• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gig bag recommendation needed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
If you don't want to have a custom bag made, a flugel gig bag might work. From looking at pictures of that cornet, it appears to have a pretty tall valve casing in addition to the longer-than-standard length. Most flugelhorns I've seen are about 17-18" long and a standard flugel gig bag would probably fit the King Master cornet pretty easily, with some room for accessories.

Only if you already have a flugelhorn bag, I would say. The Master valve cylinder to finger button is 1/4" taller than a Bach 181 (the same height as my Olds Ambassador cornet), and the width of the underslung main slide is narrow enough to fit a lot of trumpet gig bags very nicely.(the width of many more typical wrap cornets won't fit a trumpet bag), and less than 3 inches shorter than most trumpets from bell to bow, and the bell is a couple of inches smaller than a flug, so a trumpet gig bag will fit just snug enough that it won't rattle around. You have just enough room there for a handy polishing cloth in the trumpet bag.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I'm not too late with the info - couldn't remember their name - but I got a quality gig bag from superfinecases.com. They can take your measurements and make the case/bag according to your specifications. Check 'em out.
https://superfinecases.com/

According to their website, they are taking a hiatus, but might be worth contacting them and ask how much longer a wait it might be. I don't know how long ago their notice went up.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Protec propack cornet case fits my short and my long cornet as well.

Regards

Hi giakara and everyone else

Can I take it that the Protec PB-312 cornet case will hold a Bach 184ML cornet?

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to be aware of with those quite affordable and compact Protec cornet cases.... as they travel with the cornet vertically, if for any reason you should drop it or have it slip off the shoulder, the bottom is lightly padded, but flat, so it has no support for the third slide.

I learned of this the hard way, when a 'bull in a china closet' on a nearby university campus came storming down some stairs I was going up... while I was going to perform there and carrying my normal double case, plus the Protec with a cornet inside for just one piece.

It took a direct fall to the landing on one of the floors, and the 3rd slide, with no support but air between it and the bottom of the case, got 'torqued' and ended up being out of alignment, rendering it nearly impossible to move for pitch adjustments until I took it to a trusted tech.

That said, it is a correctable problem, if you want to avoid the same potential damage. Put a soft towel in the bottom, folded near the bell end so it adds a little extra support to the 3rd slide area. The cornet still fits fine, the towel adds almost no weight and costs essentially nothing extra for some peace of mind.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
One thing to be aware of with those quite affordable and compact Protec cornet cases.... as they travel with the cornet vertically, if for any reason you should drop it or have it slip off the shoulder, the bottom is lightly padded, but flat, so it has no support for the third slide.

I learned of this the hard way, when a 'bull in a china closet' on a nearby university campus came storming down some stairs I was going up... while I was going to perform there and carrying my normal double case, plus the Protec with a cornet inside for just one piece.

It took a direct fall to the landing on one of the floors, and the 3rd slide, with no support but air between it and the bottom of the case, got 'torqued' and ended up being out of alignment, rendering it nearly impossible to move for pitch adjustments until I took it to a trusted tech.

That said, it is a correctable problem, if you want to avoid the same potential damage. Put a soft towel in the bottom, folded near the bell end so it adds a little extra support to the 3rd slide area. The cornet still fits fine, the towel adds almost no weight and costs essentially nothing extra for some peace of mind.

I originally bought a Protec cornet case for my 1870 Henry Lehnert SARV cornet, because I previously carried it in a period wooden “coffin” case when traveling with the band. While unloading the instruments one night, it fell out of the back of the van and the old horn’s bell was dented. The Protec case was just the thing for adding some better protection for the cornet in the field. My only criticism of the case is the same as yours - there isn’t much padding in the bottom. I added a piece of foam in the bottom for a bit more support and peace of mind.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
My only criticism of the case is the same as yours - there isn’t much padding in the bottom. I added a piece of foam in the bottom for a bit more support and peace of mind.

Never considered that, but now that you mention it, I think I'll add some padding to mine. Thanks to you both for the heads up.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Thanks very much RandyTX. All very useful information.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Dale. I’ll add some foam to the bottom of mine also, when it arrives.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t remember if I said anything useful lol, but if I did, you are very welcome.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny. I’m looking for a bag for my 1959 King Silversonic cornet. The main problem is the height. It stands just shy of 8 inches to the top of the bell.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really knowing the measurements of the Op's instrument, all I can say is that being a bit of a case-fetishist, and having LOADS of different gig bags, the Cronkhite- or OLD Reunion Blues bags is by far the best I've used.

No other bag I've had has survived-while protecting the horn inside-like my Reunion Blues single trumpet bag in leather I got as a present from my dad 42 years ago.

I still use it to this day...
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, what did you end up going with?
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messina Covers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: