• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music you don't want to play

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Air Force arranger (Pomeroy?} wrote one decades ago that IMO is just as serviceable today as it was then. "If it ain't broke . . . "

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil war medleys... especially if they feature "Dixie".

Last edited by starkadder on Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
BStrad43 wrote:
There is a new invention called a computer with music notation programs that will split up the parts. USE IT!!!!!!!

Bingo. solo cornet parts in brass band arrangements, especially the older ones, where they try to cram everything onto one page to save paper can be a total nightmare. For those that aren't familiar with BB's, the 'solo' part is often divisi lines for four (usually) players. Sometimes it's unison, other times it broken apart into 2, 3, or even 4 parallel lines on the same staff.

More modern arrangements tend to break them up, either separate staffs on the same page, or separate parts Solo 1,2 on one part, 3,4 on the other, etc.

Anyway, the real nightmares come in when you have something like a 16th note runs (forgive me for not knowing what sort of 'quaver' that is in british parlance)... with accidentals all over the run, and them being 'inherited' or canceled out earlier in the bar by one of the other player's lines in that same bar.

You either memorize your part of it very carefully, so you don't have to look at that chicken scratch on the page ever again, or you break out your handy-dandy engraving software and rewrite the part so it's actually readable.

Your post is right on spot. I recall so many scores fiilled with this silly habit. One quite recently.... besides that these semi-quavers (quarter, quaver, semi-quaver) were to be played uptempo with four (!) different voices....I had to write down my own, just couldn´t distinguish. Upon this the lower parts often mean very tricky valve-combinations, the staff filled with miniscule additions of b or # in the thick of it.

While I´m at it: older english marches, ´round the time for the great war - or possibly even worse - french marches from the same period - cornet parts to be played in a hysterical fashion with these semi-quavers all over the place - arrgh!! Think of " Salut au 85ème" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKaO7wVG_Uo ). Poor guys who had to march along with this....dressed in silly operetta like outfits...

BTW I´ve played such silly marches, marching along, on a soprano cornet - another terrible experience often ending up with me almost suffocating before the grand final. Arrgh (2).
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I've found some of these arrangements very useable.

kehaulani wrote:
Some Air Force arranger (Pomeroy?} wrote one decades ago that IMO is just as serviceable today as it was then.

'Useable' and 'serviceable' imply 'not quite exciting'. Generally those arrangements aren't the problem pieces though.

Sometimes those 'try to be cute' arrangements work better than the ones that stick too close to the original but neglect the fact that the lyrics or the original instrumentation was the primary reason the original worked well, and as such becomes completely stale when rewritten for band (looking at you 'Jingle Bells Rock').
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Bingo. solo cornet parts in brass band arrangements, especially the older ones, where they try to cram everything onto one page to save paper can be a total nightmare. For those that aren't familiar with BB's, the 'solo' part is often divisi lines for four (usually) players. Sometimes it's unison, other times it broken apart into 2, 3, or even 4 parallel lines on the same staff.

SNIP

You either memorize your part of it very carefully, so you don't have to look at that chicken scratch on the page ever again, or you break out your handy-dandy engraving software and rewrite the part so it's actually readable.

Best way to deal with this sort of asinine part production is to make an A3 copy on heavy stock. Makes reading the notes easy and REALLY pi$$e$ the rest of the solo cornets off!
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one company that makes arrangements for "Jr." theatre shows.

Despite these Jr. shows being middle school versions of the real thing, the pit music is unbelievably poorly written and difficult.

Not only did the arrangement have a bunch of enharmonic notes that suggests it was a copy-paste job (think E sharps and C flats for no reason), but it was STUPID difficult.

There is no reason why the 1st trumpet book on (insert musical) Jr. should start on a double G.

I don't remember the company that produces these, but those who have played them, you know how bad they are.
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Dare I say it?
* In the Mood
* Stars and Stripes Forever

After half a century of having to play these (admittedly good works), I'm just maxed out.

I feel like I have every trumpet part of In the Mood memorized by now. And thats not bragging, its just so overplayed.
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stradbrother wrote:
I feel like I have every trumpet part of In the Mood memorized by now. And thats not bragging, its just so overplayed.

Just the trumpet parts or could you make a reasonable attempt at any of the other parts as well?
AR Resonance mouthpieces
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a Tonight Show arrangement (from the Doc era) of In The Mood that's just enough different from the oldie/goldie to be both familiar to the audience, and more fun for the band to perform (imo, anyway). We play it fairly often in a big band and it's a decent alternative to the Glenn Miller version. They put out a record years ago of this arrangement, and it's pretty darn impressive, because that was a smoking hot band back in the day.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the one you suggest? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryq3HxbGvM ?

If so I guess I played it quite recently in a rather good big band! (I didn´t play lead....)

Anyway - puts a lot of energy into your soul, lifting your mood...
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rap / hip-hop
ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

west side story, I simply did not. Who the heck decided that a double sharp was necessary and not confusing?
tjohanlon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
In college, I played a lot of music I truly did not have the desire to play. There were some pieces that grew on me. I have to admit, when I first encountered the music of Tony Plog, I was not amused. However, I began to see some very unique qualities in that music and I learned to enjoy it.

Most of the time, when we had to do compositions by fellow students, it was rather tedious.

Plog's works tend to be on the harder side, so sitting first chair and watching the rest of the section struggle with notes and rhythms was... tiresome. But when a good group was able to pull it together you're finally able to understand what was intended. I feel you, though, it's not immediately accessible.
LadFree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 words: Andrew Lloyd Weber
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi wrote:
west side story, I simply did not. Who the heck decided that a double sharp was necessary and not confusing?

Leonard Bernstein?
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Some Air Force arranger (Pomeroy?} wrote one decades ago that IMO is just as serviceable today as it was then. "If it ain't broke . . . "

Like it or not, the Armed Forces Medley (aka Armed Forces Salute) is no longer complete with the US Space Force's "Semper Supra". And sometimes, the services are presented in the incorrect order, which annoys me. There is an order of precedence of the services, defined by miltary protocol, tradition, and DOD policy; and the Space Force, the newest service, is last in precedence. For the musical medley, it is usual to present the songs in reverse order, with the song of the oldest service, the Army's "The Army Goes Rolling Along" last.

During peacetime, the Coast Guard Hymn "Semper Paratus" is optional, and has lower precedence than all the military armed services. During times of declared war, the Coast Guard is fully militarized, and comes between the Navy and the Air Force.

The offical and traditional order of precedence credits the Marine Corps as the second service and the Navy as the third. This is, of course, historically incorrect, but for some reason, the Secretary of the Navy has never pursued correcting this historical anomoly.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi wrote:

Correct spelling of accidentals is appropriate. It's only confusing until you learn to read music with all the possible accidentals, which is a very good thing to learn, and can avoid confusion.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt

Last edited by mm55 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Correct spellings of accidentals is appropriate. It's only confusing until you learn to read music with all the possible accidentals, which is a very good thing to learn, and can avoid confusion.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct!

However, I've found that ease of reading has its merits as well. Especially for the less musically savvy (and they matter too).
AR Resonance mouthpieces
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
mm55 wrote:
Correct spellings of accidentals is appropriate. It's only confusing until you learn to read music with all the possible accidentals, which is a very good thing to learn, and can avoid confusion.

However, I've found that ease of reading has its merits as well. Especially for the less musically savvy (and they matter too).

Cycling with training wheels may seem easier at first, but they're quite restricting. Remove the training wheels, and riding actually becomes easier. If you keep the trainers, you'll never be a cyclist.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt

Last edited by mm55 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
stuartissimo wrote:
mm55 wrote:

Cycling with training wheels may seem easier at first, but they're quite resticting. Remove the training wheels, and riding actually becomes easier. If you keep the trainers, you'll never be a cyclist.

Ever try riding a unicycle?

(don't ask me about this ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: