• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Leadpipe corrosion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will N🎺

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Leadpipe corrosion Reply with quote

Hi, I recently came back from a lesson with a new teacher and he inspected my horn which my other teachers haven't done. It's a 3 year old Bach Stradivarius 37, so it's relatively new. He looked down the lead pipe and found corrosion from age. He said that the lead pipe was dead and I need a new one. Does anyone have any experience with this and have any advice on what to do next?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Bach that is only three years old with leadpipe corrosion, I would first take it to a good tech and have him evaluate it. I don't know, personally, how you can eyeball down a leapipe and know what you are seeing is corrosion. I would clean it well with a leadpipe snake, first.

If your tech sees no corrosion, I would question the competency of your teacher. And it might be safe to find out what repairman he sends his students to and do NOT send your horn to that tech, rather another one.

Worst-case situation, if your teacher recommends a tech that he has a personal relation with for the repair/replacement and it is not necessary, I would look for another teacher.

p.s. check your warranty.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your teacher is not a tech.

It's likely it just needs a proper chemical clean at a shop.

Unless there is a hole in the pipe, it's not 'dead'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
Your teacher is not a tech.

Unless there is a hole in the pipe, it's not 'dead'.

Note that this information is from a trumpet builder and repair tech.

The old adage “trust but verify” can be applied to your teacher’s advice.

My opinion, and it is worth exactly what you are paying for, is that it is highly unlikely that so much damage could be done in three years that you would need to replace the leadpipe.

Good luck.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no sign of red rot on the outside of the leadpipe ( which would coincide witht the supposed red rot inside the lead pipe), then either there is no red rot, or it hasn't progressed to a point where you need to change the lead pipe. Keep it clean and dry and you can prevent red rot or arrest the progression.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Leadpipe corrosion Reply with quote

Will N🎺 wrote:
Hi, I recently came back from a lesson with a new teacher and he inspected my horn which my other teachers haven't done. It's a 3 year old Bach Stradivarius 37, so it's relatively new. He looked down the lead pipe and found corrosion from age. He said that the lead pipe was dead and I need a new one.

Very hard to believe that a lead pipe from a 3 year old Vincent Bach Stradivarius is that much corroded that you should replace her for a new one.
Better replace your teacher, obviously he doesn't know sh*t. Just clean your horn with a snake brush and worm soapy water, rince all the slides, rebuild the horn an blow every two days a few drops of valve oil through the horn (drip 4 drips of oil in the lead pipe before your study session starts)

Don't worry, even if your lead pipe dies after 10 - 20 years, just let patch the holes and ride on, you won't notice the difference
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ... after 20-years, patches imbue "character".
(Don't ask me how I know this ).

By-the-way, you aren't eating pizza (with pepperoni and anchovies) while playing your horn ?
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Leadpipe corrosion Reply with quote

Will N🎺 wrote:
Hi, I recently came back from a lesson with a new teacher and he inspected my horn which my other teachers haven't done. It's a 3 year old Bach Stradivarius 37, so it's relatively new. He looked down the lead pipe and found corrosion from age. He said that the lead pipe was dead and I need a new one. Does anyone have any experience with this and have any advice on what to do next?

"Your teacher is not a tech.

Unless there is a hole in the pipe, it's not 'dead'."

Mr. Divitt is spot on, and you need to do as others have advised in taking the horn to a good repair shop.

I've had recent experience with newish Bach trumpets that have indeed been showing mineral deposits in the leadpipe, which is the dreaded "rot," or more exactly, zinc leaching from yellow brass alloy.

If your saliva's chemistry is such that the acids are causing this to happen, than regular cleaning is the answer once you get the pipe serviced. Tim Wendt's swab is also a good idea after each day of playing. If it's clean and dry after playing, it will last for many years.
https://yourbrass.com/
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current Bach leadpipe (ca. 9 years old) is rotting out and as I play without added pizza or coke it likely has to do with body chemistry. My next leadpipe will definitely be a non-yellow-brass pipe (gold brass, red brass, nickel silver, …) but the current one has some time to go.

Swabbing does reduce the progress of the rotting but won’t stop it, so if the OP really has a red rot pipe, the time for a replacement (or patches) will come. Best (only?) option is to see a pro tech and get an assessment of the pipe.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: