• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is there an etude book with limited range?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace9848

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Is there an etude book with limited range? Reply with quote

I'm looking to see if there is an etude book that stays on the staff while I am building up. I like etude books because they "sound like actual music" rather than just exercises, but I am nowhere near strong enough for Charlier or Bitsch. Even Vannettelbosch is a little out of reach right now. it is frustrating because after 25 years of not playing, technique came back extremely quickly, but range and endurance are slow. So I find myself left unchallenged technically (except range/endurance) and lyrically, with boring exercises that work skills that I already have. Any suggestions for an etude book that just stays on the staff (below staff is fine of course)?

(I also can read bass clef from playing euphonium in the past...if you have a trombone/cello/euphonum, etc... ideas that stay in the comparable range I described, that would be helpful too!)

Thanks!
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the various hering etude books (40 progressive and 32 etudes) are both musically interesting and stay within the staff.

Getchell (books 1 & 2) both stay mostly within the staff as well.

Vacchiano Melodic Etudes start stretching but are mostly A above the staff and below.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't many etude books beyond the beginner level that stay entirely within the staff. There are a number of options that are MOSTLY within the staff. Here goes:

The "Art of Phrasing" section in many editions of Arban's method contains 150 melodies that are generally within the staff.

Bousquet's 36 Celebrated Studies is one of your best options. Plenty of technical challenges and most etudes stay within the staff. These studies are included in the St. Jacome method, or available as a stand-alone book.

Clodomir's 20 Characteristic Studies are almost all within the staff.

Concone's Lyrical Studies (as transcribed by John Sawyer) are generally within the staff.

Dijoux's 51 Etudes Modernes are at the intermediate level, and almost all within the staff.

Most of Havart's 167 Etudes d'Expression (brief lyrical studies) are within the staff.

Herbillon's 40 Etudes Sur le Legato et la Velocite are also generally within the staff.

Of Hering's books of etudes, 50 Recreational Studies, 40 Etudes, 38 Recreational Studies and 32 Etudes are generally within the staff.

Gallay's 12 Studies for Second Horn is a lot of fun if you are comfortable working pedal tones in with your etudes.

The Getchell books have already been mentioned.

The first three books of Maxime-Alphonse's 200 Studies are nearly all within the staff, with some requirement for pedal tones (though less than in Gallay).

Nathan Ost's 21 Etudes for the Early Trumpeter (which I'd describe as late beginner to early intermediate) are within the staff.

Reskin's Intermediate Trumpet Outings.

Rousselle's 20 Etudes Pour le Registre Grave were specifically written with the trumpet's low register in mind.

Senon's 130 Etudes Techniques et Melodiques, books A and B (which include the first 66 etudes) stay mainly within the staff.

Snedecor's Low Etudes is another great option.

Book 3 (Melodic Studies) of the Vizzutti Trumpet Method has a number of etudes that remain within the staff.
GardyParty_11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited Range Etudes by Brittany Hendricks
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Bousquet recommendation, which, if memory serves, is also part of the much larger St. Jacome book, so if you have a copy of that, you already have the Bousquet studies buried in there.

These studies are pretty much exactly what the OP is asking for, and vary in difficulty, so you are fairly likely to find at least a few of them that will work well for you, and some others to 'grow into' down the road.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good alternative to etudes is to work off blues scales, which you can make entire songs out of without going off the staff. That helps everything - the need to make music that appeals to you, ear-playing ability, and simple transposition - as your range increases you can start in the higher IV and V keys. You can pick out anything from Mack the Knife to Smoke On The Water to As Time Goes By.
ace9848

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Much appreciation for the responses Reply with quote

Thank you all so very much - there was so much very good information in the responses - I am very appreciative!
zeitchef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the 45 Easy Studies from Wurm. Very musical and hit a lot of different technical aspects. Find the score on IMSLP, and the complete recordings on YouTube from Christopher Smith.
Lukarino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a trumpet player who always struggled with range due to embouchure issues, I have a lot of experience looking for etudes that don’t go too high!

My first recommendation would be to do concone exercises from Jay Lichtmann, at http://www.wwjdo.com/concone/ where you can transpose to whatever key you desire and play along with the backing tracks. Free and easy to get started!

I am playing a lot of Getchell etudes right now during my embouchure change, and book one stays below a C in the staff for the first dozen or so pages.

I also second the Bousquet and Snedecor Low Etudes recommendations for technically challenging etudes that do not venture above the staff too often. Most of the earlier Bousquet etudes are what you are looking for, as many of the later ones go up to A or Bb above staff. Snedecor helps you get acquainted with the Low F on your Bb trumpet, so hopefully your slides allow you to get down to that note.

Best wishes and enjoy!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Getchell First Book of Practical Studies for Trumpet. It stays in the staff for much of the book and seldom goes any higher than A above the staff.

When I was teaching lessons I had a lot of my students using this book.

There's a second book as well, but it still stays out of the high register and focuses more on technical and lyrical skills.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Don Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also enjoy Mitchell On Trumpet Book 1 from Qpress. Much of the book stays in the staff, begins to move just above the staff about the last third. Marvelous exercises and melodic studies.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have them handy to check, but didn't Karg-Elert write some applicable etudes?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lyrical Studies section of Vincent Cichowicz's Fundamental Studies for the Developing Trumpet Player has a number of short pieces that are either within the staff or they have a note or two above or below.
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lyrical Studies section of Vincent Cichowicz's Fundamental Studies for the Developing Trumpet Player has a number of short pieces that are either within the staff or they have a note or two above or below.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 2 that come to mind are Voisin and Koprasch (ugh spelling on both)

Arban has plenty of examples I think

Then you could always look at something like a Rubank book
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Sachse 100 Etudes. Rarely breaches the top line (because it's intended for transposition) and simple/musical with great variety.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: