• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Permanent or temporary loss of range??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Permanent or temporary loss of range?? Reply with quote

Talk me down here… 😅

I played a 3hr Oktoberfest gig with VERY little rests on Saturday. Trumpet 2 book, so mostly playing in the staff, very few notes above. Felt a little fatigued at end, but not bad.

Prior to this month, I could nail G above high C, and often an A just COLD. And dubba-C with warming up.

But paste three days, I can just reach high C, maybe a D. And only a fragmented E if cheat and use a lot of pressure on mpc. That’s absolute ceiling now.

What’s going on?? I’ve never had this problem? Any suggestions when it will resolve, or what I can do to recover range?
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably come back after a bit of rest, but you really need to straighten out your mechanics that caused it to happen. Without seeing you I'm only guessing, but what typically happens is that a lot of loud mid and low range causes your mouthpiece placement to drift, probably downward (I'm guessing here), and that's not where you need to be for your high range. Your jaw position may have also drifted in a similar way, again not where you need to be for high range.

Unless you have a clear understanding of the mechanics your particular face and embouchure type needs, it's easy to get out of position like that on unusual gigs.

I do Skype lessons teaching this sort of thing if you're interested in learning to keep things consistent for the long term.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In college I did a gig-from-hell with a hearing-impaired accordion player who had the PA mics so hot that I had to play really soft with no air for like 4 hours and he wouldn't let us rest. For a week afterward I could hardly get a sound out of my horn but it came back with rest and careful warm-ups.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you did some serious injury it shouldn't be permanent but it sounds like an issue at play is that you don't have a solid handle on exactly what you do to play high.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
In college I did a gig-from-hell with a hearing-impaired accordion player who had the PA mics so hot that I had to play really soft with no air for like 4 hours and he wouldn't let us rest. For a week afterward I could hardly get a sound out of my horn but it came back with rest and careful warm-ups.

Yes - I can remember gigs like that. As we say over here playing on the rim, not the rubber. A bout of the overuse syndrom.
So the OP should carefully bring himself back to normal.
As a "fringe benefit" maybe reflect on the status of the embouchure.
Some aspects that should be updated?
Good luck.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played two municipal concert band gigs like that under a conductor who wasn't a brass player.I think his instrument was violin. Most of the material consisted of marches. We'd finish a piece, and he would start counting off the next one. He also conducted with his head down and rarely looked up. On both gigs we had a trumpeter who was about 85 and didn't see well. I sat next to him on the second gig, and he pulled out the wrong piece of music a couple of times. Half the time I couldn't get the conductors attention to wait. It was a nightmare. On the first gig we played 2 hours straight of mostly Souza marches. I ended up taking a couple of days off after those performances. The conductor was also supervisor of music in the town I taught in and ended up some years later being my boss for about 15 years. He was a nightmare boss as well.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
. . . causes your mouthpiece placement to drift, probably downward (I'm guessing here), and that's not where you need to be for your high range. Your jaw position may have also drifted in a similar way, again not where you need to be for high range.

If rest doesn't do it, a slight shift, as explained above, is usually the next culprit. It's tempting to try and play through the issue, but resting a few days and then playing "distracted" (watching tv) could aid in subconsciously placing back normal.

Like Doug said, it takes a lot of know how to do it analytically, so the poor man's version is rest and short spurts.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: