• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet and Brass playing injuries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Trumpet and Brass playing injuries Reply with quote

Hi, I’m doing some research on brass playing injuries, yes, I’ve had some during my playing career. What I’m looking for is the injuries that occur often to brass players, avoidance strategies, etc. I’m finding things in journals, but I’m also looking for books, text books, periodicals, etc. I’m looking at the whole picture, head to toe.
Thanks, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reach out to Dr. Kayla Solomon, she did her dissertation on playing injuries and prevention.
https://www.kaylaosolomon.com/contact.html
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I’ll do that.
Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget repetitive use injuries. This would include carpal tunnel, trigger finger, and back injuries from the sedate lifestyle of a working musician.

I personally have had carpal surgeries on both wrists (one month apart, too), and five trigger finger surgeries. And I've got two more of those coming up around the end of the year.

The good news from my orthopedic doctor is just because you get trigger finger surgery one time on a specific joint does not mean trigger finger will not ever come back to that joint. There is always that possibility.

Also, every joint in your fingers can develop trigger. You can do the math on that to figure out how many.

And our sedate work lifestyle can cause back issues and can factor in on obesity,

So it ain't just cold sores & split lips!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, I’ll look into this.
BTW, I put the pixie mute I got from you to good use last night. I play in the ECU Symphonic Wind Ensemble. We played Slave last night at Duke University, I played the first solo with the pixie. The rest of the solos I did on a Harmon. I haven’t got to trying to duplicate the mute in wood yet. Will try after I finish this degree, one more semester to go.
Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulnar nerve entrapment at the wrist or elbow. Another fun one (or two - I have both).
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Thanks Tim, I’ll look into this.
BTW, I put the pixie mute I got from you to good use last night. I play in the ECU Symphonic Wind Ensemble. We played Slave last night at Duke University, I played the first solo with the pixie. The rest of the solos I did on a Harmon. I haven’t got to trying to duplicate the mute in wood yet. Will try after I finish this degree, one more semester to go.
Dave

Glad it worked out for ya!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m also looking at dystopia. Is it neurological, a catching up of bad playing habits on the chops, either or a combination there of? I can find journals, but nothing particularly on trumpet playing.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
I’m also looking at dystopia.

Do you mean "dystonia"? If trumpst playing can bring on a dystopia, well, heaven help us all! (Take your pick -- "1984", "Brave New World", "The Handmaid's Tale" . . . )

Perhaps a spellchecking function applied an unwanted change to your post.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, darn auto spell doesn’t recognize dystonia. I was talking with a trumpet teacher who has been teaching for years. He has a theory that focal dystonia may not only be neurological but maybe can be induced from years of playing incorrectly. Look at carpal tunnel brought on by years of repetitive motion, etc. Can similar issues happen with facial muscles?

Also, I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma 2 years ago. I was playing while looking in the mirror and noticed I had a dimple forming where I never had one. I also experienced a drop in endurance even though I was playing more. I looked up the symptoms and found that the tumor not only presses against the auditory nerve and balance, but also can affect the facial muscle. nerves. I’m happy to say that after radiation therapy the tumor is shrinking and playing is getting better.

Hey, I’m not stating fact, just researching. I don’t have dystonia, but do know of two horn players who have. It took many months of recovery to play again.
You forgot Atlas Shrugged.
Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try to make a list, I think you should include hearing injuries: hearing loss and tinnitus.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I got tinnitus a few years ago and my ENT just treated it as such only to find out a few years later I have an acoustic neuroma, brain tumor and it benign, forming. Had he done a CT scan earlier we might have caught it when it was operable.

I got tinnitus shortly after starting to use in ear monitors. One day the sound guy turned my monitor on and the volume was all the way up. I ripped them out of my ears and the tinnitus started, was noticeable, that day. It’s been screaming in my left ear since. Nothing was done until a couple years ago what I experienced a drastic hearing loss in my left ear. That’s when he did the CT scan and I got the bad news. My left ear will be deaf within a few years. As it is hearing is muffled, like in a box or under water, and I lost a great amount of word recognition. Last night while playing Slave it was so loud at times where my left ear fuzzed out and I had some slight pain. This happens only occasionally when percussion and low brass are very loud, fff. I bring an ear plug, just didn’t get it in.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
You forgot Atlas Shrugged.

That was in the " . . . "

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver Dill wrote a book, "Still Playing, My Journey Through Embouchure Surgery and Rehabilitation." I have a copy of it and wrote up a short review of it (https://wilktone.com/?p=3486), but I see the links where I bought the book are broken now. I think he still plays in the West Point band, so you could probably reach out to him there and see if the book is still in print.

Quote:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023 01:44 Post subject:
Reach out to Dr. Kayla Solomon, she did her dissertation on playing injuries and prevention.

The University of Illinois has made Dr. Solomon's dissertation available here:

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/items/127500

Quote:
He has a theory that focal dystonia may not only be neurological but maybe can be induced from years of playing incorrectly.

Yes, pretty much every player I've seen who has a breakdown in playing consistent with what gets called "embouchure dystonia" is switching between two different embouchure types. I think of it like lifting heavy objects with your back, you can get away with it for a while, but it can break down eventually.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilktone wrote:
Denver Dill wrote a book, "Still Playing, My Journey Through Embouchure Surgery and Rehabilitation." I have a copy of it and wrote up a short review of it (https://wilktone.com/?p=3486), but I see the links where I bought the book are broken now. I think he still plays in the West Point band, so you could probably reach out to him there and see if the book is still in print.

Quote:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023 01:44 Post subject:

The University of Illinois has made Dr. Solomon's dissertation available here:

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/items/127500

This is great and what I’m looking for. I emailed Dr. Solomon, but haven’t heard from her yet.

Thanks, Dave

Quote:
He has a theory that focal dystonia may not only be neurological but maybe can be induced from years of playing incorrectly.

Yes, pretty much every player I've seen who has a breakdown in playing consistent with what gets called "embouchure dystonia" is switching between two different embouchure types. I think of it like lifting heavy objects with your back, you can get away with it for a while, but it can break down eventually.

Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidental double post, trying to delete this one but it looks like "delete" is not an option.

Last edited by Doug Elliott on Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:45 pm; edited 10 times in total
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with that. I have seen and worked with dozens of players who were diagnosed with "focal dystonia" - some I had noticed before they started having problems, others came to me after, and some came to me after going through other treatments.

In every case there have been multiple placements, multiple embouchure types, and/or shifting that I consider to be the actual cause of the problem. You can't do weird stuff that is inconsistent and unrepeatable forever without running into serious problems eventually.

Musicians are great at "the show must go on," and hiding their problems, at any cost. Unfortunately it eventually catches up.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
I totally agree with that. I have seen and worked with dozens of players who were diagnosed with "focal dystonia" - some I had noticed before they started having problems, others came to me after, and some came to me after going through other treatments.

In every case there have been multiple placements, multiple embouchure types, and/or shifting that I consider to be the actual cause of the problem. You can't do weird stuff that is inconsistent and unrepeatable forever without running into serious problems eventually.

Musicians are great at "the show must go on," and hiding their problems, at any cost. Unfortunately it eventually catches up.

This was certainly true for me.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug and BTW, the lesson we did really helped. I haven’t had that issue since and moving ahead on my playing. I’ll contact you again soon. I’ve been extremely busy. I’m hating research papers.
Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: