• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going mental

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
This past week has been spring break at my school. I practiced VERY hard everyday over the past week. Yesterday (sunday) I could tell a HUGE difference in tone, range, technique, and endurance. Well, today at band I was TERRIBLE! It seemed as if I had not improved at all since last Friday. During practice I am so relaxed and confident, but during band rehearsal, I get so tense. One thing I do that is VERY bad is, after I have played my first note I unconsciously tell myself how many high notes I can play and how long I can play. I can not seem to lose this habit. It has been this way all year, I think it may be because I was moved up to first chair this year. I would like to really show everyone how good I REALLY am. Any tips on this?? Thanks.
trumpetnerd7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Goldenchops, I just had a Spring Break and i did the exact same thing as you. I practiced really really hard, was really happy with my playing, but then Monday i was not doing my best. One thing i can tell you to beat out the nervous feeling is just to be confident in yourself. If you say to yourself you know you will hit the notes, it will happen. I know the reason I was playing badly that first day was because I had overplayed, so that might be an issure as well. Hope this helps!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 14:08 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't totally apply here, but a good friend of mine told me something that pertains a little to this. He said you have to stop wanting to become better than others and show them what you can do. Instead you have to always try to be better than YOU! It's not something I fully understand or am able to do, but I am definitely working towards this idea. I imagine it will help me in performance situations as well.

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Goldenchops(double nickle),
You got first chair because of your ability. I assume you have been playing with the same group before. They know you can play.
You do not have to show to them how good you are. Relax and just play the way that got you there.

Have fun and enjoy,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Goldenchops!

I agree totally with what tcutrpt had to say regarding not trying to impress anyone. Once you start playing for YOU and the sake of the music, you will actually progress faster than you were before.

Another thing to remember is that your abiltiy behind the horn won't always be better than the time before, even if you are practicing your butt off. My abilities have waxed and waned over the last 10 years or so and lately things have been going really well, mainly because I quit thinking about what people were going to think of my playing and just started to try my best and to concentrate hard while practicing. I don't practice a lot these days, but the practice that I do get I make sure is quality practice.

Short, intense bursts of practice are the ticket, I believe.

Good luck. You certainly have the drive. Believe in yourself and you will go places!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
didge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that you get tense because range is an issue for you right now. Try not to sacrifice all the other (90%) notes in order to focus on a high passage or note. This might lessen some of the stress. Playing the trumpet, especially in a principal position, can be a very mental thing. Its hard to effuse confidence and lead your section/brass section if you are not confident in your playing. It sounds as if you are working on it and that, with exposure, will help you become a better trumper player. Keep working! By the way don't be afraid to use your assistant (2nd chair) to play some of the unison/loud passages. Do whatever it takes so that it will sound good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: