• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Players hesitating on starting notes. Attack? Setup? Air?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Players hesitating on starting notes. Attack? Setup? Air? Reply with quote

Some of the brass players (various ages) in our little neighbourhood concert band seem to be hesitating on their attacks, and as you can guess, it leads to the ensemble's slowing down.

It would be great if they were to engage a teacher, but there's a lot of them, of varying income levels. I will, though, see how many are willing to engage a teacher, and I'll find one.

Anyway, I think that they are not setting up properly: either taking a late breath, having an inconsistent setup, a just-in-time setup, or they're attacking (tongue on) on the beat rather than releasing (tongue off) on the beat.
(If I say that they need to have air at the ready, I'm concerned about their setting up with too much pressure that's then released in an explosion.)

Do you folks have a good, simple way to describe, at least in the beginning, the feeling of a good setup allowing a confident (yet clean) start to a note, on cue?

Thanks!

(once we get everyone synchronized, we can work on quality of setup. Right now, it's just about syncing with the conductor.)
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the player's confidence (and ability) to 'do it right'.

Some people seem to be 'delayed action' - meaning they wait a split second to not be early (and maybe to avoid having poor sound be noticeable, safety within the bunch).

The director could try doing an exercise something such as play a scale of
2 count play on the stick down beat
2 count rest
etc for following notes
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
A lot depends on the player's confidence (and ability) to 'do it right'.

Some people seem to be 'delayed action' - meaning they wait a split second to not be early (and maybe to avoid having poor sound be noticeable, safety within the bunch).

The director could try doing an exercise something such as play a scale of
2 count play on the stick down beat
2 count rest
etc for following notes

I agree completely: there seems to be much fear there. I'll mention your exercise (or similar) to the director.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
I agree completely: there seems to be much fear there. I'll mention your exercise (or similar) to the director.

Fear is always an issue with brass players. I think giving them permission to come in poorly/splyeah a note/etc. will go a long way in fixing the issue.

Often with players that are "afraid" to come in, I completely remove the necessity to come in "perfectly." I tell them "I want you to miss every first entrance from now on." You can adjust the sentence for your needs. Maybe give them a week or something to do it in this way.

mograph wrote:
Do you folks have a good, simple way to describe, at least in the beginning, the feeling of a good setup allowing a confident (yet clean) start to a note, on cue?

To address this. Just have them be ready 2 measures before they are supposed to come in. Another fun exercise is dropping something and having them play the note as soon as the "wallet" or "pencil" hits the floor (or conductors stand). It gives them a visual in the form of a game.

But for a while for myself, I would think: set, relax, breathe, play. Breathing in time (1 or 2 beats depending on tempo). Idk, I'm just rambling at this point.

Good luck!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure I’m reading the context right, but take your neighborhood band to not only contain brass. I play in a similar setting (but our critical section is the violins + the drums) and one way to at least alleviate the issue is to have a rehearsal with only a section (rather than the full band).

That way you could only take the trumpets, start the rehearsal with them, look at the issue, maybe only practice attacks or whatever, and then an hour later you’ll move on to a full ensemble practice. Has worked well in virtually every larger group I played in for the last 40 years (and we keep doing it, mostly for phrasing and intonation).

Maybe you could also hire a brass teacher for a dedicated brass practice (our conductor is a string and piano person and teaching her about realistic brass range and the need for a few breaks throughout a piece took a while, so the musical origin even of a pro does matter).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean attacks is something you have to work on - it's more than just air. Like high notes *everything* has to be working just so.

I watched a clinic by Doc where he was talking about attacks and how he practiced them - he would attack a note, it didn't come out the way he wanted, he'd start over, nope still not quite there, etc. It was an interesting demonstration by of one of the greatest who's ever picked up the horn and seeing that despite the countless hours he'd spent practicing becoming such an amazing player even he still worked on honing and refining it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible item is if the conductor is insisting on the players making their entrances at a lower volume than they can accomplish.

In some pieces a conductor might say he doesn't want to hear the 'entrance' itself, just have the sound 'emerge' at the right time . It take a LOT of control to do that!
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -- all good advice. At this point, I think we're concerned about consistency and synchronization: to emit a sound on cue, with confidence.

We'll work on quality next week ...
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll offer my 2c.

These issues can often be traced to poor coordination between the breath and attack (whatever reason, nerves, confidence, etc), as well as poorly calibrated wind speed/focus for the pitch at hand. The vast majority of players I run into have difficulty on the breathing side of attacking a note. Loud or soft, high or low.

Practicing slower breaths with air attacks (without stopping the wind between) would help I think.
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mograph, I’ve been working on quality for 40 years now. Not quite there yet
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Hey mograph, I’ve been working on quality for 40 years now. Not quite there yet
Ha! You and me both!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, - precisely timed (and awareness thereof) of entrances. Two techniques:

Tap the foot precisely to the tempo. If the player can't do that, how can s/he know exactly where to place their downbeats? Practice without the horn.

Practice thinking of the breath cycle as circular. The first half of the cycle, an inhalation in tempo and the second half an expulsion, also in tempo. At the the exact mid-point of this of this, flick the tongue quickly and tension free.

Keep the air flowing and relaxed.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of reasons why players will hesitate on attacks. There's some context we're missing that might help us come up with more targeted advice.

Is it only on initial attacks or is there a hesitation with notes in the middle of the phrase? It could be that some players are hesitating in order to get a better embouchure setting and they could be helped with advice on how to set their mouthpiece and breathe through the mouth corners. Maybe some are using the valsalva maneuver to stop the the air up and they need to inhale and commence blowing without hesitation. Maybe they're bottling up the air with the tongue and need to work on coordinating their tongue backstroke with the blowing.

Does it mostly happen after rests or long notes? Maybe the issue is more related to the musicians not keeping the tempo in mind at all times. They might be helped if they learn to "run alongside the train before they jump on" and keep their internal metronome going (with subdivisions, if appropriate) before they enter.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I love the Shuebruk Lip Trainers (the business players section) for this exact thing. It's mostly a timing thing. In addition to being a trumpet professor, I'm also the director of bands at my institution, and I use a variant of these exercises with my band as needed, and it really works well. Something could be easily adapted!

Best,
L
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tap the foot precisely to the tempo. If the player can't do that, how can s/he know exactly where to place their downbeats?

100%. Have them do this at all times. It will condition their mind to know when to inhale, and when to start the note.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Players hesitating on starting notes. Attack? Setup? Air Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
Some of the brass players (various ages) in our little neighbourhood concert band seem to be hesitating on their attacks, and as you can guess, it leads to the ensemble's slowing down.(...)

Not to throw cold water on this, but is it possible that some of the problem lies with the conductor?

I can't speak to the "hesitation" to which you refer, but if this is an en masse problem, I'd take a look in the mirror. I've played in a fair number of community band situations over the past 50 years where the slowing down was due to the conductor making ever-larger gyrations trying to speed up the ensemble but where he/she was actually slowing down in an attempt to make people follow. Ditto attempts to makepeople softer (or louder), or to communicate any number of other "things musical".

I've always been an advocate of playing exactly what is being conducted. Years back I used to participate as a prinicipal conducting student in various week-long conducting workshops under people like Fennel, Reynolds, Paynter, Kirchoff, etc. The ensemble we conducted inevitably performed beautifully regardless of what was going on at the podium. Several times, to prove the point, I conducted passages obviously out of context and then stopped the ensemble and demanded they play as conducted. It would often lead to arguments about "the music", and all that, but the course was always one on being able to communicate visually what was desired (by the conductor) in sound, dynamic and style. For what the workshops cost, I wanted the proper feedback, not to be patronized by a room full of great musicians.

Anyway- why not try having the brass players sing their parts? Da, La, Do, whatever syllable you think might be appropriate. If it still happens, well...
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played with players who have been conditioned to tap their foot (former Caruso students). It doesn't help at all. They rarely have good time. And it becomes a crutch, where they literally can't play without it.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People volunteered to spend the evening away from their families and drive across town after work to enjoy the act of making music at whatever skill level they have. If you’re the music director then you can try to address that problem. If you’re a member then lead by example. I wouldn’t try to fix anyone’s playing issues unless they specifically ask
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music director and I have been discussing the problem, so I’ve been invited to help work on a solution.

It’s not the conductor: it’s a not-insignificant number of players, and I’ve heard them verbally count in time, but not play in time. So it’s in the sound production — the blowing.

It’s not the fingering causing a delay, because trombones do it on notes with spaces between. Fingering problems also sound different in my experience: wrong notes or quick changes as they "fumble" over the note. That's not what we're hearing.

I continue to lead by example (by playing normally and properly) , but their not listening to the group is one of the problems.

The conductor added group exercises to the rehearsal last night, but I had to miss it for family reasons. I'll ask how it went.

Last edited by mograph on Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilktone wrote:

Is it only on initial attacks or is there a hesitation with notes in the middle of the phrase?
[...]
Does it mostly happen after rests or long notes?

It's on any notes when they have had the opportunity to take a breath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: