• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Committee - Richard Martin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack97

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Martin Committee - Richard Martin Reply with quote

Hello. Has anyone tried these new Martin Committees made by Richard Martin?
https://www.martinbrasswind.com/
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was discussed awhile ago, and I recall it mentioned that the instruments were actually made by BAC ( https://www.coolisbac.com/ ), for MartinBrasswind .
I am not aware of any actual manufacturing being done by MBW.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, there had been one sold - to a collector.

BAC may have built another one for trade shows, I am not sure. When the original was shown at trade shows, those who played it were highly complimentary. (There's a thread here somewhere, but I cant find it)

Martin Brasswind Co. is not a maker. It is an exclusive marketing channel - one that appears to have been a dead end. This is very sad given the work John Duda & Matt Simianer put into designing a remarkable instrument.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Jacko1235

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean Martin Brasswind Co. own the naming rights? If so I'm surpised the brand hasn't been licensed to a bigger company.

For the actual trumpet, I think they really missed the market. There are plenty of credible Martin Committee "clones" going for significantly less with good track records.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacko1235 wrote:
Does that mean Martin Brasswind Co. own the naming rights? If so I'm surpised the brand hasn't been licensed to a bigger company.

For the actual trumpet, I think they really missed the market. There are plenty of credible Martin Committee "clones" going for significantly less with good track records.

There are a number of posts on here discussing this. If you decide to research it use Google or some such and add the search term “site:trumpetherald.com”. This will limit the search to this site. TH’s search is really poor.

If I remember correctly the family still owns the naming rights and is attempting to resurrect the brand and produce quality instruments that are not produced by cheaper budget manufacturers.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the new horn but the bush-league promotional video as their opening and best shot was a tie breaker for me. And I might add, no follow-up.
https://www.martinbrasswind.com/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Selmer K-Modified Light Trumpet (for sale)
Benge 3X Cornet
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion:

The consumer market really doesn't need any more "new horns".
(Maybe student horns ... but, I have NO IDEA what's going on there.)

Anyone want to disagree, and offer a strong, valid reason to oppose what I am stating?
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consumer market may not really "need any new horns," but Brett Getzen and the folks in Elkhorn seem to be having a lot of luck with the X-13. And there seems to be plenty of buzz about the new Bachs. So addressing or dismissing the market at large rather than the issue with this one particular horn doesn't address the issue for me.

As previous posters here have pointed out, other than trying to leverage the family name, there didn't seem to be a lot of logistical genius in the rollout of this particular horn. It may be a truly great horn, but if there isn't enough to meet demand (or better yet, *almost* meet demand, I waited 6 months for my X-13) and not enough credible buzz, the horn won't go anywhere.

And if it's a great horn, that's too bad. The mass consumer market may not need any new horns, but the market I'll call the "prosumer market," the dedicated hobbyist market, is certainly receptive. And who are we to tell them they don't need a well-functioning new tool that makes their hobby more enjoyable?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
If I remember correctly the family still owns the naming rights and is attempting to resurrect the brand and produce quality instruments that are not produced by cheaper budget manufacturers.

The Martin Brasswind Company is not The Martin Band Instrument Company - Conn-Selmer owns that name (and would own Committee if they hadn't let the trademark lapse).

The Martin family & family-owned companies never had anything to do with any Committee model.
- GR Martin, New York - 1851-1858 (GR Martin)
- Martin & Slater - ca. 1853, became Slater & Martin, rights passed to Moses Slater who shut it down when he partnered with Henry Distin to start making Slater horns in-house in 1878/9ish
- Martin & Co. - 1858-1872 (GR Martin & JH Martin)
- Martin, Pollmann & Co. - 1872-1878 (Martin brothers + August Pollmann's money)
- Martin Brothers - 1878-1885 (GR & JH Martin) - went bankrupt. JH went to Conn, GR wound up an assembler in a Detroit stencil shop
- JH Martin Band Instrument Co. - 1904 (JH Martin & 4 sons) - reorganized 1905
- Martin Band Instrument Company - 1905 to present day brand owned by Conn Selmer (Henry Charles Martin & 3 brothers, sons of JH)

But here's the kicker: JH Martin's sons sold the company in 1911 to their 27 year old book-keeper, who sold it again to OP Basset a couple years later. Basset fired company president HC Martin in 1923, removing the last family influence from the company. The Martin Committee was created in the late 1930s. The family had nothing to do with it.

The Martin Committee by the Martin Family was a dumb idea when it originated between Richard Martin and Zig Kanstul. BAC wrongly thought that creating a superior new horn, rather than a clone, would make this work - but missed that the reason it fails is Richard Martin.

Martin Brasswind Co. is nothing but a marketing shell company. The exclusive marketing deal killed this horn, that could have made a reputation for BAC had they acted differently.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
: Martin Brasswind Co. is nothing but a marketing shell company. The exclusive marketing deal killed this horn, that could have made a reputation for BAC had they acted differently.

You could be right.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

<Detailed history of the Martin brand.>

Well! (Harumph)

Maybe my family is right. My memory is going.

Sorry for the misinformation. I did make a small attempt to find the post I was remembering before posting.

Okay, after a moment of searching I found this post from 2020.

LittleRusty wrote:
There was an active thread about BAC and Martin, but it looks like it got pulled since I cannot find it.

I suspect that what I am currently remembering is from that thread. Hopefully I can purge that memory.

Apologies
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a 'strictly business' point of view, it would be interesting to know who provided the funding and expertise for BAC to produce the new instrument.

If BAC provided a substantial amount of money for the project, then it would have been wise for them to have some contracted number of instruments that Martin Brasswind would buy from BAC, or that BAC would be able to produce and sell the instrument to others without it being labeled as a 'Martin Committee' .
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
From a 'strictly business' point of view, it would be interesting to know who provided the funding and expertise for BAC to produce the new instrument.

If BAC provided a substantial amount of money for the project, then it would have been wise for them to have some contracted number of instruments that Martin Brasswind would buy from BAC, or that BAC would be able to produce and sell the instrument to others without it being labeled as a 'Martin Committee' .

Very true. The R&D was all BAC (specifically John Duda and Matt Simianer - think Calicchio....). They did a fair amount of research, including asking me among others for measurements, etc. on historic horns of different periods. The result was well received, but the marketing blunder has left it unknown now.

Not good ROI at all (and I notice that they do now require a minimum just to build a special horn design - I think it may be 30 units - so probably a lesson learned)

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, of BAC (if he is still involved?) graduated from Red Wing (WI) Technical & Community College. Very fine training for band instrument repair. I have a relative that graduated.

HOWEVER (!!) I do not believe students receive dedicated business education.

A classic case of knowing a lot about certain aspects (mechanical/repair/assembly) of music-instruments, but little-or-no background in the deeper aspects of running a business.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the havoc that the epidemic wrought on everything. The deal originally was that Kanstul would stencil their 1603 (essentially) for Richard Martin if he ever came up with an order to build one (I don't know if he ever did, I kind of doubt it). Then Kanstul collapsed and BAC bought the tooling, and that's when they took the deal over, but BAC wanted to design their own Committee knock-off. The prototype they came up with, made mostly by John Duda, was actually very good; I played it at the NAMM show and thought it was nice, although I'm no expert on Committees. But that's when the pandemic hit, and BAC along with just about everybody else closed up. Whatever momentum for making and marketing the new (Richard) Martin Committee pretty much dried up.

BAC doesn't seem to have recovered from the pandemic, from what I can tell. Their grandiose plans when they bought out the Kanstul tooling has come to basically nothing. I've heard very little about their Benge line, even though they now own the Benge name. Of course, making an investment like that just before that kind of calamity would mess anybody up. But it’s a shame, because there are two pretty excellent Committee horns that are now gone (the 1603 and the BAC/Duda/Richard Martin incarnation), along with the Benge line, and BAC’s ability to make new horns appears to be moribund, in spite of all the equipment they now own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: