• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenoAndrew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Scam? Reply with quote

Just got an email in response to a Marketplace ad I posted two days ago. Inquiring party asked for more photos to be sent to "Dad" @ Cristirona3312@gmail.com.

Looking at the scam alert, I see others have received similar requests. Does this seem legit or have I exposed myself to another scammer trolling on Trumpet Herald?
Schilke B2 #3162
Carol Brass Baro model
Scodwell B flat custom model raw brass
Scodwell Custom Euro rotary valve flugelhorn
Schilke XA1 cornet
Olds Fullerton Flugelhorn
Bach Stradivarius 72 w/Pilczuk lead pipe
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a google search on that email address, 4 hours ago, an identical Inquirey / request was made by a new user of a site Head-fi.com selling a set of headphones. The email address to send “Dad” the photos was written out as “ cristirona3312 AT gmail dot co m”
It certainly looks like your suspicions are well warranted.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/zmf-aeolus-ziricote-wood-limited.57013/
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCAM!
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an inquiry about a Taylor trumpet I had listed. But he seems more interested in "large pictures" than anything. No discussion of price or history on the horn or what is included.

Sound familiar?

Are people getting pix to set up false advertising offers elsewhere? Only thing I can think of.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Just got an inquiry about a Taylor trumpet I had listed. But he seems more interested in "large pictures" than anything. No discussion of price or history on the horn or what is included.

Sound familiar?

Are people getting pix to set up false advertising offers elsewhere? Only thing I can think of.

They likely are setting up fake ads if I had to guess. I recently thought I found a callet jazz for a good deal on eBay, but then I looked and there were 5 ads with the same pictures!!!! Then I found a sixth that I thought was different but it had two of the same pictures as well. Disappointing…
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:

Sound familiar?

Have you done a Google search on their email address? You can frequently find scammers in this way, but not always.

-td
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
huntman10 wrote:

Sound familiar?

Have you done a Google search on their email address? You can frequently find scammers in this way, but not always.

-td

PM sent.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started listing on REVERB and every ad within an hour generated a similar e-mail asking for communication outside of the system. When I looked into replying WITHIN the Reverb communication system, it said that user wasn't available.

Quote:
"Would it be possible if you can forward these pictures to my father's email address pattersonty067@gmail.com? We are interested in purchasing and would like to arrange for pickup as well. Thanks for your cooperation."

Quote:
"Hi. This is Kate I'm quite interested in this instrument, this would be such an amazing collection for my studio and for my forthcoming gigs, I'm positive my son would love this too. I need to know why you're selling it and what the condition is currently. Kindly send more pictures if available to my email Katewillams926@gmail.com so we can discuss further."

Flugelhorn for sale generated this:
Quote:
This lovely, Please consider it sold. Could you please forward these pictures to my step-dad, is prepared to pay on stillwhite and arrange for the pickup? His email address is 8198paul00 at Gmail.

ryan paul Dec 16, 2023 05:02 AM

Bugle listed generated this:
Quote:

This lovely, Please consider it sold. Could you please forward these pictures to my step-dad, is prepared to pay on stillwhite and arrange for the pickup? His email address is 8198paul00 at Gmail.

ryan paul Dec 16, 2023 05:02 AM

Another instrument:
Quote:
Hi, I am interested.. Please message my cell! 315..617..6819.. I prefer to talk there, but that doesn't mean I won't pay with reverb. Thanks Michael

Michael Landon Dec 13, 2023 11:00 PM

Seems to be a pattern
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When working with a potential buyer, always ask that they call you and then give them your phone number. Scammers never call. They may then give you some B.S. about why they can't call, so just repeat "No call. No sale." It saves time. You don't have to research the scam or try and determine who they really are.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyson wrote:
When working with a potential buyer, always ask that they call you and then give them your phone number. Scammers never call. They may then give you some B.S. about why they can't call, so just repeat "No call. No sale." It saves time. You don't have to research the scam or try and determine who they really are.

Very wise advice.

-td
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: