in projection, power...but the sound is BOLD-REGAL...not shrill or restrictive. It just feels so right and friendly and compliments the range that most church choirs voices sing with. Although the lower range on most C horns are suspect on the ones I had used in the past, my Callet C seems to give a dense-ness that was missing in my old borrowed Blessing C and also my colleagues beautiful Schilke C that also is an exceptional C horn. He and I were noticably impressed how little the 1st and 3rd valve slide pull was needed, compared to both his Schilke C and that old Blessing. In truth, I loved that Schilkes voicing and overtones in both the low and mid range...but the Callet just seemed to own the upper register, with less effort.
But again, this is such a personal choice and Jim feels and maybe rightly so, that his Schilke sound fuller than my Callet and his complaint was that my Callet was too bright. But again, I still suspect that Jim was so used to OVER-BLOWING his old Blessing and also his new Schilke, which to me....in the little time that we switched back and forth on our Christmas church gig...where we both played Handel's H. Chorus and our decants with the large choir and heavy handed pipe organ with the pedals to the treddddles' the upper register just seem less work, than when I had has beautiful Schilke in my hands.
Bottom line??
Some of my friends in other orchestras have tried my individual Callet Symphonique. Two were Bach-a-holics and Jim a Schilk-a-holic. All three of these were also amazed at the Callet noticable improved pitch and clarity in the upper register...but again, ALL THREE WERE USING THEIR OWN MOUTHPIECES....I wonder if that alone could have made the difference.
No biggie...
But again...CALLET STRESSED TO ME..MORE THAN JUST A COUPLE OF TIMES...Although the bell is a Bflat design...the rest is considerably different, and not just one of his Callet Jazz..CUT DOWN TO SIZE?

I also agree with another poster on this board who uses an Callet Expand-a-bore horn...and yes...Jerry in fact does stand by his design that it was made to project like a large bore horn but play like a smaller bore. The size at the mp throat is a mere .353 but ends up at the 3rd valve at a full .470 through the valve cluster? Hummm???
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regal is definately the right word! I don't play alot in classical settings, I play Jazz lead & solo, funk, latin and pop. I'm not a fan of the "lazer" lead sound.When I play lead, I use one of Jerry's vari-cups and I get a big singing sound with lots of power. For combo and less intense blowing, I use a CG personal and I can get a full smooth sound with no lack of power. I've owned Bach, Schilke (20 yrs), a Holton .485, and I've played everything else. The Jazz is the best and most versatile horn I've ever played.

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: