• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Classical players and their "bright" sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chet_fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Classical players and their "bright" sound Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been listening to classical music a lot lately. Especially Christopher Martin and Philip Smith. They both have a sound that I would describe as being bright.

I am wondering how they achieve this. Obviously their expertise plays a role, but I am also considering whether mouthpiece design and horn choice can play into it as well.

They sound so joyful and I'd like to incorporate that into my own sound.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the visualizations/words that Peter Bond uses in his book, but I will state that it is my interpretation of them:

Top orchestral/classical pros play right in the center of the sound and it makes it very brilliant. It is about maximizing overtones and yes equipment does make a difference.

Equipment absolutely plays a factor in how to optimize for those results, but without the adjustment to approach you won't get there either.
chet_fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
I like the visualizations/words that Peter Bond uses in his book, but I will state that it is my interpretation of them:

Top orchestral/classical pros play right in the center of the sound and it makes it very brilliant. It is about maximizing overtones and yes equipment does make a difference.

Equipment absolutely plays a factor in how to optimize for those results, but without the adjustment to approach you won't get there either.

Interesting. So what is the equipment they would be using that helps them make that sound?
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things (all general statements, etc. etc.):
- tend to be yellow brass horns (lower copper content): this leads to a broader set of overtones rather than emphasizing the fundamental
- similarly medium to larger size cups giving a big but still well rounded baseline
- Standard (non-reversed) or hidden reverse leadpipes, ensuring the bracing to the bell helps with projection.

If you try a pro orchestral players setup (i.e. Rolfs plays on a Stork 2B+25C with a Yamaha NY C), you will probably hear somewhat the tendency. Playing the same equipment as a pro doesn't make you sound like them, but it can help!
chet_fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
Playing the same equipment as a pro doesn't make you sound like them, but it can help!

True words. I doubt I will ever get to that place.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW the popular Bach 229 C trumpet generally produces a bright penetrating sound. I'm sure there's a similar Yamaha model but I don't know which one compares.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Classical players and their "bright" sound Reply with quote

chet_fan wrote:
Hello all,

I've been listening to classical music a lot lately. Especially Christopher Martin and Philip Smith. They both have a sound that I would describe as being bright.

I am wondering how they achieve this. Obviously their expertise plays a role, but I am also considering whether mouthpiece design and horn choice can play into it as well.

It's interesting that you have posted this because for so long there was this idea that trumpet players need to darken their sound, and a whole culture with the trumpet was built around this idea.

When I think of the trumpet players I've always really enjoyed, I don't think any of their sounds would be considered to be "dark" - they all have very vibrant, lively sounds.

Wyton Marsalis - specifically his classical recordings
Empire Brass/Rolf Smedvig
Maurice Andre
Sergei Nakariakov

Some considered Bud Herseth's sound to be bright too. Huge, but bright.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece and horn can certainly influence your sound, but nothing beats playing right down the center with as free and easy lip vibration as possible.

Most folks play high on the pitch, which "clouds" or dulls the sound to a varying degree. Check into this and make sure you aren't playing too high. If you're playing a bathtub of a mouthpiece and you can't handle it, that will be a factor. If your trumpet weighs 10lbs (only kidding), that's a factor.

Seriously, strive for the most resonance you can possibly get. You will sound nasal/harsh/bright/buzzy in your ears when you are getting there. Don't shy away from it. "Let go" of the notes (don't squeeze your lips together) and allow your chops to vibrate. Your chops have one job. To vibrate and produce sound. They should just go along for the ride.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Classical players and their "bright" sound Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
chet_fan wrote:
Hello all,

It's interesting that you have posted this because for so long there was this idea that trumpet players need to darken their sound, and a whole culture with the trumpet was built around this idea.

When I think of the trumpet players I've always really enjoyed, I don't think any of their sounds would be considered to be "dark" - they all have very vibrant, lively sounds.

Wyton Marsalis - specifically his classical recordings
Empire Brass/Rolf Smedvig
Maurice Andre
Sergei Nakariakov

Some considered Bud Herseth's sound to be bright too. Huge, but bright.

I don't know that I would call it dark per se, but I've always thought Nakariakov had a darker sound than classical Wynton or Maurice. Part of that might be due to Sergei primarily playing a B flat trumpet rather than a C on his recordings, and playing a b flat trumpet that is almost entirely bronze and nickel at that. I don't have enough experience with Rolf's repertoire to compare him to anyone else.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
jcubed901

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll second Peter Bond’s book, “The Singing Trumpet”. He explains imagery that helps trumpet players develop a beautiful, resonant sound that carries throughout a room

Also, check out these resources. You can hear how different changes impact the sound:

1) Changing mental concept: Arturo Sandoval demonstrates 3 distinct sound approaches on the same trumpet + mp, https://youtu.be/5S_s88HkGOo?si=8ptRe0EDge5GPa2s

2) Changing mouthpiece: Trent Austin demos a Bach 72 with a 3c mp, then switches to a more efficient mp, https://youtu.be/G0A3F-a6nFU?si=XxbdP84hKwnhF4LR

3) Changing horns: Joe Babiak plays similar music on 52 different horns. A great way to see how horns impact the sound, https://youtu.be/ox1uXzMBp4I?si=TQeTnphP5GkdoHMi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: