• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

David Goggins vs. Trumpet Playing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: David Goggins vs. Trumpet Playing Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of David Goggins? Lost over 300lbs in 3mo (couch potato), became a Navy Seal, Ultra Marathon runner etc etc. He was and IS a BEAST!!

Could you do the same thing with trumpet playing or would you kill your chops and not even be able to play?

I'm talking about going in 100%, play play play, technique, CC range, learn jazz, learn classical - just be a beast (can't even define everything going in my head) on the trumpet? Can you play so hard that you actually hurt yourself?

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Trumpetstud on Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you consider a BEAST on the trumpet (modern Day)??
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: David Goggins vs. Trumpet Playing Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of David Goggins? Lost over 300lbs in 3mo (couch potato), became a Navy Seal, Ultra Marathon runner etc etc. He was and IS a BEAST!!

Could you do the same thing with trumpet playing or would you kill your chops and not even be able to play?

I'm talking about going in 100%, play play play, technique, CC range, learn jazz, learn classical - just be a beast (can't even define everything going in my head) on the trumpet? Can you play so hard that you actually hurt yourself?

Does that make sense?

wikipedia.com wrote:
He joined the reserves, eventually making the weight requirements to begin training as a SEAL after losing 106 lbs in three months.

CNBC also says 106. He started at nearly 300 lbs according to that article.

It is hard to believe. The CDC says a 1-4 pounds per week weight loss is normal. So he would have needed to lose 8.3 pounds per week to achieve 106 in 3 months. 🤷‍♂️
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing no help on this one?!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: David Goggins vs. Trumpet Playing Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:

Does that make sense? :)

------------------------------------------
Does what make sense?

If you're asking whether it is possible that someone (maybe 1 in a million of those who try) would be able to accomplish that on trumpet - then sure, it's 'possible'. Just like setting a world record is possible - many try, few succeed.

Does attempting that make sense? That's a whole different question. The 'big IFs' are: physical attributes, mental ability / toughness / dedication, work ethic, lifestyle and support, etc.

About playing too hard - yes it's possible to play so hard that it causes injury or other problems. It's also 'possible' to play a lot in a controlled manner so that it doesn't cause problems and gives continual improvement - the question is whether the player finds the 'right way'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (very well-informed) answer: NO !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: